How to turn engine over without starting (firing)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lenny63

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS 55 AMG | S211 E280 Cdi Sport
Hi

My c43 has been sitting for 6months now unstarted in storage

Is there a way I can disconnect the spark to stop engine firing up , to allow a few cranks to get oil flowing / build oil pressure ?

My first thoughts were to remove the fuel pump fuse ?

Any help appreciated

Lenny

Pull off plug leads?

I would not be too worried if it is months and it years. Modern oil is so thin it drains down in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

You can disconnect the low tension side of the ignition coils - never the high tension unless you earth all leads.

Starting it will just pour acid into the oil. Cranking it wont achieve anything that putting a socket on the nose of the crank and turning it by hand wont. Worth doing and 'park' it in a different place so that the same valves aren't always open.

your battery is probably flat enough to just turn the engine over anyway... it will be fine to start up unless you drained the oil and left it for over a year.. I hibernate some of my cars over winter and have never had an issue in spring

Bellow makes a good point. How many months standing are we talking about here?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Ok, I was fairly convinced that Bellow's post was directly releated to today's date..
However, at the risk of appearing the fool I undoubtedly am......

:confused: Acid.?????
From where exactly.? :dk:

Lenny63 said:
Hi My c43 has been sitting for 6months now unstarted in storage Is there a way I can disconnect the spark to stop engine firing up , to allow a few cranks to get oil flowing / build oil pressure ? My first thoughts were to remove the fuel pump fuse ? Any help appreciated Lenny

No need, insert key and start.

Ok, I was fairly convinced that Bellow's post was directly releated to today's date..
However, at the risk of appearing the fool I undoubtedly am......

:confused: Acid.?????
From where exactly.? :dk:

Products of combustion.
They get into the oil, don't get a chance to evaporate off, and will sit on components (eg bearing surfaces) and etch them.
Starting an engine from cold is the worst thing you can do to it. To start it from cold and not let it reach full operating temperature is lunacy.

Hi

My c43 has been sitting for 6months now unstarted in storage

Is there a way I can disconnect the spark to stop engine firing up , to allow a few cranks to get oil flowing / build oil pressure ?

My first thoughts were to remove the fuel pump fuse ?

Any help appreciated

Lenny

If you really do want to turn over on the starter and build oil pressure then yes, better there is no fuel there to dilute the oil.
A faster cranking speed with lower internal loads on components would be achieved if the spark plugs are removed - but disconnect the low tension side of the coils first.
If this is a long term storage then it might be worth properly tackling oiling it (without starting it) by priming the oil galleries with a pump of sorts. A thinner (flushing oil) would pump more readily when cold.
What is the current state of play? - not parked up with old oil hopefully.

6 months as in my original post
Battery won't be flag - I've had a Ctek on it during the full duration.
I was looking for an easy fix but seems start and drive is the general concensus

Yeah, taking it for a proper drive is better and will get the gearbox and everything else up to proper working temp too... evaporating any moisture from condensation etc etc

Dunno about other models (i expect there's something similar?) but on 124s there's an adaptor loom/test cable (124589366300) that allows the starter motor to be operated remotely/without switching the ignition on. Hotwiring the starter motor basically but plugs straight into the existing loom at the X27 connector. It's mostly for things like compression testing but also handy for priming/building oil pressure after an oil change, long lay up etc

Products of combustion.......

facepalm.jpeg

Started without issue
Took it a 30minutr drive before an hour later travelling the 80 miles back home

C43 = great car

In order not to start your car when it is cold, move to a warmer part of the world:bannana:

The only time one needs to turn an engine over without it firing is after a total rebuild.

I have always advocated that the engine oil should be changed before long term storage - then there will be no acids in the oil:D

Oil was changed with MB filter and 0w40 Mobil 1, 3 months prior to storage and as its a second car I only Covered approx 1000 miles during that period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom