How will tomorrow's strike affect the road network?

What will be the state of the road network tomorrow?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a look at WesLangdon's public profile. It says he is a Company Director.

Have you had to make any cuts Wes in this awful time we are going through. How are you doing with your workers wage demands and pension terms and conditions. Did you give your workers the extra day off for the recent Royal Wedding. Just curious is all.

not all companies are for profit, thanks for the interest though!

In common with the MAJORITY of U.K. workers I am employed in the private sector by a company of less than 220 people. We supply goods to industry and the automotive aftermarket . During an average week I see around 30 companies , of varying size ( from sole trader to multinational), and must say that a great deal of them are finding their markets very challenging. Many are drawing lower wages in order to remain competitive / stay in business , as well as seeing their pension investments dwindling . What are the unions going to do to help them ? I think we know the answer to that one.
At present the private sector are already having to deal with the prospect of low/ non- existent pensions, longer hours , less staff and postponed retirement .Not just tough for the public sector .

Traffic was okay yesterday:rolleyes:

Cegotiate what, more pay, less hours, larger (if any ) pension?

primary school maths lesson:

Company A takes in xx revenue, it pays out yy as direct and indirect costs, which leaves zz profit.

So lets say we increase pay...Oops, profit gone...Ok lets say shorter working hours...Oops more workers needed, profit gone...Ok, increase pension payouts...oops profit gone.
If the profit goes the company goes bust.

You really don't seem to have any concept of the need to make money as a company to stay afloat, most companies are cutting costs at present in any way they can. If enough fail to do that the public sector will have no money at all to burn. Public sector staff need to make savings, just like private sector ones do.

Low wages encourage low productivity.

High wages encourage innovation in productivity, better management, motivated staff, highly skilled staff.

Let's have an economy based on high tech / high margin production. Let's not go back to pottery and steel - leave that to the Indians and Chinese.

A true politician's answer. (don't answer the question:D)

Of course it did. Perform an analysis of who is effective and who isn't then get rid of the ones that don't perform/produce.

It appears the concept of efficiency escapes you. Do you work in Public sector?

Sorry to disappoint. I work in a competitive sector of the private sector.

We do not pay peanuts and we do not employ monkeys.

I think you have an overly simplistic view.

High wages encourage innovation in productivity, better management, motivated staff, highly skilled staff.

A cursory look at the banks and financial institutions that brought the economy to its knees proves that the above ain't necessarily so.

I am not so sure. I think your paradigm is a little too cursory. The state of the US economy was irrelevant to the banks. But the innovation and productivity was excellent, it was the time frame on the bonus schemes that did for Goldman Sachs etc, (plus the regulation was lacklustre and the every American deserves a home policy wasn't much help).

I am not so sure. I think your paradigm is a little too cursory. The state of the US economy was irrelevant to the banks. But the innovation and productivity was excellent, it was the time frame on the bonus schemes that did for Goldman Sachs etc, (plus the regulation was lacklustre and the every American deserves a home policy wasn't much help).

I think my point is sound. Managerial decisions were so poor that massive losses ensued whilst many of those racking up huge salaries in the good times were revealed to be barrow-boy spivs of no real use as soon as the bubble burst.

okay - I could pick at it but it isn't worth it. Pay peanuts get monkeys is a rule of thumb, not a law. Offering good salaries does widen the field when it comes to recruitment.

And the discussion is neatly sidestepping the public service ethos, you know, wanting to make a difference being a motivator. I know social workers who seem to deal with unremitting misery but now and then they manage to put things back together, turn a life around, and then they cannot help but grin inanely over a few celebratory pints.

Just to round off my contribution to this thread when I implied that Jeremy Clarkson might be a tax exile I was joking right.

You have to hand it to the gentry in Britain, for centuries they have been surgical in there ability to 'divide and conquer'.

Low wages encourage low productivity.

If only life were so simplistic.

I think there's the issue of fair wages. Reward skills. Don't reward failure. And don't reward mediocrity.

But if it was really just down to money and wages? Then one might ask about the real skills and productivity of our financial sector.

Let's have an economy based on high tech / high margin production. Let's not go back to pottery and steel - leave that to the Indians and Chinese.

In your dreams.

After all it's not as if high tech high margin is exclusive to our economy. And as soon as you have competition high margin is hard to sustain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom