How to TV ? C63 /

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darling

Car
C63 Estate / W205
Do they have a TV, the Book mentions something - but i cant find it ? mines a 66 plate Premium.

any pointers please.

thanks

D

No TV Tuner fitted in the UK versions as far as I can tell.

Check in boot if tuner fitted below the pump for the door closer.

Might not have been spec’d when New? Someone here might kindly check factory spec for you if you send vin number

My CL has button on comand for tv but never spec when new, trying to retro fit following advice from “television” on this forum, not the easiest, your car is newer than mine so it might be easier though

Sure someone on here will know answer though.

Unfortunately the W205 isn't one of the models that ComandOnline list to retrofit a TV with OEM equipment:(

Television put an item on here on how to change an analogue tv to digital by using a Bush unit, no longer available, I picked one up on on eBay for a tenner, still trying to retrofit to CL, not easy as car was not specd with a tv originally.

I know have a tuner and the Bush unit but no harness to connect from tuner to comand:(

Still trying to resolve this though, project 42B!

Television put an item on here on how to change an analogue tv to digital by using a Bush unit, no longer available, I picked one up on on eBay for a tenner, still trying to retrofit to CL, not easy as car was not specd with a tv originally.

I know have a tuner and the Bush unit but no harness to connect from tuner to comand:(

Still trying to resolve this though, project 42B!

What bush unit is it? I was going to buy an analogue tuner for mine as it’s cheap, and all the harnesses etc but not sure how to convert to digital

On a 211 or 219 with the early COMMAND System (same as CLK? CL?), converting Analogue to a Digital tuner is just a direct swap of the tuner box in the boot, possibly with some coding. The standard digital and analogue tuners are exactly the same to look at and all connections the same.
Both Tuners also have two Aux in connections (Video and sound).

Tried to find the article on here and failed but I had copied it into pc so I have cut and pasted it below.

The box used was a Bush scart box, circa £25 they are the smallest

The AV sockets are on the rear of the tuner.

You need a line out scart, to female RCA jacks and 3 phono leads. L R plus yellow video.

You chop the power lead off from the mains adapter and wire the plus lead to the live in on the TV tuner and the negative to ground.

You need a normal male to female aerial lead and chop the male end off so the its long enough to splice into the cars antenna lead thats plugged into the TV tuner. there are 4 leads on this plug, so chop the end one of the 4 close to the plug and this must be spliced onto the coax plug lead, inner to inner and screen to screen..

You can now plug the digi box into the live power supply, put the video and sound phono plus in and the aerial coax plug and the unit should switch on via the remote control.

Select what eve AV input that you have used on the TV in the car and you should see the display, and you can now tune into stations providing there is enough signal strength where the car is parked..

When all is working you will need to extend the lead of the remote control this is best done with a 4 way screened cable using heat shrink sleeving,and this can be run along the sills and the carpet, the door tread just pull up and off. pull the drought excluder away from A pillar and run the lead behind the kick panel and stick under the passenger glove box/ dash

You will see a plug with 4 wisiclik plugs, all thin and black leads.. The existing tuners used 3 tuners (internal) and 4 aerial inputs, just cut the lead off the one nearest to the end,(you could cut off any one) and this wire wis the new aerial lead that needs a Coax plug attached to plug into the digi box. Standard Coax is far to heaving and large to join onto this screened aerial wire, this I why I said use a domestic male to female asn the wire on thse are very light weight with a thin center core

So inner to inner and screen to screen. and tape up

Alan uk car went perfectly, and so does mine, the Antenna is the same for both types of signals, just chop off one of the 4 plugs, I used an end one and splice that onto or short lead with a coax plug on the end, it is better to chop up a standard male to female lead like the ones that connect from a TV to video, the wire is much thinner .

Just make sure you take the power off the cigar lighter, so when you thread the wire for the IR remote from the boot to the front of the car you thread a live wire at the same time. I had mine all set up, but the power I used didn't cut off when the Comand " went to sleep" so I had to take the panels etc off a second time.

Malcolm has all the details, but this might help you.
The box used was a Bush scart box (DFTA 1001), £25 from Tescos http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3419.aspx they are the smallest
The AV sockets are on the rear of the tuner.
You need a line out scart, to female RCA jacks http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Adapt...e=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236613667&sr=8-1and 3 phono leads. L R plus yellow video. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibaba-Gold...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236614913&sr=1-104
You chop the power lead off from the mains adapter and wire the plus lead to the live in on the TV tuner and the negative to ground. (Take the power from the front Cigar lighter that is the only one that is safe and cuts the power when the car is switched off, thread it through the same way as the remote control pick up)
You need a normal male to female aerial lead and chop the male end off so the its long enough to splice into the cars antenna lead thats plugged into the TV tuner. You will see a plug with 4 wisiclik plugs, all thin and black leads. The existing tuners used 3 tuners (internal) and 4 aerial inputs, just cut the lead off the one nearest to the end,(you could cut off any one) and this wire with the new aerial lead that needs a Coax plug attached to plug into the digi box.
You can now plug the digi box into the live power supply, put the video and sound phono plus in and the aerial coax plug and the unit should switch on via the remote control.

Select the AV input that you have used on the TV in the car and you should see the display, and you can now tune into stations providing there is enough signal strength where the car is parked..

When all is working you will need to extend the lead of the remote control this is best done with a 4 way screened cable using heat shrink sleeving, and this can be run along the sills and the carpet, the door tread just pull up and off. Pull the draught excluder away from A pillar and run the lead behind the kick panel and stick under the passenger glove box/ dash.

I always cut the one nearest the end,,what you can do is, when you cut the plug off leave 2" of wire on it, you can then join a short piece of cable, and use the loop through from the digibox back to the existing tuner, then all complete again.
The cables that are used for the antenna connections from a video recorder to TV are light weight and have a male coax plug one end and a female the other and ar perfect for this,, I have 100s of the things if you would like one

Hope this helps, if you source the interconnecting cables can you pm me with supplier?

Thanks but it is the MB installed cables that run from the tuner to comand, as far as I can tell this is not fitted as standard and not included in the loom, if tv specd then additional harness is fed front to back to connect.

Might be a lost cause though if rear screen does not have tv aerial then it will be uneconomic to fit?

Thanks but it is the MB installed cables that run from the tuner to comand, as far as I can tell this is not fitted as standard and not included in the loom, if tv specd then additional harness is fed front to back to connect.

Might be a lost cause though if rear screen does not have tv aerial then it will be uneconomic to fit?

Find the reg of a CL with it fitted and phone up local dealer parts dept

I am not sure what year your CL is and the exact layout, but the standard MB TV tuner on a lot of Mercedes is linked to the head unit via. a fibre optic ring, and once its position in this ring is coded (possibly together with coding to other control units) it will work, provided the tuner wiring is correct eg. Wake up signal /power, aerial etc. My understanding is you wouldn't require additional wiring between TV Tuner and Head Unit.

It is a 2002, but there are no unused connectors in the boot so that is why I assumed I needed a harness to connect tuner to comand

Is the Navigation DVD in the boot?
To connect the standard MB TV Tuner you would have to break into the correct place in the fibre optic ring and adding additional fibre optic cables.
In the case of the 211 and 219 possibly you're CL as well the OEM Tv Tuner is in the boot and is linked fibre optically with other parts of the sound system also in the boot so the fibre optic cables are normally quite short.
Once the OEM Tuner is in place and working correctly you would have additional two aux in connections for sound and vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom