How to squeal on a non UK licence holder ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grasmere

Car
MB C220 D 1996
My brother is aware (somehow) that a neighbour drives on a Canadian licence and has done here for over 15 years because she hasnt bothered to get a UK one.

I assume this is 'illegal' :confused:

His concern is that were she to cause an accident then her insurance would be invalid and hence the poor devil she hits has a problem.

His question is thus: is it illegal and if so what is the best way to 'bubble' her to the correct department so she gets her licence validated or whatever is needed.

Any ideas guys :devil:

Not too sure exactly but my wife has a US license which was only good for 1 year after entry to the UK. Then she had to take her test over here.
I believe your neighbour can either surrender her license and exchange for a UK one, or apply for a provisional and take the test.

thanks Locky - if she 'wanted to' she could do whatever is necessary but the concern is that she isnt going to do anything because she is not interested.

Hence the query, whats the best way to 'bubble' her to force her to get it sorted?

not too sure really. Police probally won't be interested.
Maybe here?!?
Driver Licensing Division
Customer Enquiries (Drivers) Unit
Swansea
SA6 7JL
Tel: 0870 240 0009
Fax: 01792 783071
Email: [email protected]

Best people to grass her to are probably Crimestoppers 0800 555 111

That's pretty stupid of her, because:

As the DVLA Site states for Canadian Licence holders:

Provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive small vehicles for 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a GB licence must be obtained before this period elapses, by exchanging your licence for a GB one. If you do not do this you must stop driving although you may apply to exchange your licence at any time within 5 years of becoming resident.

thanks Fandango, looks like DVLA is a start, I'll email them with the query ;)

Perhaps your brother could write to the DVLA, not from himself but 'from' his neighbour.

"Dear DVLA, I moved here 15 years ago and have recently become concerned that I am driving without a licence, what do I need to do...

Yours
Confused Canadian"

If reported her to DVLA/Police my guesses are that they would do nothing and you/they would have to prove that she has been driving for more than the permitted time period i.e. 6 months/1 year for example :rolleyes:

Foreign Licenses are okay for 12 months.
Then, some countries (mainly EU and commonwealth) licenses can be exchanged for a full UK license. DVLA can tell you.
My first license was a Russian one and I then had to take a UK test.
I now have 2 licenses because Russian ones don't qualify for the exchange.

What the Canadian is doing is definitely illegal.
Driving without a valid license is an offence the police take very seriously - witness all the yobs caught driving whilst disqualified or without any license whatsoever. The Canadian has NO excuse.

All Plodd has to do is wait at the end of the road when they leave for work in the morning (I assume in a car) to catch them at it.

What I am interested to know about is the insurance angle - how can they be properly insured?

Les

As far as I understand it if you have comprehensive insurance then regardless of your own status a 3rd party will always be covered.

DITTRICH said:
Foreign Licenses are okay for 12 months.
Then, some countries (mainly EU and commonwealth) licenses can be exchanged for a full UK license. DVLA can tell you.

For EU licences it's actually 3 years.

Is a foreign license only valid for 6/12 moths A). From the date when the foriegn person first enters the UK or B). From when the license holder starts to first drive in the UK???

If option B). applies then the offender will get off with it unless the Police catch them i.e. few months later on in the same scenario few months down the line.

Flash said:
Is a foreign license only valid for 6/12 moths A). From the date when the foriegn person first enters the UK or B). From when the license holder starts to first drive in the UK???

DVLA says "from the date of coming to GB", so A.

But when you apply for insurance you declare that you have a valid UK license and how long you have held it for - therefore she must be lying to her insurance company which will invalidate her insurance in full - so I would have thought no 3rd party cover.:mad: :mad: So really she's wasting her money paying for insurance anyway - if she is bothering at all that is;)

People like her make my blood boil as they seem to think it doesn't apply to them as they are not yobs etc. I can onoly begin to imagine though the number of similar cases that there must be in and around Harrogate because of Menwith Hill.:rolleyes:

pammy said:
But when you apply for insurance you declare that you have a valid UK license and how long you have held it for - therefore she must be lying to her insurance company which will invalidate her insurance in full - so I would have thought no 3rd party cover.:mad: :mad: So really she's wasting her money paying for insurance anyway - if she is bothering at all that is;)

People like her make my blood boil as they seem to think it doesn't apply to them as they are not yobs etc. I can onoly begin to imagine though the number of similar cases that there must be in and around Harrogate because of Menwith Hill.:rolleyes:

Very valid points there Pammy that you have made!!! You should become a Lawyer...;) :)

I say grass the "b*tch" up ASAP... :devil:

Last edited:
Whats 'Menwith Hill' ? :confused:

Sounds like a name from a Sherlock Holmes novel ........ or a lunatic asylum ...

'Send him to Menwith Hill ........ '

pammy said:
But when you apply for insurance you declare that you have a valid UK license and how long you have held it for

Normally they just ask if you hold a full UK licence. It's quite valid to say "no" ... as mentioned, you can drive legally in the UK for 3 years on an EU licence.

But you're right in that whether her insurance is valid or not depends on what she told the company. I think if she declared that she only has a Canadian licence and they didn't query it then she'd probably be OK, even though she's driving illegally. If she's lied then her insurance would definitely be void.

I may be wrong but I think the invalidation thing is a myth. I remember having a discussion with my insurance company - something along the lines of "nothing in this document affects the right of a 3rd party to claim" - so if you lie about circumstances then they can refuse to pay out for your costs but not someone elses. Drink driving 'invalidates' your insurance in the same way.

Howard said:
Whats 'Menwith Hill' ? :confused:

Sounds like a name from a Sherlock Holmes novel ........ or a lunatic asylum ...

'Send him to Menwith Hill ........ '

It's the American Listening centre. Often on the news for tree hugging protesters screaming for privacy etc. Loads of Golf balls sitting on the top of a beautiful hill just to the west of Harrogate.

http://cndyorks.gn.apc.org/mhs/

But isn't this all bureaucratic make work nonsense?
As in other araes shouldn't we be able to recognise other people's qualifications, driving licences, medical entitlements and so on?
I have had to change my British Licence for a Luxembourg one. Why? What purpose does it serve? We should be encouraging less of this, not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom