HOWTO: Blower motor / ventilation fan removal on w202 (lots of pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but I found this googling.

Got a 1999ish (square lights not round) MB C280 with what was initially a slowing motor that would sometimes not work and now doesn't send air out at all.

The carpet in that area is/was somewhat damp, so I'm guessing water got in somehow and has killed the motor.

Knowing nothing about MB (VAG person myself) I was curious to find out what is wrong and needs to be replaces when this typically happens.

I'm guessing the motor + speed control is a good starting point, but is there something that would have failed to let the water in, or perhaps just a dodgy/degraded seal on the pollen filter.

Apparently the MB dealer quoted £2,500 to repair it which makes no sense at all for an otherwise very nice car. I almost got the impression they were trying to tempt a trade in so they could fix it and have a nice old merc for next to nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
My W202 fan packed up so i removed & cleaned up comm & brushes but it only lasted a few days,it's in pretty bad shape ! New fans are available for about £80 and breakers round me are asking £35-40 ! After some research and my Dad fitting a W124 fan into a W202 that's what i've done. W124 fan for £5 and readily available. Small amount of mods to make it fit - splice 2 x spade connectors, remove lugs from rear of plastic housing where rear of fan locates & re-drill fixing holes. It's so easy that even if it only lasts 6 months i'll do it again !!

Forgot to mention it has to be a fan from a W124 without air con as these have double impellor.....

Many thanks for this Shude. My blower packed up last week. Managed to replace it in 40 minutes. Car now driveable. Excellent.

Problems getting the blower back in

Thanks for the HOWTO!

The garage said that my blower and regulator needed to be replaced (W208). After following instructions from the HOWTO the job was relatively straightforward. The only thing that's an issue is that I can't screw the four mounting torx screws completly, without jamming the blower from freely rotating. It's hard to tell what's the problem, but leaving the screws loose just means the blower tilts out of position every time I hit a bump and the fans get stuck.

Is it possbile to access the fan from under the bonnet?

Thanks,
LK.

If for whatever reason you decide you want to take your ventilation fan or "blower motor" out, here is how to do it :)

1. Take the plastic ventilation cover off the underside of the dashboard on the passenger side. It looks like it's held on with a screw, but it's a plastic clamp, turn it a quarter turn and the vent will pop out.

pollenfilter01.jpg

pollenfilter02.jpg

2. Take the three screws out from the cover over the underside of the glovebox. Remove the whole panel.

pollenfilter03.jpg

pollenfilter04.jpg
Hi, I have tried both Internet explorer and firefox and cannot see the pics, are they still available? Thanks S

You could go to your local vacuum cleaner repair shop with what’s left of the originals and you should be able to get a reasonable close match, slightly over sized, you can then reengineer them to fit, using files and sand paper, slightly round off any sharp corners. Brushes are brushes, it’s only the size that matters.

Dec

WRONG - There are many grades of carbon. If you use the wrong grade then you'll end up with problems.

If you use too hard a grade then the brush will wear the commutator of the motor - resulting in you needing to replace the full motor.

If you use too soft a grade then the brush will wear prematurely and will need replaced again

I used washing machine brushes as a temporary measure in my heater motor and it squeeled like a pig due to the brush being too hard a grade of carbon. I replaced it with some of the correct brushes off ebay and its been working like new ever since

Ebay Brushes
Mercedes W202 + SAAB Valeo heater blower motor brushes on eBay (end time 05-Feb-10 06:40:37 GMT)

Right guys here's a link for how to remove the heater motor from a W202

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/blower.html

Hope this helps

Those pics are pretty similar to mine actually (although mine are for RHD models). Will try to get them uploaded this weekend.

Thanks for the correction, hadn’t thought there would be different grades, you learn something new every day.

Dec

Blower fan access

My blower is not working at all.

Shude member posted a very good explanation on how to get to the blower motor.

However, for reasons unknown, the pictures do not show on my computer.

Anyway, as a newbie, I cannot ask things directly to anyone, unless I have 30 posts. So, here I am asking the Forum: How can I access the blower fan on the cabin? Does anyone have pictures to share?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

OldBeaver

5. You're looking at the motor-end of the fan, the speed controller is screwed on top of it and you need to remove two torx screws from it. Unplug the speed controller when you have taken the screws out.

blower06.jpg

blower08.jpg

blower09.jpg

6. Now the speed controller is removed the four torx screws that hold the fan in place have been exposed. Take these out, watch out because they're the only thing holding that fan in place. (apologies for pic, it was made out of several badly taken pics ;) )

blower07.jpg

Last edited:
My blower is not working at all.

Shude member posted a very good explanation on how to get to the blower motor.

However, for reasons unknown, the pictures do not show on my computer.

Anyway, as a newbie, I cannot ask things directly to anyone, unless I have 30 posts. So, here I am asking the Forum: How can I access the blower fan on the cabin? Does anyone have pictures to share?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

OldBeaver

Welcome aboard Oldbeaver. :)

There is a "New Members Introductions" section on the forum. Put a posting there and tell us a little about yourself - we don't bite (many).

I can't see the pictures either. You could try "right clicking" on the red X and then selecting "show picture" and see if that works.

One of the admin team will pick up on this thread and hopefully remedy the problem with the images.

Paul.

this is really handy as mine not working either :)

"The Fan"

Symptoms like most others - took the very good advice here & explored brushes ... a tap on the bottom of the exposed (switched on to go but not functioning) fan duly jogged it into life. Did this time & time again; so convinced it was brushes, found a nice man on ebay & now the job's done for £9 including postage! Oh yeah ... a hairdresser's mirror (or similar) makes the job easier.
A v. big thanks to all with the advice, info & experience to draw on. Good on ya!

Heater Motor Brushes

STOP, DONT JUST FIT ANY CARBON BRUSH TO YOUR HEATER MOTOR AS A REPLACEMENT, you will cause unneccesary and serious damage to your commutator. I had worn brushes in my heater motor on my c220cdi, and was quoted nearly £400 for a new heater motor from the Mercedes dealers, I was a a loss at where to obtain the new brushes untill i looked at ebay, a chap sells them at less than a tenner for a pair. The brushes are of a specific grade of carbon and fit perfectly to most mercedes models, I fitted them in less than half an hour, all you need is a soldering iron and a screwdriver mine works like new, it saved me a fortune and they are oe quality, his ebay site is wunderpartz, very helpful Bloke, and they arrived the next day, item search title, Mercedes Heater Blower Motor Carbon Brush, or email him at [email protected] hope this helps, Rob @ Mercedes Mech

Last edited:
Hi folks,

thanks for all your help on here. I've been lurking around this forum for a bit without much posting, but the information i have been able to gather from other posts has been invaluable and saved me shed loads of money!

I have E220 w210 with a fan motor that has been squealing for the first 10 seconds of operation for quite a while. Recently it has got worse to the point that any operation over 2 results in the fan slowing and eventually stopping after about 30 seconds.

As others have posted similar symptons and shude's howto seems to cover the removal and investigation of the motor, then i would like to give this a go.

I was wondering if there was absolutely any chance the howto could be updated with the original photographs, I like others cannot see them in IE or firefox.

I'm really not confident without some photo's to refer too.

Many thanks in advance :thumb:

Kieron

Literally 3 days after reading this thread (I was bored on the nightshift last week) Guess what happened this morning when I got in the car?!

"Windows taking a while to demist i'll turn up the fan....wait it's not on at all...B****R"

Ordered some replacement brushes as per above, lets hope its the 30 min job as described :)

Whilst I am ferreting around down there, are there any filters I should look at changing on a 200k mile car with no service history to speak of?

Last edited:
Top thread guys, thanks for posting - went from ordering a new blower motor at £108 to cleaning and repairing mine for free :) Not sure how long it'll last, but its going strong again for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom