How to trust Automatic Transmission (722.6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c20xeduda

Car
CLK 200 kompressor
Hey guys,

A little piece of advice, concerning the automatic transmission if you may. The post is a little long.

Here is the story:
I've bought my CLK200 Kompressor (w209) in the last year. Made the trip (about 124 miles) and everything was fine. Smooth gear change, no clunks, strange sound, etc. The previous owner told me that he made the transmission service (fluid and filter).

During next weeks I've made about 250 more miles and everything stayed fine. Then, when I was making a trip in the highway, at a 80mph more or so, i decided to stop at the service station for a coffee. When i was slowing down, the car
start shaking with a horrible grinding sound from below and burnt smell. Massive transmission failure.

I've bought another trasmission and torque converter, both used, and asked my regular mechanic to fit them on the car. (He never worked with automatic transmissions before). He done the job fairly good, I must say. Then we put the fluid, swap filter, etc.
I guess It had to had more fluid, but he thought it was Ok.

Another 250 more miles and everything was good when.... When coming from another trip, near home, when slowing down, another damn grinding noise from below. AGAIN! Transmission bits and metal in the pan.

My conviction is that the transmission needed more fluid. I can remember in the highway, this time, that I thought the car was stuck in 4th, because the revs were high to the speed.

I've changed, again, with another transmission and torque! Changed also de radiator to a Behr and cleaned everything. My regular mechanic fit it all, we added the fluid.

After that, I took the car to the dealer to flush the system again, and change oil and filter again.

Everything looks smooth, soft gear change, etc. The only thing strange that i notice is sometimes when im slowing, in a park lot, for example, i feel a bump (looks like downshift from 2 to 1. Only in S mode. In W everything seems ok). No error codes in the scanner. But the question is that now I have a little fear of using the car in longer trips.

Was I just an unlucky *******, or should I fear that another problem is making my w209 blowing the transmissions? If so, what?

What can I do to trust my car again?

Thank you very much!

It sounds like you finally have a decent transmission fitted along with the correct level of fluid and someone who knows what they are doing. I would guess the previous problems stemmmed from having the incorrect level of ATF. It is so important is the right level.
I wouldn't worry too much now and the bump you feel when in S mode is the transmission dropping into 1st gear. Leave the car in W and it will set off and stop in 2nd gear and you will notice less of a bump.

Did you also change the controller plate when the gearbox was installed.

These do fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom