How was the Datford Crossing this morning ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Full implementation today

Seemed better from what I could see from the A2 !!!

One would hope so! It would be a bit "egg on the face" if not.

I've a work college who crosses every day. He has a conspiracy theory that the tolls had been delaying by approx 30seconds for every vehicle, over the last 6 months so when the new free flow opens it will appear a total success.

Heard on the radio this morning that there was traffic congestion there because of the change?!

But i understood that in the short term the barriers are still in place and will open and close for each vehicle?!? This was being used to 'control traffic flow'.

Adds more weight to the theory that they have been delaying traffic so when the final changes are implemented (no booths) it will be a roaring success.

I will be very interested to see the extra revenue due to non payment fines which they don't get at the moment.

But i understood that in the short term the barriers are still in place and will open and close for each vehicle?!? This was being used to 'control traffic flow'.

Adds more weight to the theory that they have been delaying traffic so when the final changes are implemented (no booths) it will be a roaring success.

I will be very interested to see the extra revenue due to non payment fines which they don't get at the moment.

Northbound they are sticking like this for a while. Southbound they are quickly demolishing a few booths to create a fast run. Bound to be slow at first...

I hope it's all well signposted and totally clear to all motorists what's happening. I rarely use the crossing and would hate to be reminded of the new payment system when I receive a big fine in the post! And what happens to tourists who drive through? Will they get away with it or will a fortune be spent trying to trace them to demand a fine that they're unlikely to pay? Would it really be too difficult and cause too much congestion to leave a couple of toll booths on the inside lane for those who prefer/need to get in a queue to pay by cash?

EDIT: Sorry, I see this is covered in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was having a delivery of 100 new scaffold boards from Dartford this morning. They left at 0920 and exited the tunnel north side at 1105. Of that time, it took them over an hour to travel about half a mile. They were not happy chickens.

I was having a delivery of 100 new scaffold boards from Dartford this morning. They left at 0920 and exited the tunnel north side at 1105. Of that time, it took them over an hour to travel about half a mile. They were not happy chickens.

Chickens? Sure they weren't duck boards?

sorry :doh:

Plucked if I know. Just eggcited to get them……..that'll learn you. Making bad puns.

Signed up for Dart Charge online which gives you a saving, but on the increased charge! £2 -----£2.50 is taking the urine IMHO. That is nearly 25%...........

Beauty of the Dart Charge is you will not get penalised for late payment although they have your money in their account of course.

Seeing the uk has not signed up to the eu cross border agreement to exchange car registration details I fail to see how they can identify to whom the fine should be sent via their european debt collectors......

Seeing the uk has not signed up to the eu cross border agreement to exchange car registration details I fail to see how they can identify to whom the fine should be sent via their european debt collectors......

Same in all other EU countries for UK drivers.

Don't tell me someone from the UK has never avoided fines by having UK plates!

Anyway everything is a conspiracy theory! They have it in for you!
They only improve medicine to make you live longer so you pay more tax!
And don't even go down the route of inventing Smart phones and 4G so you can go on line and buy stuff which generates more VAT!!!

Now the barriers have been down for a month, how are the regular trippers finding there commute.

Any improvement....

I'm not a regular user of the Dartford Crossing by any means. But I've had two recent experiences with the new system.

1) Knowing I was going to need to pay on my way to and from Gatwick airport earlier this month I went through the long-winded process on the website, paying £2.50 for each way. But on the day we left home the M11 was showing as chocker so we went down the A1 and took COMAND's recommended route anti-clockwise round the M25. So we didn't use the crossing that I'd already paid for. There doesn't seem to be a way to reclaim the payment. :fail

2) On the way home a couple of weeks later we used the crossing on a quiet early Friday morning. No queuing as we approached the tunnel so we thought the extra few pence to use the crossing was worth it. But no, when we got there the barrier in our lane stayed down and the lights red. GRRRR. But it wasn't just us - all the lanes closed. The M25 had been amazingly quiet on the way round so it can't have been a traffic-spreading measure. After what seemed a very long time the barriers lifted and the race was on. BUT, that low speed limit seems to last forever!

So from my very limited experience so far, I'm definitely NOT impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom