HOW TO REPLACE SPEAKERS W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:eek: ermm , quite a few , ehh..

A Co axle speaker in place of a component .

Replace a component for a component .
lgGqrbjr.jpg

Is there no adapters and wiring available so you don't have to destroy existing speaker .
Existing stock speaker , probably a sellable item .
20140927_125808_zpsdcbd9f30.jpg

There was a superb opportunity to do some panel damping on the door skin , OK not sure about how much hassle the riveted inner metal panel is .
3849e98b-ff92-4280-9544-9b6396832296_zps2fdda5d7.jpg

Last edited:
Not a sound guy only want to have worked sound that’s why I replaced them. Yess I know about adapters for new speakers but this was totally destroyed normal problem for this car so why buy adapters when I can use this broken speakers and save money.

Yess ofc nice with panel dampers but only needed working sound for now! Don’t have any good shops over here next project may be damping all doors and put decent speakers in. This was a fast work and show the principle how to replace speakers for W212

Last edited:
That’s what my shop had on the shelves Working sound was my goal. Not a pro sound installation.

Yess! Sound it’s not that deep as original because of this replaced speakers but much better then broken original. Next upgrade I go definitely with competent ✌️

Alpine have always had overly bright tweeters .

I’m putting in a set of Spr60-C’s that have an adjustable crossover.
I like Alpine speakers and have used them for years without finding them too bright.

:)

I can highly recommend Focal component speakers e.g. 165AS. I made my own adapters from MDF.

TBH pretty much anything will be an improvement on the stock items :D

Indeed!

The Alpines will be an improvement even if they are not ‘top drawer’

I've replaced a component (which had capacitors as it was OEM audio crap from the 90s) with a co-ax in the past and I replaced the stock tweeters too.

It worked really well and gave me more clarity at the top end.

One can still knock off the bottom frequencies on a component if running larger woofers.

I've tried Focal previously and I found them to be very harsh midrange upwards so I would advise anyone to try before you buy if you can!

I've replaced a component (which had capacitors as it was OEM audio crap from the 90s) with a co-ax in the past and I replaced the stock tweeters too.

It worked really well and gave me more clarity at the top end.

One can still knock off the bottom frequencies on a component if running larger woofers.

I've tried Focal previously and I found them to be very harsh midrange upwards so I would advise anyone to try before you buy if you can!

I find the Focal needs the crossover set to -3db on the 3 way switch to get a flattish response.

Did this yesterday following this guide, I added a reasonable amount of sound proofing and set the Alpine crossovers to -6db for the tweeters.

Well worthwhile and a huge improvement, thanks for the guide

It took me about 2hrs for the first door and 90 minutes for the second for anybody thinking about it. The door cards are beautifully engineered and come off easily. Just remember to put the top rubber window seal back onto the door frame before pushing the card back on.

The find dialog can be opened by clicking the sidebars search.
But if I want to open the replace dialog I must do it by pressing the keyboard CtrlR now.

How to open Repalce dialog just by clicking one sidebars icon?
Or open the Replace dialog by clicking one icon inside the find dialog after opening the search icon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom