Howards CLK 320 208 gearbox issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
Hello all,

I have had Howards car in for its gearbox fault and I thought I would share the problem and remedy with you all just incase you come across this issue. This fault has tested me!

The car is a CLK 320 208 chassis. The problem occured when the car was driven off the lights at a reasonable speed;) .

The gearbox was going into limp mode intermittantly. I put the car on my Star and it came up with a coding fault with the selector module which I was VERY sure was the cause of the problem. Under inspection a drink had been spilt over it at some point leaving a sticky mess. I was adament that this was the problem as the actual values on the Star were giving me incorrect selector positions.

I replaced the selector and regained the correct vaules on the Star but the problem was still there:crazy: .

Ok, so I decided to delve a bit deeper so cleaned up all the connections to and from the selector to the K40 relay unit. (where the selector gets its power from). I was still sure that somehow the selector or somthing with the selector was causing the issue.

I went on a few more road tests and another fault code poped up (that I had not seen as yet) with the speed sensor within the gearbox. Speed sensors are a very common issue so I fitted a new electrical plate (speed sensor is whithin the electrical plate)

I then went on another road test and all seemed fine until I turned round to head back to the workshop. Back in limp mode:crazy:

I was now getting frustrated becuase the Star was not giving me anything to go on and without fault codes it is very difficult to pinpoint engine and gearbox issues. I always use fault codes as a guide and not the answer to problems but without them its makes a difficult job much harder.

Note: The gearbox is fairly newish (Howard can confirm how old)

The items left that could be causing this issue were the gearbox itself or the control unit. I swapped the control unit from my 202 and it made no difference. Maybe the gearbox was faulty? I was not sure.

During all this diagnosing I had a couple of MB Techs come round the workshop and have a look with me. Both of them are Diagnostic Technicians and well respected as knowing their mustard. They had no clue.:(

I was still not convinced that the gearbox itself could be causing this issue.

I took the Star out on road test with me to check some values while driving. I spotted somthing.....:D

A fault code flashed up very quickly and went away. It said something about implausability.

I found the problem.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Can you guess what it was?

(Dieselman and Howard cannot answer 'cos I have already told them)

I have spent a grand total of 30 hours on this problem!

Hmmm...I'm guessing something to do with the gearbox not being able to work out what gear it was in (i.e. this gear position is not possible)?

No idea what specifically would cause that, perhaps a sensor out of whack or something?

Close .......

Have I missed anyting out Howard?

Not that i can think of .....

Its been a very frustrating time for Olly ( and me , on public transport with the great unwashed ;) for the last week ) ...

At one point we thought it was cured , and i drove down to Horndean from Teddington to collect the car , only to be told by Olly that it was cured when we rang , but now it's back !! :crazy:

I'm just so grateful for all Olly's hard work with regards to this. It was beginning to tarnish my enjoyment of the car . I never wanted to go any great distance from home in case it jammed in second gear while i was miles away ( it has happened in the local area and i have been able to nurse the car home :crazy: )

I'm not going to say what it was , because i think it is down to Ollys hard graft and knowledge that it is fixed so it's for him to say when he's ready or for someone to guess. But think hard , because it's not obvious !!

Le nightmare !! :crazy:

Wrong selector gate?

Nope ...

It said something about implausability.

It isnt a taste sensor is it? maybe the gearbox didnt like the colour of the car?? ie, `its implausable I should be underneath this pink car` you see gearboxes have feelings too, mine is called gary, he works better with an identity,

sorry couldnt resist, X

Diff swapped - or wrong speed sensor info ?

That the gearbox is wrongly coded, for a lesser model, and thinks the engine is accelerating too quickly, hence thinks there's some slipping in the gearbox and goes into limp home mode to protect itself.

wrong size wheels/tyres????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom