How to Safely Raise Car when on Gravel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
I would like to be able to jack up my car to remove the wheels for cleaning occasionally. Problem is my driveway/parking area is gravelled (river pebbles).
Perhaps use a square of checker plate under the jack? Mind you, not even certain the OE jack will fit under my lowered car!

Would a trolley jack be ok to use on the gravel? Could be awkward to position?

Try putting the trolley jack on top of a a square thin piece of wood, or ideally a sheet of metal, for it to slide freely. I do this on my driveway as the tarmac is soft as cheese, as the trolley wheels just sink in to the tarmac otherwise.

Seriously though, a trolley jack always worked for me. Might sweep the gravel to one side to the hardcore, or use wood or other slab type material under the jack.

Any recommendations on a very low trolley jack?

I use a couple of 10 mil thick interlocking rubber mats originally sold for gyms. Every now and again I jack up a 2.5 tonne ML and put it on axle stands and they are excellent - not a mark.

You can try something like Eco Tile (Industrial Flooring and Commercial Flooring solutions from Ecotile), they sell garage tiles, which are the same thing just a bit thinner. Still should do the job.

Does anyone have experience of Liftmaster trolley jacks? They seem to do a good range of steel and ally jacks. Their 2ton steel jack for £40 has a good reach and low entry. Doesn't weigh more than the ally 'racing' version.

Does anyone have experience of Liftmaster trolley jacks? They seem to do a good range of steel and ally jacks. Their 2ton steel jack for £40 has a good reach and low entry. Doesn't weigh more than the ally 'racing' version.

I've got a liftmaster low profile jack, it's pretty good.. doesn't damage the sideskirts - unlike how the spare wheel jack would.

Neat socket holder on side of the LED equipped version?

IIRC Dieselman speaks highly of a lo-pro jack at CostCo.

A trolley jack must be able to run under the car as it lifts.

A trolley jack must be able to run under the car as it lifts.

That's been a concern on mine. The supporting sheet must allow the jack to roll in under the car as it lifts. I'm not lifting very high, just enough to remove a wheel, the coil-overs shouldn't have that much travel hopefully!

An 18mm ply sheet with a foot or so extra length should be ok?

I like the first one, it's low cost and the body remains low profile, whereas the more expensive ones, especially the ally versions tend to 'thicken up' quite quickly? Not sure I need to reach that far under the car though?

An 18mm ply sheet with a foot or so extra length should be ok?

Sounds more than amble. At most the jack will only need to slide the same length as the jack arm length, and that's to raise it vertical, which by the sounds of it you wont be doing.

I like the first one, it's low cost and the body remains low profile, whereas the more expensive ones, especially the ally versions tend to 'thicken up' quite quickly? Not sure I need to reach that far under the car though?

I'd be surprised if you can find anything cheaper and better. 12kg isn't so bad if you can just drag it along the ground from the garage to the car.

IIRC Dieselman speaks highly of a lo-pro jack at CostCo.

I do and would buy another in a flash.

This is the one, it's a great jack, low pad height, high lift, easy to use and very stable.

41tn6am3oWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My advice for jacking low cars is to use low ramps (a brick and a plank will do) to lift the car up, then a trolley jack on a piece of 3/4" or 1" ply wood.

My 2nd bit of advice is to avoid cheap DIY jacks, they are more hassle than they are worth and break after a couple of years use.

Last edited:
As I don't have access to CostCo I'm a bit stumped as to where to buy the Arcan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom