How to use a "Filter Lane"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wu56Shoozz

MB Enthusiast
You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
Car
MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
Okay, we have new traffic signals installed at Shawhead Flyover each have a filter lane on them for turning right.

On approach they are at red for all. You want to turn right using the filter lane

Do You:

Go when all is green i.e the main green light is on

Do You wait in the filter lane to the right, signaling that you wish to turn right, and wait until the filter arrow appears (Jointly with the main Green Light)

Do you sit and wait until the Filter Lane arrow appear on its own, then move off.

Lets See who knows...:thumb:

A round green light means that all may proceed. A green arrow means that traffic in that direction may proceed.

As above but obviously until the right turn filter green comes on those turning right must give way to oncoming traffic,

Does it depend on the time of day? - At peak times you might see a red arrow to let people know that they can't turn right (the green is just for continuing traffic).
At off-peak times there is no red arrow, so you may turn right (whilst giving way).

I have met "red arrow" signals, but they're not featured in the Highway Code so I wonder if that was outside the UK.

If there is no red light above the green filter then you may filter when the round green is on. Isn't it obvious...if there is no red you may move.

When the light goes green, you move forward to a position ready for turning right and wait for a gap or for the green filter to come on.

Have you stolen the car?
Are the Police in pursuit?
Are you late for your appointment?

Your answers to the above may denote your response to the lights.

This must be a trick question!

This must be a trick question!

Not really, it's after two years of traffic jams due to the new m/way & junction upgrades that everyone is prepared to sit in a car park for an hour and are surprised they can now drive right up to the traffic lights which used to be a roundabout with no waiting. The human brain cannot cope anymore.

Russ

Not really, it's after two years of traffic jams due to the new m/way & junction upgrades that everyone is prepared to sit in a car park for an hour and are surprised they can now drive right up to the traffic lights which used to be a roundabout with no waiting. The human brain cannot cope anymore.

Russ

Where is this flyover so we can all have a look?

Where is this flyover so we can all have a look?

Its the A725 / A8 junction at Coatbridge, but Google Maps probably wont show the new layout for a while, they only removed the last cones this week.

Russ

I have met "red arrow" signals, but they're not featured in the Highway Code so I wonder if that was outside the UK.
Ah! I did learn to drive in Australia, so that might explain it?

Surely it depends on the type of lights?
If the filter lane has its own set, then you wait for those. If not, then you proceed forward on green and then wait until you can make the turn :dk:

Okay, we have new traffic signals installed at Shawhead Flyover each have a filter lane on them for turning right.

On approach they are at red for all. You want to turn right using the filter lane

Do You:

Go when all is green i.e the main green light is on

Do You wait in the filter lane to the right, signaling that you wish to turn right, and wait until the filter arrow appears (Jointly with the main Green Light)

Do you sit and wait until the Filter Lane arrow appear on its own, then move off.

Lets See who knows...:thumb:
Well?

Sorry Guys, I'd forgotten all about this one..:D

Here is your answer:

Green light alone = Can move forward, but must give way to oncoming before turning.

Green light w/ arrow = Oncoming traffic has a red light so you're free to go straight or turn.

ONLY green arrow = You can turn but not go straight.

I posted this because of the number of eejits that I meet at the junction that must a/ Beat you round, i.e cut across the front of you..b/ undertake you to turn right because you are waiting for a clear gap..
I feel I'm starting to slip into that "Old Guy/Flat Cap era" where the modern man is in that proverbial rush and take the risk.

Here's the junction as requested: Its where the A725 meets North Road.

Google Maps

@wu56Shoozz - yep, see an increasing amount of them eejits; understand why dash cams are increasingly popular these days.

For your quiz, can we cheat like in America and turn on red??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom