Howto: Change engine mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parrot of Doom

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 R-reg W210 E300TD saloon
At 176,000 miles the engine mounts could do with changing. The car shakes slightly when the engine is killed, and the steering wheel vibrates gently when idling. Not things a Merc should do. Job should take about 2 hours, no more.

Tools required:

Ramps
Scissor jack (or trolley jack but scissor is easier)
Big blocks of wood, railway sleeper thickness
Sockets, ratchets, extensions including a flexible extension

1) Put the car on the ramps, parking brake on, gearbox in P. Chock the rear wheels.

2) Remove the 2 plastic trays protecting the engine, and the transmission. 8mm bolts.

3) The mounts are easily spotted. They're also quite accessible.

4) Each mount is held to the chassis by two bolts. One on top, one below. The bolts below are a doddle to reach, holes have been cut in the chassis to allow a socket through. Its the bolts on the topside that are a bit tricky, however they're not too difficult.

These images show the location of the mounts, from underneath the car, and the location of the bolt on the nearside mount.

nearside%20mount%201.jpg

nearside%20mount%202.jpg

You can see how easily accessible it is. Unfortunately, the top bolt isn't quite so obvious. You have to reach around with a spanner and undo it blind - unless you remove the intake manifold, which is job for another day really. Fortunately, the offside mount top bolt was barely fingertight so not an issue.

Just like removing a wheel, its important to loosen both bolts before you jack the engine up - this makes removing the bolts much easier before you place massive strain on the engine by jacking it.

5) Move your scissor jack into position underneath the oil pan, and carefully raise it up. If required, put a block of wood underneath the jack to get the necessary height.

You will need to put a block of wood between the oil pan and the jack, to spread the load over a wider area. You don't want the jack punching through the oil pan, or distorting it in any way. Wood is nice and soft, so is ideal for this.

jack%20engine%201.jpg

MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT EVERYTHING IS SECURE AND WON'T MOVE AROUND BEFORE YOU JACK THE ENGINE UP

jack%20engine%202.jpg

6) Jack the engine up about 1/2 to 1 inch - no more should be necessary. Now, go to the nearside mount, unscrew the remainder of the bolts top and bottom, and it should come out straight away. They don't weigh much, but don't let it drop on your head!

nearside%20mount%203.jpg

If you look at the top rubber sections, you might be able to make out a large crack running around the circumference of the mount. You can also see the top locating pin.

Here are the old and new mounts together. Note the difference in height - I'm uncertain if this is wear/tear, or different design. Probably a combination of the two. Certainly the engine mount I bought (MB OEM) was different in several ways, most obviously the use of more rubber (not visible in the pic)

nearside%20mount%204.jpg

7) Pop the new mount in place. You may have to jack the engine up slightly, as the new mount will be slightly taller than the old one. Be careful not to push it up too far, keep an eye on the fanblades and exhaust. Ensure that the top locating pin fits correctly into the mounting area, and screw both bolts in place. Lower the jack slightly and let the mounts take the weight of the engine, and tighten both bolts up securely.

Let the jack down completely, and for good measure give the bolts another bit of a nip.

8) The offside mount is a bit easier. The bottom bolt is just as simple to remove as the nearside mount. The top of the mount is different. A metal bracket holds the exhaust heatshield in place, and the bolt for the mount passes through this bracket. In this picture, you can see the bracket, the bolt that holds the bracket, and just underneath my mate's fingers is the top bolt for the mount. The tube running diagonally through the frame is the gearbox dipstick tube.

offside%20mount%20top%20bolt%201.jpg

You don't need to remove the bracket to get the mount off, so leave that alone. You will need a flexible fitting for your ratchet, like this:

flexible%20fitting%20for%20ratchet.jpg

The cloth is optional!

offside%20mount%20top%20bolt%202.jpg

Loosen both bolts, and jack the engine up again, remove the bolts, and pull the mount out.

Each mount has a different part number. The mount ending in 3017 goes on the offside of the engine bay - underneath the exhaust manifold. The mount ending in 2817 is more rubberised in appearance, and has a rubber sleeve to protect it from diesel fuel and goes on the nearside of the engine bay - underneath the injection pump and intake manifold. The mounts apparently have different stiffnesses.

bolt%20old%20mounts%201.jpg

both%20old%20mounts%202.jpg

Initially I got the mounts mixed up, and put them on the wrong side - I've corrected that now, you can see the discussion in the original thread. Please note that this post has been corrected to reflect that mistake, and to avoid others making the same mistake I made! The mounts that came off the car were almost identical in appearance.

And there you have it. Pretty easy job. A couple of times while out driving I thought the engine had stalled. The steering wheel previously vibrated slightly, now its a barely noticeable murmour at idle.

Hopefully now I can get the belt tensioner problem sorted finally. I may also at some point do the transmission mounts.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time.

An excellent 'howto' POD , thanks

The two mounts are different. The offside mount is stronger to take the additional weight of the turbo. The offside one always wears out first.

According to the EPC I have the A 202 240 28 17 ENGINE MOUNTING FRONT LEFT appears to have updated to A 203 240 06 17
The A 202 240 30 17 ENGINE MOUNTING FRONT RIGHT appears unchanged but it's possible that's been updated to a A 203 part too recently.

The 202 prefix indicates these where originally W202 C-class parts carried over to the W210 and currently appear updated to W203 spec.

Make sure you've put the mounts on the correct side.On my E320 they are the same but on the diesels they are of different stiffness.

adam

Last edited:
Right. From this picture

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/car stuff/merc tech/engine mounts/nearside mount 4.jpg

You can see that the model number of the new shock on the right is 3017. Now I know for a fact that the 3017 shock is the only one from the two new shocks that had a base with splines on it.

We changed the nearside (front right) shock first. The nearside shock came out, it had splines on the base, so we assumed that splines = splines, and did a swap. I am very confident now that as in that picture, shock 3017 went onto the nearside.

The other shock, 0617, with the extra bits of rubber - well I don't have a picture of that, but it had a smooth flat base. I'm very confident again that we did the offside shock (front left), the old shock came out and had splines on the base - thats where I started to think about if they were going on correctly because its replacement had a flat base - but its in there now.

The more I think about it, shock 3017 went on the nearside. Front right. Which means that the other shock, 0617 - must be on the offside - front left.

So I think everything is fine. I will check when the weather is better, but I'm pretty confident we got it right. Thanks Big X for the code numbers, its very helpful :)

The only thing I'd add to this is that the 606 diesel engine has an alloy sump so will be less tolerant of point loads (from a jack) than a steel sump. So a wise move to use a big block of wood

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

You know what bugs me about having a different shock on each side? The keyways are identical. How hard would it have been to make them different, so you couldn't make the mistake I almost did?

Oh well.

For future reference, I have found some stock images of the two shocks.

Right (nearside) mount (underneath injector pump/intake manifold)

engine%20mount%20left.JPG

Left (offside) mount (underneath exhaust manifold)

engine%20mount%20right.JPG

/edit: Corrected, original post had them the wrong way around

Last edited:
Parrot

Might be better changing that from left/right offside nearside to just side the turbo is on and side the inlet manifold is on.
I personally call the left side(sitting in car) the nearside and to add confusion people from USA or the continent could be reading.

Great Post

Thanks,

I always use nearside and offside, theres no room for confusion then. In a RHD vehicle, nearside = passenger side. Trouble is, the Merc parts catalogue calls them left and right (as you stand in front of the car and look at the grille) :/

Parrot of Doom said:
I always use nearside and offside, theres no room for confusion then. In a RHD vehicle, nearside = passenger side. Trouble is, the Merc parts catalogue calls them left and right (as you stand in front of the car and look at the grille) :/

Where does it say Merc calls parts left and right looking at the direction of the grill ?????????????

Hi

Right hand drive?? This is the Right side, or the left side if you are looking at the grill.:D :D

We could always use Bow, Stern, Port, Starboard.

:D :D

Crumbs. They're on the wrong side - 3017 should be under the exhaust manifold.

Oh well, back to the drawing board! Sorry kth286, you were correct and I was wrong.

Replace the Gear box mount at the same time

The weight of the engine and the gear box rests on three mounts - two at the engine and one below the gear box. All three parts are made mainly of rubber and they roughly have the same lifespan. It is best to replace all three parts at the same time because replacement of any one of the three parts require the same amount of efforts ie jacking up of the car and the engine etc. An even more critical reason to replace the gear box mount whenever the engine mounts are replaces is that jacking up the engine puts straints on the gear box mount unless it is removed before the engine is jacked up. Straining the gear box mount may cause its rubber parts to tear. If so, the car will have a new kind of vibration after the engine mounts are replaced if the gear box mount is not replaced at the same time. Vibration caused by the failure of the gear box mount is more irritating than the failure of the engine mounts because the vibration is contineous.

On why the two engine mounts are different and are not interchangable, I believe it is because the engine flywheel etc always rotates in one direction and the moment of initia caused by an accelerating engine alway put extra pressure on one of the two engine mounts. I hope I am not talking rubbish!!!

Replace the Gear box mount at the same time

The weight of the engine and the gear box rests on three mounts - two at the engine and one below the gear box. All three parts are made mainly of rubber and they roughly have the same lifespan. It is best to replace all three parts at the same time because replacement of any one of the three parts require the same amount of efforts ie jacking up of the car and the engine etc. An even more critical reason to replace the gear box mount whenever the engine mounts are replaces is that jacking up the engine puts straints on the gear box mount unless it is removed before the engine is jacked up. Straining the gear box mount may cause its rubber parts to tear. If so, the car will have a new kind of vibration after the engine mounts are replaced if the gear box mount is not replaced at the same time. Vibration caused by the failure of the gear box mount is more irritating than the failure of the engine mounts because the vibration is contineous.

On why the two engine mounts are different and are not interchangable, I believe it is because the engine flywheel etc always rotates in one direction and the moment of initia caused by an accelerating engine alway put extra pressure on one of the two engine mounts. I hope I am not talking rubbish!!!

W L Ow said:

Depends on the engine configuration, for example on the IL 6's they are the same mounts either side.For the 4 cylinders petrol and diesels engines most appear different.BTW the second from last set of digits (for each mount type) seem to indicate stiffness level.For example small petrols have the lowest number and AMG the highest.For bird flu of dooms car the left is a 28 and the right a 30 in the original A202 part number.

adam

Last edited:
Parrot of Doom said:

Never, right or left on a motor vehicle is always viewed from the back facing forwards, sometimes confusion can occur when a part is for l/h drive only (for instance) but is fitted on the right hand side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom