How to start a motorbike when it hasn't been used for a while?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

christopherwk

Car
2016 E220d SE Cavansite Blue/Macchiato Beige
As the thread title suggests...

As the weather seems to be ok at the moment, I've decided to take the bike out as I haven't used it for about a month and a half, maybe almost two now, and not being technically minded, what's the best way to start it?

It's a 2004 Honda CBF600S (44,000 miles), carb and a choke (manual). It's been garaged throughout.

So, it's choke fully out, ignition on, then start.

How long should I press the engine start for without draining the battery if it doesn't start immediately? (which I doubt it would).

Keep the throttle closed or open, or slightly open?

Thanks!

Hope to get it started! :)

As the thread title suggests...

As the weather seems to be ok at the moment, I've decided to take the bike out as I haven't used it for about a month and a half, maybe almost two now, and not being technically minded, what's the best way to start it?

It's a 2004 Honda CBF600S (44,000 miles), carb and a choke (manual). It's been garaged throughout.

So, it's choke fully out, ignition on, then start.

How long should I press the engine start for without draining the battery if it doesn't start immediately? (which I doubt it would).

Keep the throttle closed or open, or slightly open?

Thanks!

Hope to get it started! :)

Yes as you say.

So, it's choke fully out, ignition on, then start. Only small amount of throttle. If you use too much throttle you will flood the engine and it will not start. Gradually reduce the choke after it starts to keep smooth running.

If it doesn't start and the battery starts to faulter, leave it for 5 minutes then try again. If it still won't start recharge battery and try again. If you have flooded it, again, leave it for 10 minutes.

May be useful to turn petrol tap (tried to use c*ck but got censored!) to prime for 60 secs or so to top up carbs, fuel will have evaporated somewhat. If it's anything like my Suzuki 750, jumps leads may be required!!

Last edited:
Have you kept the battery on an Optimate or similar charger during the time the bike's been laid up? If not then the battery will be quite low after six weeks (Honda's HISS system still draws a few milliamps even when it's gone into "sleep" mode) so it will probably require charging.

Other than that, it should start up without too much difficulty. If it needs a lot of cranking to get it going then crank it in 5 second or so bursts and leave about 20-30 seconds between cranking attemps for the starter motor to cool down. One tip if it's reluctant to start is to drain the stale fuel from the carb float chambers - there's a screw on each to allow you to do this - and then let the float chambers refill with fresh fuel from the tank.

Unleaded fuel goes off really quickly, if you ever intend to leave a bike for longer than a month or so, either put in some fuel conditioner,which you get easiest from lawnmower shops, or drain it completely.. When old fuel evaporates it leaves behing a horrible sticky varnish which totally gums up your carbs.

I'd drain the carb bowls as said above, pull the fuel pipe off and drain the tank,then get some fresh fuel to start it,may save a lot of churning on a weak battery,and with some bikes trying to start on a weak battery can knacker sprag clutches etc....

Six or eight weeks - just stick the key in and fire her up! :D

I'd be surprised if you had any real troubles, aside from possibly a low battery.

I've seen many bikes start without hiccup that have been standing much longer than that :eek:

Maybe check the tyre pressures, give it a reasonable run in the daylight to charge the battery, and top it up with fresh fuel.

Let us know how it goes :)

Will

if it was a real bike with a kick start(BSA TRIUMPH NORTON AJS) you could do what ever you wanted and it would start after laying up for years not months .or maybe im just old and jealous :devil::rock:

Even my old 2-stroke Yamahas used to start on the first few kicks after sitting for months/years.

Starter motor - what's that? :eek:

Will

Even my old 2-stroke Yamahas used to start on the first few kicks after sitting for months/years.

Starter motor - what's that? :eek:

Will

Petrol is different now,old 4 star never used to give problems,but this new fangled unleaded stuff is different!

Here's what BP say...

Applications

BP Regular Unleaded is a 91 octane grade fuel that has no added lead compounds (as required by legislation 1986). All vehicles produced since that date must use unleaded fuel. BP Unleaded is also suitable for most agricultural, outboard and motorcycle engines (see the owner's manual).

BP Regular Unleaded contains a detergent additive which helps maintain new car performance and minimize exhaust emissions. The detergent will prevent the build up of deposits on fuel injectors, on carburetor throats and on inlet valves and ports. This detergent additive will also significantly reduce existing deposits in a dirty engine. BP Regular Unleaded is seasonally blended to help cars start easily and give best fuel economy all year round.

Fuel for use in spark ignition engines designed to use Unleaded Petrol with a research octane up to 91. Not for Aviation use.

When stored under appropriate conditions the storage life of of this product is 1 year. Note that the volatility of BP Regular Unleaded will change monthly so that there are seasonal variations in composition,

Petrol is different now,old 4 star never used to give problems,but this new fangled unleaded stuff is different!

Here's what BP say...

Applications

BP Regular Unleaded is a 91 octane grade fuel that has no added lead compounds (as required by legislation 1986). All vehicles produced since that date must use unleaded fuel. BP Unleaded is also suitable for most agricultural, outboard and motorcycle engines (see the owner's manual).

BP Regular Unleaded contains a detergent additive which helps maintain new car performance and minimize exhaust emissions. The detergent will prevent the build up of deposits on fuel injectors, on carburetor throats and on inlet valves and ports. This detergent additive will also significantly reduce existing deposits in a dirty engine. BP Regular Unleaded is seasonally blended to help cars start easily and give best fuel economy all year round.

Fuel for use in spark ignition engines designed to use Unleaded Petrol with a research octane up to 91. Not for Aviation use.

When stored under appropriate conditions the storage life of of this product is 1 year. Note that the volatility of BP Regular Unleaded will change monthly so that there are seasonal variations in composition,

The bikes that I used to have were only around the very late 90s/early 00s - perhaps I was lucky as I'm sure they would have been sitting with unleaded in them! :eek:

Not saying it's ideal but it can work - I'm sure the odd lawnmower gets left for 6+ months and they normally start okay too :)

Will

Last edited:
LOL, my first job when I left school was as a Horticultural Mechanic.. Lots of problems we had were caused by stale fuel,this would have been around 1992 ish!

Lawn Mower Winter Storage - Briggs & Stratton

"Avoid Gasoline Problems

Gas Left In Machine Over Winter or Gas is Just Bad
Modern gas, designed for cars and not for small gas engines, does not store very well, compared to gasoline sold 20 years ago. In fact, gas should really be used up within 30 days of purchase, making that 5 gallon gas can your Dad used obsolete in most home situations today. After modern gas has been stored for more than 30 days, oxygenated fuel (gasohol and other blends) become stale and lose the volatility needed to start a small engine. So buy your gas in either a one, but no more than a two gallon storage can.

All small gas engines MUST be drained each fall after the mowing season or you are unlikely to be able to start your engine in the spring; UNLESS you use a gas stabilizer product which everyone should now use in all gasoline engines. The best technique is to run your mower dry after that last mowing job. If you have to drain the tank, put the old gas into your car’s gas tank; it will not hurt the car and that is good environmental approach to dealing with waste gas.

If you have bad gas in your tank, preventing the engine from starting, you must drain the gas from the tank (put it into your car’s tank), and be sure to push that little primer button a few times to get any bad gas out of the system that you can. Then refill the tank with fresh gas and try again. It may take a few pulls to get the new gas throughout the system, but if all other parts of the engine are in good condition, you should be able to start the engine."

Carburetor Is Gummed Up
If you left gas in the engine all winter, the chances are good that the carburetor has become clogged with gummy staff resulting from the evaporation of that old gas. Unless you are skilled and experienced in repairing small gasoline engines, this is a job for the professional. Take you mower to your local mower repair shop to fix this problem.

P.S. my bike used to sit for a few weeks at a time in the garage. Always went out every few days and cleaned/started them... Hated the weather for stopping me from using it!!

Last edited:
Maybe it's luck then - I lent a a friend of mine a Honda engined wacker plate the other week which had been sitting for a good 6 months and it started up on the second pull without touching the fuel.

Another friend also parked up an old 2.0 190E for 6+ months and that started straight away (not even a flat battery - jammy git!)

I'm pretty certain that one of my bikes had been sitting for over 2 years and that still started up and ran.

There's got to be a point when the fuel is so bad that it won't start but maybe it's a little longer than the 1 year that BP mention - it can't just suddenly go from being okay to totally stale at exactly 1 year old?

Will

I've never had problems in bikes myself,but did have real hassle with a mates X1/9 which had been lying for a good few years.. took a hell of a lot of work to clean out the fuel system,and that smell will stay with me forever. Stale fuel STINKS!

<- It was the one in my avatar come to think of it!!

The question is DID IT START Christopher????:confused:

Please let us know.;)

Yes it did!

Second time though.

Pressed start button for ten seconds or so, it started then died again, didn't want to add too much throttle to flood the engine.

Second time it started fine! :bannana:

The bike doesn't have HISS, but has a Datatool Alarm, and hasn't been on an optimate or anything. The battery is less than a year old , so I thought it'd be ok. Got a battery charger anyway.

The bike has a full tank of fuel though (Shell Optimax), so I'm sure it'd have been ok for 6-8 weeks?

Anyway a ridearound and all is ok. Felt a bit lumpy for the first few miles/minutes, but fine after that!

Unleaded fuel goes off really quickly, if you ever intend to leave a bike for longer than a month or so, either put in some fuel conditioner,which you get easiest from lawnmower shops, or drain it completely.. When old fuel evaporates it leaves behing a horrible sticky varnish which totally gums up your carbs.

I'd drain the carb bowls as said above, pull the fuel pipe off and drain the tank,then get some fresh fuel to start it,may save a lot of churning on a weak battery,and with some bikes trying to start on a weak battery can knacker sprag clutches etc....

I think this happened to my Dads Yamaha Virago 535 , he had right pain getting it going after the bike had been stood a while, he had to remove both carbs and clean them out!

I've never had problems in bikes myself,but did have real hassle with a mates X1/9 which had been lying for a good few years.. took a hell of a lot of work to clean out the fuel system,and that smell will stay with me forever. Stale fuel STINKS!

<- It was the one in my avatar come to think of it!!
i agree with your comment about the 850volvo 2.5 I part exchanged mine for the merc and it had never let me down in 8 years,still not sure which one was the best

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the damage that can be done to a bike engine if you do try to start it first time.

I have 2 bikes, both of which only get good weather use(so not much in the UK then;))

The bikes are on CTek battery conditioners so no problems with the batteries.
However, to ensure that the engines don't fire up without any oil at the top end I run the starter for at least 5 seconds twice without any choke at all.
This should help some oil get to the camshaft lobes before you start up with high revs.

Aww c**p.

Just read this and it's reminded me that I have a 600 hornet that hasn't been out for over a year. Sort of lost interest in it and the kids go-cart and scooters make it a right PITA to take it out.

In my mind it's not worth keeping and not worth selling and has been sorn'd for 2 years now. It just sits quietly (forlornly) in the garage wrapped in blankets and under a cover.

So if it's dry on Saturday I'll try and bump start it down the hill at my house.

What's the worst could happen...

I have a 600 hornet QUOTE]

Hooligans bike!
Daughter No1 had one, and you couldn't ride it slowly!!
t&t.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom