How's Lockdown work?

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 37751

I know there are a lot of forum members in the IT industry so I understand it'll be a bit more seamless than others but I was just wondering how you were all getting on with work? Are you working from home more now? Enjoying it? Hating it?

Or are you working through the lockdown as was?

Same as ever for me, bit more paperwork for air travel, flights aren't as common and quarantine over here in Norway.
Work toolbox talks talk about covid, but apart from that it's as you were.

St Helens Council Ground staff (Cleansing, Parks, Cemetery departments etc) no change, carrying on as usual. :) 👍

Work on contract to local authority for Disabled facilities, wetrooms,adaptations,ramps etc. Between all my customers being at high risk,on the brink,and not putting my self or them at risk im off until levels go down. Same last march just enjoyed the time to relax a bit.

Business as usual Supplying Garage Workshops Vehicle Parts, Retail side obviously quieter.

Everything normal here apart from the fact that I’m cycling to Kensington and back which is hard work in the cold weather.

Wife is still at work flogging Volvos. 🤷‍♀️

My wife’s hairdressing business closed for now. Still getting a few people asking for appointments! Fortunately we don’t have to rely on her income.

90% of clients in Pub, Restaurant and retail so well and truly ****ed. No help from Govt apart from furlough for staff

Retail business closed so Facebook/eBay sales only. Fanfookingtastic Hun innit

IT for me, as long as the VPN's and RDP Gateways stay online my work is done :) Since the initial lockdown in March I have been to the office about 5 times. Our core business model has had to change as we are(were) in the business of managing Corporate Events. Lost a few million in revenue but currently not doing too bad compared to a few of our competition who have had to close.

Biggest impact for me was retiring at the end of October after 34 years in the company, with just a farewell video call with my boss (in Houston) and a dozen or so current and previous colleagues. Leaving gift was emailed vouchers, courier sent to collect my laptop and ID card from my house ... all a bit strange.

I was furloughed from mid-March to mid-September last year but the industry I work in has adapted and now it looks like we can keep working through. Luckily I cannot work from home so still get a daily blast up the A3, and most importantly, one back home. I consider myself fortunate, my work-from-home neighbours are not enjoying the experience but hopefully a lot of other people are. I feel so much for those who have lost work, truly awful.

Been working from home since March, the only bit I notice sometimes is the lack of face-to-face chat. Otherwise it's great; most of my systems are cloud based (there's VPN for the few that aren't), I've put together a test rig here and I have faster internet than the office.

I don't miss the commute in the slightest, I'm not shelling out £200 a month on fuel, I'm probably eating better. As an unexpected bonus, not being in the office means that every request has to be put in writing - this has effectively put a dead stop to certain parties/departments/partner companies palming off their jobs or trying to ask for things they shouldn't be. I don't really see a reason to go back full time after this all settles down.

I’m busy working on a bathroom renovation for people in our village. All materials bought back in December. Luckily the folk have a mahoooosive motor home on the driveway so they’re currently living in that so I’m just in the house alone.

Next job is internal doors, skirts and arcs in a new build so again will be working alone.

I feel very fortunate that I can continue to work (safely) when many can’t.

Sounds a lot like the first lockdown has prepared everyone on here pretty well for the subsequent upset.

I know both sides; people who are really struggling financially and with for work and also I know others who are flat out.

Building a couple of new houses, mainly me & the assistant (wife!!!). So working through.
1st lockdown caused supply problems as most builders merchants in the area chose furlough (unnecessary) instead of risk assessment. At the time I was waiting for a roof tiles (& felt, battens, etc.). Factories were open & wanted to trade but only through builders merchants who chose to close.
Furlough not an option for us due to company structure. Preferred to work anyway.

I work in construction so nothing has really changed from this time last year.
We work on single new build sites so not many people on site at a time, materials have not been a problem although we did order about 6 months worth at the start of this last march as we didn't know what the effect would be.
Glad to still get out on site but feel for the people who have lost either their jobs or even their businesses through no fault of their own.
Chin up everyone, this bulls##t will end one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom