How to update COMAND APS NTG 2.5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CrazeUK

Car
Merc C220 CDI Auto, BMW 323 CI Auto
Hi All.

RE: Mercedes W245 B200 Diesel Auto 2010.

Some of you may have seen my other posts about purchasing a car for the other half, and wanting to add a reverse camera to the existing COMAND APS NTG 2.5 unit.

The objective is:
Provide the other half with a stereo system that can stream bluetooth, have up to date maps and allow the use of a reverse camera.

So i have 1 of 2 choices:
1. Replace the COMAND with an aftermarket Android stereo and install the camera.
2. Update the existing COMAND with:
a. Purchase / Rent a STAR C3 Multiplexer (and associated)
b. Update the Firmaware COMAND APS NTG2.5 unit
c. Update the maps
d. Activate Backup camera​

So my questions are:
1. Is it relatively easy to update the COMAND using Star C3?
2. Do i have to buy the Firmware update?
3. I know i will have to buy maps.
Most important -
4. Money wasn't a consideration, should i Switch out to Android aftermarket
5. Balancing costs of upgrade, Would you switch to Android (Sell COMAND) or keep COMAND. - I don't mind buying a STAR machine as i can help check the car over / faults etc.

These details of the COMAND unit are below:
Version:

Navi IPL = 0.020.415
AVC IPL = 0.822
Navi Dboot = 1.421.232
AVC APL = 1.035.9000
Navi APP = 1.0D.00
AVC APP = 1.045.9000
GW Dboot = 1.047
GW APP = 1.047

Navi database = NAVTEQ NTG2.5eu-Vol5.0
HDD Contents = 3.005.2301
GPS Reciever = GPSLIB-R14.00.00
DVD Firmware = 1.800
CDDB = 1204 0

SDS Recognizer = 1.0D.00
SDS Dialog SW = 1.0D.00
Signal preproces = 1.045.9000
Handsfree SW = 1.045.9000
HF Parameter = 85:01

BT Software = 2.0036.10
CPU = 0
BT Firmware = 2.0038.11
BT Hardware = 2.0038.11

So, i guess i am a tinkerer and am quite comfortable replacing head units etc.

I sent my headunit to Commandonline , whilst i was on holiday, to get the camera initialized and they also did the map update and added the DAB option whilst they had it.

IIRC if the headunit has an older firmware version installed it will need to be updated at the dealer.

If it were to do it again i would go Android as the 2.5 is an out dated unit with very limited functions compared to the latest touchscreen android units.

Kenny

I sent my headunit to Commandonline , whilst i was on holiday, to get the camera initialized and they also did the map update and added the DAB option whilst they had it.

IIRC if the headunit has an older firmware version installed it will need to be updated at the dealer.

If it were to do it again i would go Android as the 2.5 is an out dated unit with very limited functions compared to the latest touchscreen android units.

Kenny
Out of curiosity how much did it cost?
Also do you know if a standard fit android would fit or is it better to get the Merc b class shaped one?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I think i was around £200 to get the maps updated , camera initialized , the DAB option enabled and the extra insured postage.

As far as android fitting options goes then i could not advise as i never really looked into it in any great detail as i was going the "stock" route as mine had the HK system fitted and didnt know how compatible the android would be with the HK system.

Kenny

Oh I see. Makes sense. I agree at 200 the cost is quite high. I think it would be around 250 for a new stereo with the additional features including Google maps lol.

Oh I see. Makes sense. I agree at 200 the cost is quite high. I think it would be around 250 for a new stereo with the additional features including Google maps lol.

Commandonline retrofitted NTG2.5 to my W203 and NTG4.7 to my W204. I went for the original MB units because I wanted to keep the original look and feel as well as the full integration with the instrument cluster and the steering wheel buttons.

There are two very obvious downsides, however:

(a) Car manufactures will always be behind in releasing new technology. NTG2.5 was released around 2008, so it was probably in the making since a couple of years earlier, and it was finally retired around 2012. So we are dealing with 10-12 years old technology. But even if you buy a W205 with NTG5*2, you are looking at technology released in 2014 so probably developed in 2012-2013, i.e. 5-6 years ago.

(b) When dealing with the original car manufacturer's infotainment systems, the cost is likely to be far higher than Android devices bought off eBay. Even setting aside the 4-figure cost of a brand new MB COMAND unit (e.g. if retrofitting), anything to do with original maps, licenses, coding etc will be more expensive than the costs associated with fitting an after-market device.

So I don't see a direct comparison between latest-tech low-cost non-MB device, and original MB device - they differ on various parameters. As said, I went (twice) down the original MB router, because on the parameters that matter to me this was the right solution, however I am well aware that my NTG2.5 at the time and NTG4.7 now have always been old tech, in fact they have been so even when released on new cars....

So there's no definitive choice here: it's a choice between originality and functionality...

PS - I didn't touch on reliability, and on the third option which is an expensive non-MB unit e.g Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine etc

Not meaning to hikack this thread but I have just bought a 55 plate clk55 amg. So how do I know what model headunit I have and the options/upgrades etc available?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

www.comand.co.uk are the people to see about telematics and maps update (and anything else to do with COMAND).

So i gave up on the idea of updating COMAND. The cost did not out weigh the benefit.

So finished with this thread i guess.

I will update my other Stereo related thread: B200 2010 Camera / Stero / Lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom