How to update navigation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snowman89

Car
Mercedes CLC 350
Sorry for this possibly very stupid question..
But since this is my first Merc i simply do not know better.

The car is a CLC 350 -08 and it has built in navigation.
However the maps has not been updated since the car was new, therefore im thinking of getting an update.
First of all, how good is the Merc GPS that i have in my CLC?
Is it worth spending money on updating the maps or am i better off buying a TomTom GPS or garmin unit?
Secondly, is it possible to update the maps by myself or do i have to visit a Mercedes stealer?
Is it as simple as that i can buy this and just put it into the reader and then its done? --> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...-A-B-C-CLK-CLC-M-R-G-GL-Update-/182175613088?

Is there a easy way of knowing what navigation/media unit i have in my car?
Ive read about comand, Audi 20 and Audi 50, but i have no idea what the diffrences are or how one or the other looks.

The latest European maps DVDs for NTG2 and for NTG2.5 are listed below:

Navigation Europe Version 2015/2016 (NTG2) A1698270100 (or A169 827 01 00)
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/europe-map-dvd-NTG2.html

Navigation Europe Version 2015/2016 (NTG2.5) A2198271000 (or A219 827 10 00)
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/comand-aps-mapdvd-ntg2.5-europe.html

And as said can be purchased new from www.comandonline.co.uk.

You can obviously purchase second-hand DVDs off eBay, and as long as they are original (i.e. not copies) and in good condition (i.e. not scratched) then they will work fine. Do keep in mind however that if you have the newer NTG2.5 then as said in my previous post it may need a firmware upgrade before the latest maps can be installed.

Last edited:
The latest European maps DVDs for NTG2 and for NTG2.5 are listed below:

Navigation Europe Version 2015/2016 (NTG2) A1698270100 (or A169 827 01 00)
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/europe-map-dvd-NTG2.html

Navigation Europe Version 2015/2016 (NTG2.5) A2198271000 (or A219 827 10 00)
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/comand-aps-mapdvd-ntg2.5-europe.html

And as said can be purchased new from www.comandonline.co.uk.

You can obviously purchase second-hand DVDs off eBay, and as long as they are original (i.e. not copies) and in good condition (i.e. not scratched) then they will work fine. Do keep in mind however that if you have the newer NTG2.5 then as said in my previous post it may need a firmware upgrade before the latest maps can be installed.

Thanks for your replies!
It seems as if i have the NTG2 since i do not have the SD-slot above the cd reader.
Would i need to upgrade the firmware on this unit to before getting a CD?
Is the NTG2 a decent unit or will it be a waste of money updating the maps?

Is the NTG2 a decent unit or will it be a waste of money updating the maps?

Difficult one.... NTG2 dates back to 2004 so clearly old technology. The latest COMAND model that can fit your car is NTG2.5, but this also dates back to 2009 as not a spring chicken either.

I think the issue is that modern standalone SatNav units or smartphone-based apps (TomTom, Waze, CoPilot, Garmin, etc...) are much better than NTG2 or NTG2.5 because they are kept up-to-date in terms of both the application software and the maps.

The COMAND unit does have some advantages because it integrates with the instrument cluster display, and controls other functions such as mp3 music, phone (if Bluetooth equipped), etc.

One other option is a replacement non-MB unit from the likes of Kenwood/Alpine, or just generic Android-based units. They offer much more functionality but I personally would not fit them as I prefer the original Mercedes-Benz look and feel of COMAND.

Difficult one.... NTG2 dates back to 2004 so clearly old technology. The latest COMAND model that can fit your car is NTG2.5, but this also dates back to 2009 as not a spring chicken either.

I think the issue is that modern standalone SatNav units or smartphone-based apps (TomTom, Waze, CoPilot, Garmin, etc...) are much better than NTG2 or NTG2.5 because they are kept up-to-date in terms of both the application software and the maps.

The COMAND unit does have some advantages because it integrates with the instrument cluster display, and controls other functions such as mp3 music, phone (if Bluetooth equipped), etc.

One other option is a replacement non-MB unit from the likes of Kenwood/Alpine, or just generic Android-based units. They offer much more functionality but I personally would not fit them as I prefer the original Mercedes-Benz look and feel of COMAND.
Thanks again.

Yepp perhaps im better of by just buying a standalone GPS.
In that case i can use it in any of my cars.
As you say, the unit in my car is quite old and i also like the look of the unit since it is MB original.
So i would avoid replacing it with an aftermarket unit..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom