how to waste a scammers time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
this guy has listed a rather nice VW camper on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140153788039

shame is that it's not his to sell..

As usual, eBay are dragging their heels about pulling the auction so the Volkszone forums got involved - check the guys bid history

The van has been bid up to 10 million quid six times already and the scammer is having to waste all his time cancelling bids

Feel free to join in

Andy

But is it a hyjacked account or his own geniuine one?

genuine account but zero feedback - the usual "send me a deposit and i'll ship the car to you" scammer

He/she keeps cancelling all the bids and blocking the bidders. Either he'll get bored or eBay will eventually pull it

Andy

genuine account but zero feedback - the usual "send me a deposit and i'll ship the car to you" scammer

He/she keeps cancelling all the bids and blocking the bidders. Either he'll get bored or eBay will eventually pull it

Andy

Also the give away Yahoo email address in the Q & A's;)

this guy has listed a rather nice VW camper on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140153788039

shame is that it's not his to sell..

As usual, eBay are dragging their heels about pulling the auction so the Volkszone forums got involved - check the guys bid history

The van has been bid up to 10 million quid six times already and the scammer is having to waste all his time cancelling bids

Feel free to join in

Andy

I'm not an e-Bay regular so how would I know it's a scam? Is it because he doesn't want questions and answers available to everyone on the e-Bay site, hence the yahoo bit? If someone has just joined e-Bay to sell something, their feed-back is bound to be zero, isn't it?

What other scams do you have to be wary of?

The biggest ones are tyhe fraudulent emails saying you have purchased something and haven't paid so please login to sort out the dispute.
I had two last night and one soemthing to do with PayPal...

Lets just say I logged in but my account names and passwords were slightly modified...to something rather Blue so not for the forum.

I think they might have guessed they were not genuine..ha ha..:D

he is selling something for a fraction of it's real value

the van is advertised by it's real owner elsewhere (actually he's sold it today :))

the seller doesn't want you to bid but contact them via email when you get something like this sent to you

"Hello,
I have received your email regarding my car 1969 Westfalia Weekender SO67 VW Type 2 Camper Van.
The car is in perfect condition,with no scratches on it,no damage. It have all the papers and documents and is registered in UK!
The price for the car is £4,300.00 !!!
The car was my husband`s as he loved it very much, but he did not enjoy it as he died in a IRAQ 3 month ago. It brings very bad memories to me, I want to get rid of it.
The buyer will receive the car with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it to his name.
I am in BERLIN,GERMANY right now but the car is in UK and it will be shipped from there.
Shipping will be done whit DAS and it will take no more then 2-3 days. I have a friend there who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is my duty to pay for shipping it.It will be delivered directly to your address.
Anyway, I have to let you know that I want a fast deal so if you are really interested in buying it, please reply with the following information's:

-YOUR FULL NAME .
-YOUR SHIPPING ADDRESS

The transaction will be closed only through eBay vehicle purchase protection so we both be protected.
Also in this way you have the chance to pay after you receive and test the car!
I will look for your email,so that we can move forward with this deal!
Let me know,
Sandra!
PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK AT: [email protected]
"

Generally if something is too good to be true - it is.

If a seller won't let you view an item - don't buy it

Anmdy

No feedback is alright, but his demands to ONLY send them to yahoo addy is a little suspicious, and for a car of that vintage etc, would there not be more info to say about it? I would have thought so.

I'm not an e-Bay regular so how would I know it's a scam? Is it because he doesn't want questions and answers available to everyone on the e-Bay site, hence the yahoo bit? If someone has just joined e-Bay to sell something, their feed-back is bound to be zero, isn't it?

As a seller, you can actually decide what questions get displayed for the world to see, and which ones you can answer privately and not post as part of your advert.

Other signs of scams in adverts are:
- requests to mail directly to an email instead of through ebay
- requests to use Western Union or other direct (untraceable) money transfer methods
- LOW LOW prices
- same item(s) for sale elsewhere at totally different prices and locations
- requests for deposits before a full transaction is carried out
- free shipping from another country of a large/bulky item like a vehicle
- refusal to show the vehicle (or excuses like "I'm out of the country" that impede you from seeing the vehicle)

Other tell-tale signs are bad grammar; pictures taken in other countries (look at where vehicles in the background are, signs, roadmarkings, tax disks, licence plates, etc); or copied listings...

Not an exhaustive list...

Michele

he is selling something for a fraction of it's real value

the van is advertised by it's real owner elsewhere (actually he's sold it today :))

the seller doesn't want you to bid but contact them via email when you get something like this sent to you

"Hello,
I have received your email regarding my car 1969 Westfalia Weekender SO67 VW Type 2 Camper Van.
The car is in perfect condition,with no scratches on it,no damage. It have all the papers and documents and is registered in UK!
The price for the car is £4,300.00 !!!
The car was my husband`s as he loved it very much, but he did not enjoy it as he died in a IRAQ 3 month ago. It brings very bad memories to me, I want to get rid of it.
The buyer will receive the car with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it to his name.
I am in BERLIN,GERMANY right now but the car is in UK and it will be shipped from there.
Shipping will be done whit DAS and it will take no more then 2-3 days. I have a friend there who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is my duty to pay for shipping it.It will be delivered directly to your address.
Anyway, I have to let you know that I want a fast deal so if you are really interested in buying it, please reply with the following information's:

-YOUR FULL NAME .
-YOUR SHIPPING ADDRESS

The transaction will be closed only through eBay vehicle purchase protection so we both be protected.
Also in this way you have the chance to pay after you receive and test the car!
I will look for your email,so that we can move forward with this deal!
Let me know,
Sandra!
PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK AT: [email protected]
"

Generally if something is too good to be true - it is.

If a seller won't let you view an item - don't buy it

Anmdy

I got that same email too :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom