Howto: Clean the Duovalve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parrot of Doom

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 R-reg W210 E300TD saloon
Right, as I'm having problems with my aircon (blowing intermittently hot on driver's side) I thought I'd check out the duovalve to see if it was working correctly.

Feel free to point out any stupid errors I've made, but this is what I did:

1) The duovalve from what I understand controls the flow of coolant to the cabin. Obviously you have separate passenger/driver heat controls, so thats why you have 2 valves. On the W210, its located near the brake fluid vessel, offside at the back of the engine bay:

162901302_8824f87b85.jpg

See the two grey cylinders? Thats the duovalve.

2) Start by making sure the coolant isn't too hot. The last thing you want is to open it up and roasting hot coolant comes shooting up your arm, forcing a trip to hospital for burns! First, unplug the power connector. Its a bit stiff, so you may have a bit of a struggle removing it. Its clamped on either side, I used my fingernails to pull the plastic clamps back so the plug could slide free.

163106081_3cf23a1c02.jpg

3) When its reasonably cool, take a torx bit and unscrew the 5 torx bolts that hold the metal case together:

163106079_c2689ee4f5.jpg

Don't worry about losing the bolts in the engine bay. They're very long, the reason will be evident shortly:

163106083_59eb624bb3.jpg

4) Once the bolts have been removed, you can remove the two covers. They just slide off very easily:

163106084_7abdfc4221.jpg

You can now see 2 orange cylinders, not unlike cotton bobs. These are electrical coils, and they're what makes the pistons in the valve move in and out (its the same principle as a hifi speaker). I presume the position of the valve is controlled directly by the position of the temperature dial in the cabin. The two blue components are capacitors, very very cheap and easy to replace. Nothing exotic.

163106086_4a56043ec7.jpg

5) Obviously there are 4 large pipes into the duovalve assembly. 2 for water heading in, 2 for water heading out. The duovalve splits in two which makes sense if you have a blockage that needs clearing. Its fairly easy to split, there are no retaining plastic lugs, just plastic guides.

163106087_f4d58d117a.jpg

READ THIS BIT CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU SPLIT THE VALVE

At this point, I cannot stress how important it is to have a bit of help on hand. At the very least, a bit of cardboard sheet to stop things falling down into the engine bay.

163108162_6b048f3a70.jpg

When you lift the upper half of the duovalve away from the lower half, there are two small valves that are not held in by anything. So what will happen is that if you're not aware they're there, like me, they'll fall out and down into the engine bay! If this happens, to retrieve them either get a long screwdriver with a blob of grease on the end, or remove the cradle that holds the duovalve in place by undoing the bolts on other side of the firewall. You will have the devil's own job getting them out. They're brass and plastic and therefore not magnetic. Its easy to do with a grabber, but guess who didn't have one.... :(

Anyhow once I'd retrieved them, this is what they looked like:

163108159_9f73ed79c7.jpg

6) Theres not much else to do here. Check all the pipes and the valve body, make sure there are no obvious blockages. Give everything a wipe, remove any rust and crud. If you want to remove the rubber pipes its easy enough, just take a pair of mole grips and squeeze the clamps open, slide the clamp back away from the duovalve, then put a large flat bladed screwdriver in the end of the hose to free it before you tug it off the duovalve body. Might be an idea to get the help of a friend here since putting the clips back on can be tricky, there are a few bits of engine bay that get in the way.

7) I used an anti-fling spray oil to lubricate the pistons on the valve. The pistons are the only moving part visible unless you were to take the entire thing to bits. Its all pressed metal and plastic so I didn't think it would be a good idea to do that, especially when dealing with water and seals. Fortunately both pistons moved pretty freely on mine, they do make a slight grating sound as they move up and down, and they are spring-assisted, but I'm presuming thats normal.

8) To put the duovalve back together, the easiest thing is to put the two loose valves in the lower half on the duovalve body, and very carefully slide the top half of the body down so that the valves mate with the pistons correctly.

9) The rest of reassembly is the reverse of the above method. The power connector only fits one way, but even if you manage to connect it the wrong way all that should happen is that the heating controls in the cabin will be crossed over.

10) Use a hose and clean tapwater to carefully wash around the duovalve and any places that antifreeze spilled over. Its icky stuff and doesn't really dry too well, you don't really want it gumming up your engine bay. Take care not to get water down the numerous electrical connections that are in that area of the engine bay.

Last edited:
Job well done Parrot.
I've seen a ratchet handle just like that before, strangely enough in just the same place..:)

Crackin Howto. Deserves moving to the right section :bannana:

I need to do mine now, thanks for the info and what to look out for.

Ian you may find it beneficial to remove the rubber hose on the top part of the duovalve body before splitting the valve. It allows easier access, although its not strictly necessary since there is plenty of slack to take up on the hose.

My advice is to remove the duovalve from the car before you start take it apart.Be very carefull with those brass valves as they are very fragile/

ty VERY much - wish you had posted this last week - see my post of sunday in electronics

duovalve problem - fixed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have had a problem with the aircon / heating for a while - was sure - ( been advised by many here ) that it was the duovalve but not keen to spend £180 (stealers price ) or £120 ( europarts price ) and find out all you experts were wrong. Today took the plunge and attacked it - removed 5 torx bolts took the top off and sure enough one of the pistons was stuck solid. freed it up with a set of mole grips and put it back together - now it is working fine.
Couple of words of warning to all who may try -
1. when you take the top of the valve off - beware the cone shaped piston is not held in well and mine dropped below the valve - bugger to find it and get it out.

2. had to take it apart after first attempt - one of the pistons wasnt seated properly - eventualy decided to use the mole grips to slightly crunch the rod to grip the piston - this has had the desired effect.

3. wondering how long it will last , dont really care - at least i KNOW it is the duovalve that was faulty and if it lasts thats me £120 better off

gonna give myself a nana - and several beers

and i just found out i won a tenner on the lottery - so thats me £130 better off

so i guess thats a nana for you too - or maybe 2 as yours is more detailed than mine- sod there goes all my glory:bannana: :bannana:

btw Parrott - if your so damn clever - can you tell me how to fix my sunroof - b4 i figure it out myself - lol :D :D

( def said in jest btw)

This is really a good discussion.

Thanks to all.

Marco

Brilliant 'How to' and excellent pictures. 10 out of 10. :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Well done,
John

Edit:

Has everyone rated this thread?

Top right icon

The Parrot comes up with the goods yet again...

Thank you very much for another excellent and useful How To.

I have exactly the same issue on my W210 300 TD T.
Incidentally the problem is not connected to the air conditioning as mine blows hot air out of the driver's side vents after a warm start almost every time, whether the AC is on or off.
Seems to cool down as soon as I rev the engine to ~3000 rpm.

Your engine bay looks like you could eat your dinner out of it, how do you keep it so immaculate?

Fantastic pictures, thanks again.

Karl

the other site said:
...When duovalves are unpowered, do they open? If so, it would explain why it tends to happen after parking - power comes on but they don't close immediately.
My W124 blows HOT after a stop/re-start too. Now I know why.

If you look back at the picture directly above the large bold words "Read this carefully before you split the valve", at the bottom of the picture you can see part of a metal clip. You can get a screwdriver blade between it and the valve body. Spring this clip out a bit (it doesn't need to come all the way off,but it might - but don't lose it-I tied a bit of string to mine as they can fall into awkward parts of the car ), and the identical clip on the back of the valve, not visible in the picture, and the duovalve will lift off and you can remove it from the car. A bit of water might come out but not much as its at the high point of the system. You can then work on the valve outside the car. Once you know about these clips it becomes very easy to put the duovalve in and out. If you buy a new duovalve it becomes obvious what the clips are and how they work.
On a sobering note, I cleaned my duovalve and it made no difference. A new valve was required to properly sort the problem.

Nick

Fandango said:
Your engine bay looks like you could eat your dinner out of it, how do you keep it so immaculate?
Karl

I second that - it looks great!

Do you use any sprays? Every time I clean my engine it never runs properly again!

stargazerplus said:
Do you use any sprays? Every time I clean my engine it never runs properly again!

That's because yours has those unncessary sparky things that Parrott has disposed of.;)

I don't really bother to keep the engine bay clean, I find a filthy oily rag, a wipe every few months, and it keeps itself clean.

The simple way to free a stuck valve is a whack with a rubber mallet.
On most cars I would remove them and work on them at a bench.

adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom