How to run two computers side by side ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Ok techie chaps and and boffin chapesses .....

I have bought another computer through the 'salary sacrifice' scheme at work :bannana: however, i want to run it through my existing monitor as it only comes with a 19" tft (piffle ;) ) , i would like to run both computers side by side and just 'switch' between them as and when i choose....

Presumably someone does a box that you just plug them both into , have one keyboard,mouse, modem and monitor etc and just press a button to select 'computer 1' or 'computer 2' :confused:

I'm on a budget ladies and gentlemen, so keep the ideas cheap please !! :eek:

Bear in mind i'm a complete computer novice !

make sure that the KVM you buy will run at the resolutions and the refresh rates you want, a colleague just bought one that falls apart if you want more than 800x600! :eek:

Howard said:
Presumably someone does a box that you just plug them both into , have one keyboard,mouse, modem and monitor etc and just press a button to select 'computer 1' or 'computer 2' :confused:

Forgot to mention, it really is as simple as plugging the PC into the KVM. Mouse port to mouse port, keyboard to keyb..... Then plug in the monitor, keyboard and mouse in to the KVM and flick between the two at will.

Don't forget, you usually have to buy the extention cables seperately, but check the link from the post above.

Next step is two network the to computers and your sorted! ;)

Alex

Last edited:
Wicked ..... sounds much simpler than i had imagined !!

can you run two pc's off one modem too ?

It depends on what sort of modem you are talking about.
If it is a standalone ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection then the answer is probably yes. Otherwise it is a lot more complicated.
Mac.

If it is dial-up i would not recomend sharing the connection because of the slow downloads, but what you could is install the modem and internet settings on both machines and swap a cable between the two depending on which one your on. Nowhere near ideal, so broadband/networking would be the best option.

Alex

machasm said:
standalone ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection
Mac.

Huh :confused:

Be gentle with me, :crazy: its a green one , i think its called a Stingray, its ADSL 1mb , i have had it for a couple of years now and its on Freeserve...

any help ?

Howard said:
Huh :confused:

Be gentle with me, :crazy: its a green one , i think its called a Stingray, its ADSL 1mb , i have had it for a couple of years now and its on Freeserve...

any help ?

Lol. Speedtouch? I have tried doing that for a mate, but was bit of a headache using XP ICS (internet connection sharing). If you get a cheapo ADSL modem/gateway with more than one port on the back you can share the internet/files on either computer.

Speedtouch, thats the very one .....

Is it do-able then ?

Hmmmm ok, spanner in the works here......

Old PC runs 2000 pro new one will be XP home .....

OK , so i need a 2 port switch ?

Last edited:
Howard said:
Hmmmm ok, spanner in the works here......

Old PC runs 2000 pro new one will be XP home .....

OK , so i need a 2 port switch ?

Yep, they will all be at least two port, but if you think you might be getting another pc go for a 4.

Good luck

Alex

Do both your PCs have an ethernet connection available?
That is a connector which terminates into an RJ45 connector (a square one with about 8 or 9 connections sometimes with an icon showing 3 pcs connected together).
If it does then I would suggest throwing the USB modem out and getting something like a netgear DG632 you can pick them up for about £40.
This will allow you then to connect as many pcs as you like and all share the same ADSL connection.
The problem with ICS is that in order for any machine to have access to the net means that the machine hosting ICS must be switched on.
With a seperate ethernet modem you only need the machine you are accessing the net from to be on.
It will also act as a natural firewall helping to prevent prying eyes.
Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom