How Worn Are Your W124 Pedal Rubbers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buster'stheboy

Car
W124 230e 1989
Sorry if this is a bit of a frivolous/trivial post, but I noticed the other day that my accelerator pedal rubber is worn to holes and the car should only have done 118,000 miles. Seems excessively worn compared to my old car's rubbers on the left (142,000).

The thing is that I don't know if the rubbers are original on my old car, they might have been fitted later for all I know.

Does this look consistent with 118k? How worn are yours?

pedalrubbers.jpg

195000 miles and both rubbers look pretty good to me on mine, a little worn on the accelerator rubber to the right hand side but nothing noticeable.......just realised mine must have been on the motorway most of it's life!
cool !

i will go out and look and report back

@d w124..... seven 124's !! well done !:thumb:

no real wear, the right hand edge of the brake pedal has a little sign of wear - 90,000 miles

Last edited:
239,000 miles. Right hand edge of brake pedal rubber getting a bit smooth. Left hand edge of accelerator pedal getting a bit smooth but you can still see the defined "lines" on the rubbers.

Definitely not normal then. Never mind, if it's been clocked there's nothing I can do about it, so no point worrying. Having said that, the cloth interior was in exceptional condition and it has FSH, so it's a bit of a mystery. Oh well....

Thanks for your replies though. :)

buster if trapperjohn has been dancing on the pedals in his gucci loafers and your previous owner was a builder with gritty boots could that not explain it?:dk:

Maybe. First owner was an Engineer. Not sure what kind, but he worked in Qatar for a while, which is where he bought the car. But it was only there for a year, so probably not the hot dessert sand that's done it!

The 2nd owner only had it a year or so, so don't think he was responsible for it. He wasn't a builder or similar gritty type either AFAIK.

Mine was on ~170k when I sold it, throttle (and to an extent brake pedals!) very smooth in the centre, lines slightly distinguishable towards the edges but very smooth otherwise.

Maybe. First owner was an Engineer. Not sure what kind, but he worked in Qatar for a while, which is where he bought the car. But it was only there for a year, so probably not the hot dessert sand that's done it!

The 2nd owner only had it a year or so, so don't think he was responsible for it. He wasn't a builder or similar gritty type either AFAIK.

Qatar - sand on boots transferred to pedals as sandpaper on base of engineer's boots.

Gucci Loafers! Nope - Metal toe capped safety shoes most of the time ('cos they are cheap and safe) I do confess to wearing a pair of Barker's of a weekend, or being really old Silver Shadow trainers :ban:

Looks to me like wear has been accelerated because the pressure point for the main previous driver is offset to the edge of the rubber, which will tend to stretch it, crack it, and wear prematurely.

I wouldn't worry about it Buster, i've always thought that a relatively low mileage vehicle used a local daily driver would show signs of more wear than a high mileage car that may have had a lot of motorway use.

Either way, as long as the car has been looked after and is running well then all should be fine.

What does it say on the reverse of the paper in the pic?

"DON'T COOK YOUR DOG" ???

So what is one supposed to do then? Piccle them or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom