How to use the auto box correctly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richduc

Car
E280 CDI
Hi peeps
another potentially idiotic question.
My auto transmission on my E280CDI - different to the 7G apart from the flappy paddles?
When I want to use the D+, D- it seems to operate not quite how I expect - it doesnt seem to shift up and down as I want? The op manual is just confusing me. Can anyone give a tuturial or send me into the corner with dunces hat and confiscate my licence???
Thanks,
Rich

Away from you to drop a gear, towards you to change up

Away from you for 2 seconds to select the right gear to boot it.

Unless I have the question entirely wrong.

thanks for the quick reply. the manual says there are two modes one to just move up and down as you describe, ie semi auto but also one called derestricted I think. When I try the box sometimes it doesnt seem to chanvce like its overiding my input, sometimes it will drop down and indicate say 3rd gear but will only change up from there (IIRC). This is all done within what I would call normal revs - its not like I am bouncing it off the limiter or trying to stall...hope this makes sense...

Welcome to the Mercedes gearbox lol

I don't know enough about 7g yet but on 5g, if you use the buttons (read paddles), it will only actually change gear when you press either when in M mode.

If you are in S or C, it will actually set the desired gear as a maximum, so not directly shifting as such.

This is to say limit you to 3rd on a hill descent.

Or you don't want the car to change up beyond 2nd in icy conditions.

thanks for the replies!!
I am reading information, thus:
Keep in full auto
End of.

The 5g will change to manual in S or C if you double tap the shift up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom