HOWTO: Blower motor / ventilation fan removal on w202 (lots of pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
HOWTO: Blower motor / ventilation fan removal - W202

If for whatever reason you decide you want to take your ventilation fan or "blower motor" out, here is how to do it :)

1. Take the plastic ventilation cover off the underside of the dashboard on the passenger side. It looks like it's held on with a screw, but it's a plastic clamp, turn it a quarter turn and the vent will pop out.

pollenfilter01.jpg

pollenfilter02.jpg

2. Take the three screws out from the cover over the underside of the glovebox. Remove the whole panel.

pollenfilter03.jpg

pollenfilter04.jpg

3. The fan cover has a cable going to it and a hole in it where the cable plugs into the fan speed controller. Unplug this first.

blower01.jpg

blower02.jpg

4. There are two white plastic clips that help to hold the cover in place, slide these towards each other and the cover should become loose, pull it off (clips may come off too).

blower03.jpg

blower04.jpg

blower05.jpg

5. You're looking at the motor-end of the fan, the speed controller is screwed on top of it and you need to remove two torx screws from it. Unplug the speed controller when you have taken the screws out.

blower06.jpg

blower08.jpg

blower09.jpg

6. Now the speed controller is removed the four torx screws that hold the fan in place have been exposed. Take these out, watch out because they're the only thing holding that fan in place. (apologies for pic, it was made out of several badly taken pics ;) )

blower07.jpg

7. The fan is now out. If you should want to examine the insides of the fan then you will need to remove the plastic housing, this is held on with two screws and perfect-fit friction :) .

blower11.jpg

blower12.jpg

If you want to put it all back together again, just read this thread backwards :)

Excellent post Nick!! :D

Do you think all the brill illustrative "HOW TO's" deserve their own category? Just a thought.

S.

Wow it is just like a Haynes Manual only understandable.
Great post, Excellent pics.
I am envious of your Expertise.

Keep cool
Joe

Originally posted by joe
Wow it is just like a Haynes Manual only understandable.
Great post, Excellent pics.

Keep cool
Joe

Not forgetting to mention also in glorious Colour:D

Just wanted to say thanks for the HOW to, and that the instructions are 100% the same for a w208 CLK.

Thanking again for the "how to", this is my problem: I've a noisy rattle (like a "grrr") that came from the blower motor area, it appear passing over potholes and the same noise come out also putting speed 3 of the fan (but disappear passing to 4, boh!). That is the reason I realized that the rattle is relevant to the blower motor.

Wheeks ago I dismounted the assembly to check for possible corrosion or interference between fan blade and relevant plastic sheld/support. It was OK, I cleaned and sprayed with suitable product. Noise went away but after few days returned again and now, after few wheeks it is the same.

Please does someone have had similar problem or suggestion to me?

Blower motor, brushes, contacts are all OK. Do I have to look to some other thing that may rattle from that zone? But as far I can see, it's mainly related to the blower motor itself.

I thanks for any input.

Hi

You could try looking at it while it's running, although I suggest goggles or something while you're doing it because any filings/dust/dirt etc will get blown at high speed into your face. Mine developed a rattle but that turned out to be a cable internally tapping against the plastic cover, just moved it a little and it stopped.

Thanks Shude, so as I can, I dismount it again, to check for possible cable interference, as you had. Do you intend electric cable (that relevant to the blower motor itself I belive)? If I'm not wrong there are not any other thing there below, don't it?

It's too boring take it away another time (panel, screw, bluetooth control and other cables that are located internally of my passenger foot area!!!).

Thanks again

Marco

1998K said:
Thanks Shude, so as I can, I dismount it again, to check for possible cable interference, as you had. Do you intend electric cable (that relevant to the blower motor itself I belive)? If I'm not wrong there are not any other thing there below, don't it?

It's too boring take it away another time (panel, screw, bluetooth control and other cables that are located internally of my passenger foot area!!!).
It was one of these cables I think:
blower06.jpg

You need to remove the outer cover, the fan cover, and then plug the cable back into the three pins so it has power again. I spent a lot of time in the footwell trying to get the stupid fan to turn! It is fun trying to remember which way to turn the dial to get more speed or less when you are under the dashboard and you can't see the dial :)

Like I said though, watch your eyes, without the cover on that thing blows a lot of air into the passenger footwell and it might have grit/dust/sand/filings/anything in it.

Shude said:
You need to remove the outer cover, the fan cover, and then plug the cable back into the three pins so it has power again. I spent a lot of time in the footwell trying to get the stupid fan to turn! It is fun trying to remember which way to turn the dial to get more speed or less when you are under the dashboard and you can't see the dial :)

Like I said though, watch your eyes, without the cover on that thing blows a lot of air into the passenger footwell and it might have grit/dust/sand/filings/anything in it.

Yes, I've done that kind of test and I remember the amout of disgusting things that came down :cool:

When I done that test the noise disappear, but to be more precise, it went away as I removed the fun cover :mad:

So I re-check, may be is the same problem of you: the cable interference. I have to find time again to do this, hopefully this w-end, when I'd like to install the rear door sunshide :D that arrived yesterday but one was broken (side plastic clip broken probably during transportation :devil: ).

As far as your brushis, have you solved your problem finding new ones? :confused:

Hi

Marco

1998K said:
As far as your brushis, have you solved your problem finding new ones? :confused:
No :(

I will keep an eye on the brushes and springs and when the time comes I will just buy a new blower motor. It's expensive but it's impossible to get by without one and I know it will last for another 7-8 or however many years mine lasts for.

Shude said:
No :(

I will keep an eye on the brushes and springs and when the time comes I will just buy a new blower motor. It's expensive but it's impossible to get by without one and I know it will last for another 7-8 or however many years mine lasts for.

Ok. How other many year do you plan to keep your W202?

The one you had previously were similar to the present? I saw the photo and if I'm not wrong was black-green, don't it? It's really a fantastic colour! Really hard to see the destroied photo of that nice car. :(

1998K said:
Ok. How other many year do you plan to keep your W202?
I will keep it for as long as possible! :)
1998K said:
The one you had previously were similar to the present? I saw the photo and if I'm not wrong was black-green, don't it? It's really a fantastic colour! Really hard to see the destroied photo of that nice car. :(
My previous car was 891 alexandrite green, present car is 189 emerald-black :)
Similar colour in some lights, but the emerald-black looks a lot darker most of the time.

Shude said:
I will keep it for as long as possible! :)

My previous car was 891 alexandrite green, present car is 189 emerald-black :)
Similar colour in some lights, but the emerald-black looks a lot darker most of the time.

Mine is obsidian-black (hoping I write right), I'd like to compare, on real, mine with an emerald-black like your, since at the beginning I was waiting for one like your but, since available before (also used) I took this.

Is your lowered?
Sorry to hijack the tread, if you want we can move in another section. ;)

I would like to say thanks to the poster. My blower intermittenly couldn't turn on and it seems that the connector to the fan loose, reseating it again and it works again..!:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom