How to verify an optional part -LSD.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Hope somebody can shed a bit of light on my question.

Seemingly, there was an option of an LSD diff for the W202 & W210's, specifically for the non AMG versions. The part number I have is R1243513008, which is said to be an 3.27 Diff with LSD and it is directly interchangeable with some BMW's ie, E36 328i for example?

Anybody hear tell or know if the above is correct?

The easiest way to confirm that an LSD is fitted is simply to jack up the rear, rotate one wheel and see which way the other turns...

It's A124 351 30 08 and that part refers to the diff end cover.

No, it's R1243513008 (actually stamped on the unit) and it refers to a complete diff assy, so I understand.

I thought an 'R' prefix denoted a reconditioned replacement part

I thought an 'R' prefix denoted a reconditioned replacement part

That would make sense but what has been implied to me is the R perfix was used as this component was shared with another manufacturer?

EPC shows your part number as an end cover only and the only valid prefix is an 'A'

The corresponding part number for the complete diff is A2023502414 80 the ES1 code 80 denotes a recon unit, so my supposition that the 'R' prefix denoted reconditioned would appear to be wrong.

When searching EPC for R1243513008 returned no results

EPC shows your part number as an end cover only and the only valid prefix is an 'A'

The corresponding part number for the complete diff is A2023502414 80 the ES1 code 80 denotes a recon unit, so my supposition that the 'R' prefix denoted reconditioned would appear to be wrong.

Thanks, Whitenemesis. I appreciate you going to that trouble. Well, one thing anyway I now know that the prefix doesn't signify a recon unit.

diff

Here's one that was for sale: MERCEDES SLK R170 W220 W202 W124 W210 REAR DIFFERENTIAL Part No- R1243513008 | eBay

What I really want to know is, A. Is it an LSD diff & B. Is it a direct fit in place of the original diff?

From memory when I swapped the diff on my 202 diesel for a different ratio Ian Dronsfield said there were 2 actual sizes of diff fitted i presume according to engine power and I believe the older models with a shared back wheel abs had the sensor incorporated in the diff and not the wheels

does fitting an LSD also mean disabling the traction control

usually the diff ratio is stamped into the rear of the housing

For completeness ---

Attachments

• J2PrinterWorks print document.pdf
    30 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi,Spoton.

As for the physical size, I'm unsure but suspect the eBay one is the right one for my car but not 100% positive. Also, I think that diff is compatible to the ABS set on my car too, again I'm not certain.

Good question about the LSD and the TC, again I don't know for sure but I can't see why it should? As for the ratio, I'm running the standard 3.27 and eBay diff for example is the same ratio, and yes indeed they are stamped on the rear at the bottom.

Which is what I said in maybe not so many words :eek:...but what do I know? LSD's usually have an ally tag on one of the cover bolts with the requirement for the special oil they need. Can't remember the exact wording but normal diffs don't have this.

Last edited:
Well, I might be getting somewhere judging by this U.S. eBay sale.

96 97 98 BMW 328i Differential Assembly Rear R1243513008 | eBay

That is not a bmw diff, the seller has listed it wrongly.

The bmw diff's are mounted differently to mercedes, bmw also has the speed sensor in the diff rear cover. The drive shaft, and propshaft flanges are a larger pcd too. There is a slim chance that you might be able to make the bmw internals fit inside the merc diff, but it wont be easy.

Last edited:
Have a look at this one as another example & see what you think.

Differenziale posteriore Orig.Mercedes Benz... a Busto Arsizio - Kijiji

Still not a bmw diff, the 3 series bmw's that the seller has listed as being compatable with it have a diff that looks like this:
87047d1249634480-alpina-b3-3-0-e36-94-restoration-img_2661.jpg

The v8 5 series have a larger version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom