How will tomorrow's strike affect the road network?

What will be the state of the road network tomorrow?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I'm heading to Maidstone and Wokingham tomorrow and wondered what I may come up against, traffic-wise.

Will the strike planned for tomorrow by Public Sector Workers cause chaos or will the roads be quieter?

No air or rail travel should mean the increased traffic.

However, there will be no school traffic, and the possibility of many people taking a day off, or choosing to work from home.

So what will be the outcome?

You can vote (you may select more than one option) on the poll above.

Last edited:
At the very minimum I would say lots of schools shut, so parents, teachers and kids at home = Very quiet roads.

Shame speed cameras dont go on strike though :D (tho obviously i dont speed, ever, at all)

I'm down to Cardiff, Bath and Swindon so very much hoping for quiet....

I'm heading to Maidstone and Wokingham tomorrow and wondered what I may come up against, traffic-wise.

Will the strike planned for tomorrow by Public Sector Workers cause chaos or will the roads be quieter?

However, there will be no school traffic, and the possibility of many people taking a day off, or choosing to work from home.

So what will be the outcome?

You can vote (you may select more than one option) on the poll above.

Keep away from blue water I would think many of the hard up teachers and co will be out Christmas shopping, roads will busy from 10-2.

Keep away from blue water I would think many of the hard up teachers and co will be out Christmas shopping

You think ?

I was in Wokingham today as it goes. Generally quite well supported by a decent road network as long as you avoid the very centre of town.

I'd hope it's quieter than usual got a blast up to Manchester and back but then again I'll be in the GL so I can just drive over the traffic.... :bannana:

Keep away from blue water I would think many of the hard up teachers and co will be out Christmas shopping, roads will busy from 10-2.

That's the assumption regarding our local shopping centres.

Expectation is they'll be mobbed.

And if they are then the economy will get a boost in November. (With a corresponding negative offset to cause retail misery in December :rolleyes:).

we are planning an off road bike ride
one less car, one extra van journey
and two more pub lunches

I don't imagine the impact will be huge.

I live virtually next door to bluewater, might just pop in and do a bit of teacher spotting and shaming :)

I plan to eat my butties here.
gotta be better than bluewater
monsal%20head_twilight.JPG

should be quieter on the roads, i've only got to haul myself to Swindon for another exciting day in the office.

Why would rail travel be affected if it's public sector workers that are striking? Aren't all the train companies private franchises these days? (Apart from TfL, of course, and there's nothing about service disruption posted on their website.)

Why would rail travel be affected if it's public sector workers that are striking? Aren't all the train companies private franchises these days? (Apart from TfL, of course, and there's nothing about service disruption posted on their website.)

That's a very good point, MOCAS.

I somehow had the idea (don't know where from) that some rail services would be disrupted.

As far as I can tell, the only rail services affected are the Tyne & Wear Metro, Glasgow Underground and all trains in Northern Ireland, which are run by local government.

I'm still not tempted to take the train, though. :)

I vote for quieter than usual but on second thoughts; If everyone off for the day decides to go for a run in the car because the roads are quieter...:wallbash:

Irony abounds.

Our lad had his leave cancelled as he cannot go on strike and must be on standby (he gets a day in lieu) for "anything" that may come his way.

There is a march through Preston City Centre as there are in other cities. So watch out for parking being bunged around city centres. Will I being going to watch and support the march - No. Will it keep me away from the city centre and spending my hard earned - yes.

Some of the roads around Surrey and West London this morning are very busy.

Looks quiet outside my house (NW London).

I've got to catch a train to Nottingham later - looks like all the trains are running fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom