HOW TO: W203/CL203 facelift centre console cupholder cover removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350_Coupe

Car
2005 C350 Coupe SE
I have just swapped my interior trim panels for the nice birdseye maple panels, in doing so i used the benzwerks you tube video to see where the screws etc were located, and the tips for releasing clips plus things like how to reveal the screws in the heating vent panel etc

Along with the main panels, the video also covered the cup holder, and roller cover removal, however, their example was based on the earlier (pre 2005) model, and as such the removal procedure for the later model roller cover is not the same.

So, here's some pictures and description on how to remove that cover from the later model center consoles.

Firstly, my thanks to Graham, at PCS, because initially i was stuck, and didn't want to force anything, resulting in a phone call to PCS, and whilst he couldn't remember the exact procedure off the top of his head, he did point me in the right direction of removing the side mounted coin holder, in order to be able to move the front vertical panel into the storage compartment rather than trying to lift it up.

So, firstly, here's what the assembled unit looks like, with the top trim cover removed.....

As you can see, the roller cover is restricted by the front panel, this needs to be removed prior to trying to slide the cover out.

First thing to do, is remove the rubber cup holder shaped insert at the bottom of the hole, it should pull straight out, however (as with mine) if someone has spilled any drink in there, it may be slightly stuck! - use the tab to pull with pliers if need be!

In these pictures, you can see the front of that panel, viewed from the gear shifter perspective......

As you can see in the second image, i've arrowed a cut out in the panel, this is so that you can see where to insert a tool to release the coin holder, i used a plastic orange peeler to release the coin holder, which, as you can see has a small clip that needs releasing in order for the coin holder to slide up and out, or twist slightly to be released if the cover is restricting the hole size. I simply slid it down until it it pushed the side of the coin holder in far enough to release the clip as the plastic tool i used was tapered in shape.

Once the coin holder is out of the way, you can release the 2 clips at the front of the panel that clip to the center console, and then fold back the panel to allow the roller cover to slide out, alternatively, you can completely remove the panel as it is only fitted at the bottom utilising a slot in the lower panel and tabs.

Refitting is simply a reversal of the removal process, only difference i found was my wood cover didn't slide back quite as far, so the coin holder i had to put in at an angle then twist into position before sliding it down and it clicking into place.

My apologies for splitting this over 3 posts, but apparently we now have a ridiculous 6 image limit per post, which for how to threads is too restrictive, and is making me less inclined to do the folding mirrors fix post i am working on

looks like the image links got killed so i'll attach them instead, in the order of posting (hopefully!)

20171122_120135 - resized.jpg 20171122_120145 - resized.jpg 20171122_133424 - resized.jpg 20171122_120152 - resized.jpg 20171122_133341 - resized.jpg

Second Posts Images

20171122_133353 - resized.jpg 20171122_133309 - resized.jpg 20171122_133321 - resized.jpg

Hi,

What have you put in this space instead of the coin holder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom