How to verify Milage with engine number?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ant1

Anyone know if you can use the engine number and link it to the original car to verify its milage?

Just spent a large amount of money on a replacement engine and I want to make sure the milage is genuine before it’s fitted.

Thanks all :)

I have had success in doing this in the past. I spoke to my local mercedes parts department who linked the engine number to a chassis number. It was a few years ago. I hope they still have that facility

I have had success in doing this in the past. I spoke to my local mercedes parts department who linked the engine number to a chassis number. It was a few years ago. I hope they still have that facility

Good shout.

Good shout.
If it’s eleven years old or newer an independent can usually link the chassis to a reg with the DSB system, but you’ll see the service history and mileages from there if it has any.

just a thought, if you have the reg of the donor car, a use of the gov MOT checker could give you some indication.

Yep that would be the easy way but I don’t have the reg. Tbh they could give me any reg.

But would the Reg number tell you that the engine you bought was the original engine in the donor car ?

And by the way Ant , we ALL now want to hear the story behind the reason for you buying this engine :D

Anyone know if you can use the engine number and link it to the original car to verify its milage?

Just spent a large amount of money on a replacement engine and I want to make sure the milage is genuine before it’s fitted.

Thanks all :)
fair does bit should you not have checked that pre purchase and will it stop you fitting it.

If you stick the reg into Opie Oil's website, it will give you an engine number. If it matches the one on your block, you can check the last MOT to get an idea of roughly how many miles it has covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom