How to undo touch-up paint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riva811

Car
CL500 Blueefficiency
Weird one but after some touch up the car looks a bit dotted, is a panel respray the only cure?

All depends on what you want to achieve. If after removing the touch-ins it will still look bad (hence the reason you touched it in) then a respray is the only option. How many panels are we talking? If your car is a dark colour with a light undercoat then respray is the answer.

All depends on what you want to achieve. If after removing the touch-ins it will still look bad (hence the reason you touched it in) then a respray is the only option. How many panels are we talking? If your car is a dark colour with a light undercoat then respray is the answer.
Yeah its a weird one, color code matches the car and i bought it from MB, on application though it looks lighter, probably the elements were not as kind to the rest of the car. I was hit in the parking lot and the guy took off, considering i was in hackney, they were probably stoned :p
Scratched the driver side on two panels, thankfully no dent but the touchup looks bad.
Also exeprimented a bit with the touch up on the side of the hood. I guess I will check with chipsaway for a quote

For best results, you should build the layers up of paint. It could be that the paint does match however only after 3 layers are on.

touch up is only really for really small areas. Anything from accident damage needs to be done by a pro, otherwise you'll have a noticeable colour mismatch.

Each batch of a given paint at the factory has a slightly different colour, hence two cars of the same colour will actually be very slightly different colours, and as far as i'm aware any professional bodyshop will mix the paint as close to the original paint (by using cameras and a computer to scan the existing paint), and SMART repairers use some methods such as blending (depending on the type of damage) to get a visually-correct repair. This is what people refer to when they say things like "Its a good colour match".
The touch up paint that you get off-the-shelf is only ok for the odd stone chip here or there, because its just a generic non-batch-specific small pot of paint.

Use a tar and glue remover, usually takes the stuff off fairly easily

touch up is only really for really small areas. Anything from accident damage needs to be done by a pro, otherwise you'll have a noticeable colour mismatch.

Each batch of a given paint at the factory has a slightly different colour, hence two cars of the same colour will actually be very slightly different colours, and as far as i'm aware any professional bodyshop will mix the paint as close to the original paint (by using cameras and a computer to scan the existing paint), and SMART repairers use some methods such as blending (depending on the type of damage) to get a visually-correct repair. This is what people refer to when they say things like "Its a good colour match".
The touch up paint that you get off-the-shelf is only ok for the odd stone chip here or there, because its just a generic non-batch-specific small pot of paint.
Even on small areas, the colour difference is very high when though the paint code matches. Not to mention that it's over time pealing off. Found this workshop that can do a proper job but it feels like touch up paint is a waste of time

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Did you apply clear coat over the base coat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom