Howdy, decamped from BMW to a Merc :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pinter75

Car
2002 S500
Hi,

After a run of various BMW's, I am now a Merc owner.

Picked up a W220 S500, after missing the v8 in my 540i.

Expect a few questions from me, as I get to know the car and find out what kind of money pit I now have :)

The W200 won't be a daily driver, I work form home so will only do very very low miles in it. Also I have another Merc (Smart car cough cough), that is my town wagon.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

E39 540i is a great car. I almost bought a 540i Sport once but instead opted for a similar plate Alpina B10 V8 instead (which used a 4.6 version of the 540s 4.4).

The 540 was as smooth as silk, great to drive and looked the dogs danglies after the 2001 facelift.

LTD will answer many of your questions. Welcome E39 s are virtual motoring perfection.

LTD will answer many of your questions. Welcome E39 s are virtual motoring perfection.

Cheers.

Yeah the e39 was an amazing car. The 540i was special, and I do miss it :-(

Still gong strong when I let it go at 250k miles.

Still after a string of them, I though a S500 would be interesting.

Welcome to the forum!

E39 540i is a great car. I almost bought a 540i Sport once but instead opted for a similar plate Alpina B10 V8 instead (which used a 4.6 version of the 540s 4.4).

The 540 was as smooth as silk, great to drive and looked the dogs danglies after the 2001 facelift.

Indeed, I facelifted my '97 and it made it look a thousand times better. It came in shadowline trim and had real road presence.

Went like stink too.

Let's see how the S500 feels. It is still a new experience to me, but feels like BA First class, where the e39 was more Virgin Upper class ;-)

Let's see how the S500 feels. It is still a new experience to me, but feels like BA First class, where the e39 was more Virgin Upper class ;-)

You won't be able to compare them.

S500 lines up against the 7 series and has ABC I believe whereas the 5 is more E. Saying that - my E has airmatic and rides a lot better than the Alpina (standard suspension), even though the seats in the Alpina were more comfortable (Alpina V8 had 'comfort seats' as standard).

Your analogy will be the case methinks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom