How's life across the channel? (German asking)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marvin16x

Car
1997 C280T
Hello everybody,

it's been a while, both me being active on this forum and actually owning and driving a Merc. After selling my beloved 190 two years ago due to a solid amount of age-related issues (his) I stumbled over a 2003 Twingo (yeah, imagine a 6'4" bloke in that shitbox) which turned out to be a surprisingly reliable and decent car. Above all, it was cheap – and soon felt cheap as well, so I went back to good old Daimler when the Twingo's MOT was due. I've had my 1997 C 280 estate for 5 months now and I'm quite happy with it. Got it from an old chap south of Stuttgart who had a couple more Mercs around the house, so it was well looked after and also ran on LPG, which in anticipation of rising fuel prices seemed like an appropriate choice despite the thirsty V6 that hid under the bonnet (I wanted some performance for once).
Fuel prices have increased dramatically over the last couple of weeks indeed, just like general living expenses have for years now. There's only one direction. Another thing that seems to be en vogue in this country is putting absolute retards and anti-democratic, anti-German fascists in positions of power. We still have all sorts of mandates going, keep talking about compulsory vaccination (they ordered 550m doses for 83m people, you do the math). Nothing's been remotely normal or enjoyable for 2 years now, we keep shutting down power plants then cry about being oh so dependent on eastern oil and gas [...] It seems like an endless struggle. It's got to the point that I am now absolutely disgusted by this once glorious country (between 1950 and 2000), its "leaders" and a large part of the population. I need to get out. And I shall get out soon, at least for another little road trip around the UK. And by little road trip I mean spending the entire summer (or more, who knows?) around Britain to finally enjoy a breeze of freedom and the tingling sensation of adventure again. Looking to live out of my car for the most part. And I can't wait for that.

But before I shall commence operations I'd like to hear from you ... how's life across the channel? Like, actually? Like, now, in 2022? Is it really that good and free and promising, or does it feel to you like your country and its wealth are going down the drain as well? What are your views on the current... happenings? Feel free to let it all out. 🙃

Looking forward to your replies.

All the best,
Marvin

Sprit und Lebensmittel werden immer teuerer, der Lebensstandard sinkt immer mehr,unsere Politiker sind ein Witz, aber sonst ist es hier viel besser als bei euch.
Mann kann hier ohne Maske 'rumlaufen! und die Sonne scheint.😁

Marvin.

Good afternoon

Well Covid is still an issue with rising cases but most of the UK have or are about to end the majority of restrictions. Like in Germany fuel prices have risen greatly and remain very high along with a sharp rise in the cost of living generally.

Our politics is also probably as rancourous and divisive as your own but all that notwithstanding I think that you will find the UK as you left it on your previous tour.

Life goes on and despite the serious problems in Ukraine etc we still need to enjoy the life we have 👍😎

Regards

David

Winter was short and we were looking forward to spring and booking holidays and organising AMG meets......
Then that ghastly little shit with an inferiority complex and a big stick decides to show that he is still boss by humiliating his ministers and heading for the Azov seaside.
The worry for the Ukrainians has taken the edge off our plans.

Hello everybody,

it's been a while, both me being active on this forum and actually owning and driving a Merc. After selling my beloved 190 two years ago due to a solid amount of age-related issues (his) I stumbled over a 2003 Twingo (yeah, imagine a 6'4" bloke in that shitbox) which turned out to be a surprisingly reliable and decent car. Above all, it was cheap – and soon felt cheap as well, so I went back to good old Daimler when the Twingo's MOT was due. I've had my 1997 C 280 estate for 5 months now and I'm quite happy with it. Got it from an old chap south of Stuttgart who had a couple more Mercs around the house, so it was well looked after and also ran on LPG, which in anticipation of rising fuel prices seemed like an appropriate choice despite the thirsty V6 that hid under the bonnet (I wanted some performance for once).
Fuel prices have increased dramatically over the last couple of weeks indeed, just like general living expenses have for years now. There's only one direction. Another thing that seems to be en vogue in this country is putting absolute retards and anti-democratic, anti-German fascists in positions of power. We still have all sorts of mandates going, keep talking about compulsory vaccination (they ordered 550m doses for 83m people, you do the math). Nothing's been remotely normal or enjoyable for 2 years now, we keep shutting down power plants then cry about being oh so dependent on eastern oil and gas [...] It seems like an endless struggle. It's got to the point that I am now absolutely disgusted by this once glorious country (between 1950 and 2000), its "leaders" and a large part of the population. I need to get out. And I shall get out soon, at least for another little road trip around the UK. And by little road trip I mean spending the entire summer (or more, who knows?) around Britain to finally enjoy a breeze of freedom and the tingling sensation of adventure again. Looking to live out of my car for the most part. And I can't wait for that.

But before I shall commence operations I'd like to hear from you ... how's life across the channel? Like, actually? Like, now, in 2022? Is it really that good and free and promising, or does it feel to you like your country and its wealth are going down the drain as well? What are your views on the current... happenings? Feel free to let it all out. 🙃

Looking forward to your replies.

All the best,
Marvin
Which fascists are you referring to ?

Evening everybody and cheers for the replies. Still not sure what I'm trying to achieve with this thread but I'm happy some of you have shared their views and thoughts. I guess I'm so sick of living here I intend to not just go on vacation but actually stay in the UK for a little longer, maybe work there as well? Although I am not sure how feasible and reasonable that would be considering the current state of the world and the fact that there's been a thing called Brexit. But if this year is to be remembered as the one that spawned WWIII, I would like to make sure that at least I had decent summer and a good old time with a trusty Merc before shit hit the fan... Sounds a bit grim, I know, but looking at things and those in power it should be obvious that anything is possible these days. The war machine keeps turning. 🤷‍♂️

About the other 'fascist' bit...
I couldn't care less about the jab and everybody's status, but I should note that I'm unvaxxed and that there is no reason for me to change anything about that. I don't know much about the UK way of dealing with this and how people treat each other over there, but in Germany we have reached a point where you have to ask yourself: Really? Again? Over the last couple of months we have seen all sorts of politicians, scientists, journalists and others (always the same ones, mind you) publically and blatantly claiming things that are anything from fake news to actionable hate speech, literally comparing the unvaxxed to terrorists (Frank Ulrich Montgomery, the 'big boss' of some European medical association) and hijackers of the nation's freedom (Karl Lauterbach, health minister, multiple times) as well as saying on big tv shows that it needed to be clear that the unvaxxed were not part of this society anymore (Tobias Hans, MP of Saarland). And so on. The mad part about all of this is the fact that there's no outrage or media coverage whatsoever. That's mental imho. And as I mentioned before: I actually couldn't worry less about it. To each their own. Certainly not intending to open the can of worms here and make this yet another Covid related thread. Just trying to get you to understand why I am so enraged and disappointed. The latest bollocks coming from Karl Lauterbach's mouth was that Freedom Day in Germany could not be happening anytime soon since vaccination rates in Switzerland, Sweden, UK etc. are way higher, apparently – which is a plain lie and that is something he's been doing all day and everyday since he was appointed health minister some four months ago. And these people I call fascists. Olaf Scholz, the new chancellor that nobody ever gets to see or hear from is of the same kind. They know exactly what they are doing and they know it does not contribute in any way to keeping society peaceful and sane, democracy alive and trusted in... But these are just my two cents.

[...]
I rather be back in Australia (7 years there) for the weather and lifestyle but is far from anywhere and my son and his family live here.

Wow, sounds like you've got some stories to tell! I haven't been to OZ yet but to New Zealand and agree with you. It's hard being far away from anything really even if the rest sort of fits ... which is why I am glad that Britain appeals to me in such a way - I think I could be somewhat happy there.

Late enough now, I'm off to bed. Working saturdays is something I could do without. 5 days left to hand in my notice ...

Evening everybody and cheers for the replies. Still not sure what I'm trying to achieve with this thread but I'm happy some of you have shared their views and thoughts. I guess I'm so sick of living here I intend to not just go on vacation but actually stay in the UK for a little longer, maybe work there as well? Although I am not sure how feasible and reasonable that would be considering the current state of the world and the fact that there's been a thing called Brexit. But if this year is to be remembered as the one that spawned WWIII, I would like to make sure that at least I had decent summer and a good old time with a trusty Merc before shit hit the fan... Sounds a bit grim, I know, but looking at things and those in power it should be obvious that anything is possible these days. The war machine keeps turning. 🤷‍♂️

About the other 'fascist' bit...
I couldn't care less about the jab and everybody's status, but I should note that I'm unvaxxed and that there is no reason for me to change anything about that. I don't know much about the UK way of dealing with this and how people treat each other over there, but in Germany we have reached a point where you have to ask yourself: Really? Again? Over the last couple of months we have seen all sorts of politicians, scientists, journalists and others (always the same ones, mind you) publically and blatantly claiming things that are anything from fake news to actionable hate speech, literally comparing the unvaxxed to terrorists (Frank Ulrich Montgomery, the 'big boss' of some European medical association) and hijackers of the nation's freedom (Karl Lauterbach, health minister, multiple times) as well as saying on big tv shows that it needed to be clear that the unvaxxed were not part of this society anymore (Tobias Hans, MP of Saarland). And so on. The mad part about all of this is the fact that there's no outrage or media coverage whatsoever. That's mental imho. And as I mentioned before: I actually couldn't worry less about it. To each their own. Certainly not intending to open the can of worms here and make this yet another Covid related thread. Just trying to get you to understand why I am so enraged and disappointed. The latest bollocks coming from Karl Lauterbach's mouth was that Freedom Day in Germany could not be happening anytime soon since vaccination rates in Switzerland, Sweden, UK etc. are way higher, apparently – which is a plain lie and that is something he's been doing all day and everyday since he was appointed health minister some four months ago. And these people I call fascists. Olaf Scholz, the new chancellor that nobody ever gets to see or hear from is of the same kind. They know exactly what they are doing and they know it does not contribute in any way to keeping society peaceful and sane, democracy alive and trusted in... But these are just my two cents.

Wow, sounds like you've got some stories to tell! I haven't been to OZ yet but to New Zealand and agree with you. It's hard being far away from anything really even if the rest sort of fits ... which is why I am glad that Britain appeals to me in such a way - I think I could be somewhat happy there.

Late enough now, I'm off to bed. Working saturdays is something I could do without. 5 days left to hand in my notice ...
Being vaccinated or not is of course your choice. There certainly doesn't seem to be a divisive attitude here although as you say the majority in the UK are now covered.

With regard to Brexit. This should not be a barrier to you coming here and working and I am sure you would be welcomed as I am sure that you have skills that would be of benefit to the UK. 👍👍🇬🇧

I can't really compare Germany to the UK as I've never lived in the former. Although I've had a lot of fun on various business trips; I like Munich a lot and Berlin is off the scale fun-wise.

In terms of how life has changed here over the last few decades.....I'm not sure TBH and I'm not sure how you measure it in any meaningful way. I'm late 50's and still have my health and my sense of humour. I've got a job I really enjoy and close family. Although it's now 12 years old, I'm still very happy with my Merc and it's still the best one I've ever had.

To be fair, recent events have shelved my half-formed plans to chop it in for an CLS63 or whatever. Mainly due to insane heating bills on the horizon and in the short-term tanking of my savings. Plus the uncertainty around inflation. The huge growth in equities over the last few years created an illusion that high yields were easy and around for ever. Nothing new there, of course. The normal cycle.

But, in the scheme of things, having to choose between an E500 and a CLS63 is the definition of a first world problem. So, in my little bubble and my little corner of NW London, I don't have much to moan about really.

It's not just Germany. E.g. the very powerful are using covid to try and impose more and more systems of control e.g. in many countries and states the 'digital ID' brought in to act as covid passport are now being retained and expanded. Other countries and states have, thank God, rolled them back (including the UK). For now. My worry being it will be reintroduced under the banner of more covid outbreaks and convenience.

I think we're all about to have a 4th vaccine shoved down our throats. Again, my scepticism about this is that the limited scientific data released shows that natural immunity (exposure) to covid plus one or two jabs provided the most beneficial health outcomes (so, like 3 jabs with no exposure naturally to covid). But when you go beyond 2 or 3 jabs (covid exposure depending) health outcomes start to deteriorate, suspected to be due to immune system fatigue due to excessive boosters.

But at least any additional boosters will be for the good of the public, and not for the good of the profits of the pharmaceutical companies, right?

So I am able to write to my MP and do so on a regular basis (and never get a response from them despite it being part of their code of conduct), and I ridiculously hope this might influence their decision making. One of my opinions is being anti vax MANDATE, which is 100% NOT anti vax, as I myself am triple jabbed (but now wondering if I should have dodged the 3rd jab).

You ask why the media are not reporting dissenting views about vaccine, or corruption and misuse of public funds and positions, and MPs buying up shares in weapons companies before Russia invaded Ukraine? I would ask if it's because the interests of a lot of these organisations are aligned, so it is not in their interests to report those sorts of things. Don't fool yourself, corporate entities (E.g. news outlets) will put profits first, before your interests. There are very few independent news outlets left.
Thankfully, to some degree, the BBC seems to have some independent reporting, especially at the local news level.

Being vaccinated or not is of course your choice. There certainly doesn't seem to be a divisive attitude here although as you say the majority in the UK are now covered.

With regard to Brexit. This should not be a barrier to you coming here and working and I am sure you would be welcomed as I am sure that you have skills that would be of benefit to the UK. 👍👍🇬🇧

Ironically, Putin's actions have had one positive result. Petty arguments about Remainers and Brexiteers, Vax vs antivax, Labour vs Tory that have consumed out headlines for the last few years have been almost completely forgotten as we watch what's going on in the Ukraine with horror.

Maybe it makes us realise that, at the end of the day, we're far more similar to each other than we sometimes think.

I'm a glass half full person about this sort of thing. Other opinions are available :)

I have lived in both countries ,as a child and as an adult, and my take on it is that for all our faults the UK is a great place to live. We are, generally speaking, free of the mindless bureaucracy that infects the daily life of Germany. We can hang out our washing, wash our cars, mow our lawns on a Sunday. Try that in Germany. For everything there is a instruction or a prohibition. (gebot oder verbot).
Before I am accused of being anti German, I am German born, naturalised British and have dual nationality.

.....mow our lawns on a Sunday.

Now that is a petty bit of bureaucracy I would sign up to . If I were god of all things, using a lawnmower or strimmer on a quiet summer Sunday would require a permit stating why Sunday is the only day of your like that you have time to do that .

If you job makes Sunday your only day off , fair enough , mow away my friend. If you are a retired person who has all the time in the world and lives 2 doors down from me FFS can't you do that on a Wednesday you Selfish Ba$tard !!

Sorry , Rant over . as you were.

.....mow our lawns on a Sunday.

Now that is a petty bit of bureaucracy I would sign up to . If I were god of all things, using a lawnmower or strimmer on a quiet summer Sunday would require a permit stating why Sunday is the only day of your like that you have time to do that .

If you job makes Sunday your only day off , fair enough , mow away my friend. If you are a retired person who has all the time in the world and lives 2 doors down from me FFS can't you do that on a Wednesday you Selfish Ba$tard !!

Sorry , Rant over . as you were.

We have neighbours a few door down who until recently paid a firm of gardeners to some sound at 9.00am on Sunday with their petrol powered lawn mowers, strimmers and leaf blowers. Two guys too - so double the noise. Unbelievably selfish.

Still, most people seem to self-police that sort of thing which, on balance, is preferable to by laws. There's always someone who'll take the piss, unfortunately.

Swings and roundabouts.

Ironically, Putin's actions have had one positive result. Petty arguments about Remainers and Brexiteers, Vax vs antivax, Labour vs Tory that have consumed out headlines for the last few years have been almost completely forgotten as we watch what's going on in the Ukraine with horror.
Putin doesn't like debate. He is particularly adept at stifling it.
Maybe it makes us realise that, at the end of the day, we're far more similar to each other than we sometimes think.
We will be if Putin succeeds - all of us muzzled.

I have worked 50 years in the metal processing industry.
Unfortunately, about 25 years ago, the EU carve-up saw my work transferred to Germany.
So - Most of my work for the past 25 years has been for German manufacturers.
You know - The unspoken, unreported deal ....... Germany got the engineering/manufacturing and the UK got Deliveroo.
I have worked for German companies in Osnabruk, Menden, and Olpe.
I have always been impressed by the German people, their kindness and respect towards me (maybe it was sympathy !) and by their civilised towns, cities and people.
They're also very good engineers.
I've seen the UK slide down the slippery slope of corruption and incompetence, where the politicians are self-serving and the political parties are bought-and-paid-for.
UK is still a great country - Despite the above.
The nonsense here hasn't hurt me ...... But ....... I'm one of life's survivors.
Many people are very-much less fortunate.
So - Marvin16x - Don't come here looking for the promised land.
It's a long, forgotten dream.;)

*** I hate mowing lawns
:mad:

I have worked 50 years in the metal processing industry.
Unfortunately, about 25 years ago, the EU carve-up saw my work transferred to Germany.
So - Most of my work for the past 25 years has been for German manufacturers.
You know - The unspoken, unreported deal ....... Germany got the engineering/manufacturing and the UK got Deliveroo.
I have worked for German companies in Osnabruk, Menden, and Olpe.
I have always been impressed by the German people, their kindness and respect towards me (maybe it was sympathy !) and by their civilised towns, cities and people.
They're also very good engineers.
I've seen the UK slide down the slippery slope of corruption and incompetence, where the politicians are self-serving and the political parties are bought-and-paid-for.
UK is still a great country - Despite the above.
The nonsense here hasn't hurt me ...... But ....... I'm one of life's survivors.
Many people are very-much less fortunate.
So - Marvin16x - Don't come here looking for the promised land.
It's a long, forgotten dream.;)

*** I hate mowing lawns
:mad:
Germans are on the whole nice. Viz my various cousins They have even learned how to form an orderly queue! However, did you ever ask a policeman for directions?🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom