How to transmit stuff through my SKY+ box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

I know what I mean and hope that I can explain it.

At home we have 4 TV points plus the one connected to the SKY box.

They all show whatever the box is tuned into and I'm happy enough with that. However, I'd like to be able to put DVD or You Tube/Iplayer via my laptop through the SKY box and be able to view on all the other TVs.

I noticed a USB port on the SKY box and it got me thinking that what I want may be possible with just cables I have lying around.

Looked online and drew a blank, I know that there's some tekky people here who might help.

Thetre's a pint in it for the right advice!

The USB port doesn't work. I had a sky engineer out only a couple of months ago and asked him this same question.

Surely there's no way to upstream via USB to a sky box?

BTW are you using wifi?

Have wifi.

Using coax, at least I think so, the cables are a bit less bendy then the old coax.

We were looking at TVs yesterday abd spotted a good deal on a Sony Bravia with Iplayer and so on. It occourred to me that if I could connect my laptop to the SKY box I wouldn't need this feature.

The reason I was asking about wifi is the possibilities open up with DLNA.

For example on my PC I have VideoLan which allows me to stream video to another device on the network.

I'm assuming that the skybox is capable of receiving AND transmitting this..therefore problem solved..

Alternately you could look at Media Servers (software that sits on the PC and streams to other network devices) - Windows Media player 11 supports both shared media devices and DLNA.

SKY box usb port cannot be used for what you want or as noodle-pulp suggests. Only way really is to convert the video output from your laptop (VGA to composite) and use a rf-modulator so you can watch the output on the other tvs over the coxial cable but why bother? You would be better off with media players conencted over LAN or WLAN.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom