How would you hide the wires ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron

Car
E 300 TD Estate
I'm using a PDA for sat nav in my W210, but the wires are a bloody mess.

To make you aware of this set up, theres a wire from the GPS, mounted in certre of dash abutting the windscreen, down to the ciggie ligher power point, then a power lead to my PDA which I have mounted on the right hand centre vent.

The wires are too long and IMHO look a mess.

Any views on how I could make it all neater ?

(cant show you on a photo as I'm not that proficient yet !)

Ron

I currently have the same setup as you - although my GPS signal comes from my Road Angel GPS camera device !

I have managed to hide the wires pretty well, but it involves taking your entire dash apart . . I have the original Telephone console as well, so was able to hide some wires in / route wires through that.

The result is pretty neat

kit640.jpg

The wire from the GPS to the PDA, goes in the top right hand corner of the centre airvents, down the side of the heater controls (behind the woodpanel, around the bottom of the radio, out into the telephone console, and from the top, straight into the PDA.

You need to remove the wood fascia panel and the airvents to do a neatish job.

Power lead is behind the ipaq into the left vent top corner, and routes through the back of the dash into a 4 way power socket hidden behind the carpet in the passenger footwell, also powering the road angel, and hard wired into the back of the cigarette lighter in the ashtray.

S.

Last edited:
Dunno about taking my dash apart, but yours looks very neat.

I have a nokia cradle in the same location as yours.

I am however, curious to know what that thing is on the left side of your transmission tunnel ?

Originally posted by Ron
Dunno about taking my dash apart, but yours looks very neat.

I have a nokia cradle in the same location as yours.

I am however, curious to know what that thing is on the left side of your transmission tunnel ?

Nokia Slave / Privacy Handset

There is a socket for it on the "brains" unit of your car kit.

Taking dash apart not too big a deal. 4 screws holding wood panel (need to remove radio) , plus 2 more screws holding airvents in - just pull out.

S.

Originally posted by Ron
Dunno about taking my dash apart...
This was mine last night! Go on, you'll be surprised what you might find back there! :D

Attachments

• missing.jpg
    missing.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 147
Nick,

is your current car a/c (dials) or climate control (lcd screen)? just a little suprised to see the 2 mechanical knobs poking out for air routing.
confused.gif

Heh and I'm intrigued as to what you were fitting ;)

Sorry for the off topic post Ron
blush.gif
grin.gif

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
is your current car a/c (dials) or climate control (lcd screen)? just a little suprised to see the 2 mechanical knobs poking out for air routing.
aircon, and those two little mechanical knobs turn when you turn the dials! How poor is that? This is why it's so difficult to upgrade to climate from aircon: you have to change the heater core as well! I was measuring the holes up for comand...

Sym, I notice you have a crome MB logo on your steering wheel, was this one the car when it was made? or did you fit it?

If you don't really want to start hard wiring things into your car and i can understand why as i still find it a bit scarey taking my car apart ..... then try this

This is some conduit i got from IKEA . I normally use it for Home AV installs to tidy up the cabling behind the TV,processors etc etc

It comes from ikea , its split all the way allong and its very flexable. Its in the electrical section in your local IKEA.

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

Last edited:
Originally posted by Shude
aircon, and those two little mechanical knobs turn when you turn the dials! How poor is that? This is why it's so difficult to upgrade to climate from aircon: you have to change the heater core as well! I was measuring the holes up for comand...

Ahh I thought so, yup I've seen mine apart when I had the whole control module replaced under warranty last year. Shame you couldn't have nobbled the climate unit & heater core from your previous charoit :devil: As an aside do you notice much difference between the two since you've owned both? I suppose the hidden technical info screen was a real nice to have feature of the climate control.

*EDIT* Jason you've converted your W203 to Windows OS? I'm impressed at your bravery
confused.gif
silly.gif
grin.gif

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Steve_Perry

*EDIT* Jason you've converted your W203 to Windows OS? I'm impressed at your bravery

S. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yup , ive got a windows button on my steering wheel and next to the radio ive got a CTL+alt+del Shortcut key to end the crashed process :) lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom