HOWTO: Fit an Avantgarde/S600 grill - w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
HOW TO: Fit an Avantgarde Grill on a W202 (Very easy Mod that is a must for all W202 owners)

-Time taken 15-20 Mins
Tools required:
-8mm Socket, Small Philips screwdriver, Pliers.

Parts required:
-Avantgarde Grill (Also known as an S600 grill) £29 + £10 P&P from MatrixCar, EuroCarParts, or other dodgy eBay versions.

Id personally recommend the MatrixCar one, after 4 days it had arrived from the Fatherland for only £39 (via PayPal) & its OEM quality!

I am writing this guide AFTER I had installed the Avantgarde grill, so for the first few shots it includes the Avantgarde instead of the old one! :rolleyes:

Removing the old grill
1: With the bonnet open, locate the 8 bolts under the existing grill (see Red dots), 2 ether side and 4 along the top - use an 8mm socket to unscrew them.
avangrill1.jpg

The 4 side ones are easy to remove (as long as they arent rusted like one of mine which was hell to remove! - Use some WD-40 to easy them free), the 4 along the top are in groups of 2 which also hold in a pair of plastic covers which will fall down - be ready to catch them!

avangrill2.jpg

2: With the bolts removed, gently tug the old grill out, carefully guide the bonnet handle through the vents.

avangrill3.jpg

avangrill4.jpg

3: Once its all clear of the car, place the grill face down and pull off the old clips and note their postions & keep them safe:

avangrill5.jpg

With all the clips off, remove the bottom screw in the centre

avangrill6.jpg

4: Pull out old grill from the metal surround - this can be a pain!

5: Now to fit the new grill, again this can be difficult to get the grill part into the metal surround, I recommend sliding it in from one of the sides, if this doesnt work - carefully use a pair of pliers to bend the 4 'C' shaped clip mounts on the surround so you can pull the old grill free.

avangrill9.jpg

Before you re-attach the clips, screw in the bottom Philips screw to insure the grill is centred correctly. Place clips back on (small on the sides, 4 big ones on the top.

avangrill7.jpg

Refitting
6: With the grill all back together, push it gently back onto the bonnet (clean the area 1st),

Make sure to remember to feed to bonnet opening handle through the 2nd strip! - see below
avangrill12.jpg

7: Screw all the bolts back in - remembering to include the 2 plastic covers.
If you cant work out which one goes on which side: (part numbers on them)

Drivers Side:
202 887 01 99
Passenger Side:
202 887 01 98

avangrill13.jpg

8: Close the bonnet and admire your much younger looking motor!

avangrill14.jpg

This thread is dedicated to the memory of M193 CLX who is no longer with us. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Photobucket restored images bump :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom