How to replace W209/203 gear knob gaiter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zibmerc

Car
CLK 320 Elegance W209 2003
This maybe asked before but I couldn't find it :confused:

Sorry but my gaitor has cigarette burn in it as the prev owner was a smoker :mad:!

So I plan to replace it using replacement leather gaiter from ebay or even used parts.

Question is how to remove it?

Cheers

The gaiter itself should just pull out of the surround.
To remove the gear knob twist the black plastic cone (visible after the gaiter is lifted up) 90 degrees and pull the (gear) knob upwards upwards.

still no joy. it is quite tight. won't budge.can i use pliers?

Afraid I might break something and cause more expensive repairs .

The black knurled thing turns the other way to what you expect - should be able to do it with your fingers

Once its loose, make sure you disconnect any wires connected to the panel youve lifted (if you have, probably dont need to but sometime easier to remove the whole surround) and then pull the knob upwards expecting it to suddenly come loose ..

Richard

Assuming you have managed to lift up the gaiter...

At the base of the gear knob there is an inverted black plastic cone. This needs to be turned 90 degrees.
I think it is clockwise as you look down on the gear knob.

New Leather, Old Shift Knob

This maybe asked before but I couldn't find it :confused:

Sorry but my gaitor has cigarette burn in it as the prev owner was a smoker :mad:!

So I plan to replace it using replacement leather gaiter from ebay or even used parts.

Question is how to remove it?

Cheers

Hi,

I know this thread is quite old but I am having a similar problem. I have been able to remove the gear knob but how do remove the old leather from the knob itself and fit the new leather into the old gear knob? My car is a 2003 CLK240 Coupé Avantgarde with manual gear shifting. I am about to order the leather from ebay (white stitch FITS MERCEDES CLK W209 GEAR KNOB GAITER ONLY 2002-2009 MANUAL | eBay) Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2016-10-09 23.30.28.jpg
    2016-10-09 23.30.28.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom