How to test engine mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Is there a way to check engine mounts? Getting different ways mentioned on Internet. Some say foot on brake take revs to 2k in forward and reverse, though others saying this isn't a good test as the engine torque has to go somewhere.
I'm getting slight vibration in drivers seat when engine under load on slight acceleration.
I was looking at engine running the other day and when engine was turned off I noticed the passenger side of engine moved visibly more than drivers side as it settled to a stop?
Any advice would be appreciated. Car is 2 years old and 13k

I found I got a vibration more at idle, say stopped at lights. Tended to disappear under load. If they are badly gone you will see fluid around the mount(s) and they will be noticeably 'squished'

Check for excessive engine movement when in forward and reverse gear when gently revving the engine while standing on the brakes at the same time.

*disclaimer: Not responsible for anyone who does anything anywhere ever.

Failed engine mounts on a 2 year old car? :crazy:

I know a chap with a CLS who had the same symtoms as WN - turned out to be the engine mounts but his car has done 170,000 miles and is 8 years old!

Didn't spot that, 2yrs is rather soon. Mine was at 120k miles..

Failed engine mounts on a 2 year old car? :crazy:

I know a chap with a CLS who had the same symtoms as WN - turned out to be the engine mounts but his car has done 170,000 miles and is 8 years old!

I'm getting slight vibration through floor and drivers seat. When car is cruising with low revs everything is fine. When you start to gently accelerate is when you can notice it. It isn't as noticeable in sport mode so maybe it's just me not giving it enough revs when in Eco mode.

It certainly fits in terms of symptoms - I just wonder how they can be that bad so young - unless they've split very very prematurely?

My previous car had them replaced and although they weren't great - I had no symptoms and that was an 11 year old car with nearly 100k.

I wonder if something else is amiss... I would take it to a reliable inde to investigate further personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom