Howto-Install aerial mast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Howto:Install aerial mast

Really simple job to do.Start with the mast cheap enough from the dealers.

newmast.jpg

Only tool needed is an open ended 13mm spanner,
Start off by having an assistant switch on the radio so the mast goes up as far as it can.Then undo the top nut with the spanner.

mastup13mmspanner.jpg

It will look like this when undone.

undone.jpg

Get your assistant to switch off the radio so the mast goes down about halfway then get them to switch it back on, so the mast goes back up,be ready to catch it as it comes out,Take note which way the teeth are facing on the plastic rod.(facing towards the rear on mine)

mastout.jpg

Your new mast is ready to install.Push the plastic rod into the hole with the teeth facing the rear of the car.

insertingmast.jpg

Get your assistant to switch off the radio,so you can push gently on the mast so it goes in and locates on the geared drive and starts to retract.When it goes in you can then start tightening the new nut up and then finish off with the 13mm spanner.

installed.jpg

Job successfully done :rock:

Last edited:
Good post. Should definitely go in "how to" section. Should be emphasised that this is a simple job for two people and impossible for one!!!

Spinal said:
Thanks, quick qn, my mast spins in its socket when I try to unscrew it....
Sounds like there must be something loose inside.Id take the inner panel off inside the boot and check to see if anything is loose.

Pluggers - replied to your PM but got this :

pluggers has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Hi pluggers, tried with the old mast and quite interesting ;)

The problem is crud, gunge or whatever (not rust surprisingly) that builds up around the base of each section and cause the mast to stick to the next section. Of course you can't get in to remove it as the mast is clearly built up in sections and brazed along the way.

Shame but worth finding out I think he he.

Dont suppose you have the part number from yout receipt please as I have access to one from outside a dealers and want to check the correct part number, thanks

my e220 coupe 1996 had a Hirschmann Auta 6000 KE Aerial. the spare telescope was described as telescopic antenna MB6 682 8037 The Hirschmann no was 820 902 104. My MB parts guy identified it from the very small number on the knob at the top of the aerial in my case this was 04. PS You will need a magnifying glass!! :confused: I assume you have looked at http://portal.hirschmann.de/content/cmscontent/101533_ccs_ds_110_gb.pdf which is the hirschmann on line catalogue The mast was only £20 from MB and they fitted it for me no charge! :) :)

Last edited:
Got a problem with my aerial, sometimes it goes up when i turn the radio on, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it goes halfway up and stops sometimes just an inch or two, occasionally it just clicks in the boot and it doesn't raise at all,

I have lubed it and checked connections, any idea ? :confused:

I have lubed it and checked connections, any idea ?

Howard, only that is sounds like it is another mast ready for replacement :(

see above - i checked pluggers old mast and despite seriously lubing the mast gest full of gunge, hard gunge not rust, at the base of a section that jams in the top of its adjacent section - hence the intermittant sticking.

Great info grober, thank you

Howard, dunno about your car mate, but a friends 500SL (1990 vintage) needed a new mast last Friday. £20 from the dealer. They even fitted it FOC.

Pluggers picture seems to indicate an 11 on the box where I have a 04 and the catalogue page7 indicates a different aeriel to mine with hirshman replacement mast part no 823-112-111 so maybe thats the one to go for. :confused: :confused: best to look for that little number on the end of the mast :rolleyes:

no 823-112-111

Thanks Graeme, thats what I found too in the hirschmann file. Mine is an 11 too so thats what I'll go for, thanks for the info. That file will be useful for others too in the future - if they do a search that is :D

grasmere said:
Dont suppose you have the part number from yout receipt please as I have access to one from outside a dealers and want to check the correct part number, thanks
I cant find the reciept from the dealers but the box has got the number 823 112-111 wrote on it. :D

finally . . .

Well, bit the bullet and got mine changed today. Got fed up of the mast not retracting :rolleyes:

Price, Hirschmann code 11 mast from $tealer$ was
£16.33 + £2.86 vat = £19.19

To fit is a one man doddle:
1. switch radio on - watch mast go up
2. use 13mm spanner to loosen topnut
3. remove mast
(3a. if necessary switch radio off allowing
aerial to go down then repeat step 1 and 3.)
4. Still with radio on, ie mast in 'up' position insert plastic toothed
rod into aerial socket with teeth facing rear, leave aerial dangling
5. switch radio off, push rod further into socket until the teeth
catch and retract the aerial all the way.
6. Screw in and tighten topnut
7. Test on/off and up/down
8. enjoy . . .

Nothing to do with the thread really, but an Aerial/cost related tale:

I had E30 3 Series BMW, electric aerial on rear wing. I had the already non original aerial replaced with a nice looking black masted one, but a real cheapy £30 jobbie.

Car went to BMW for a new exhaust backbox. They washed the car afterwards, but one guy managed to turn the ingnition on as the other turned around swiping the aerial off as it erected.

I was waiting while the job was done and was swiftly told of this accident, told that they would replace the mast with one from stock.

A short while later the Service Manager returned. He snobbily pointed out they could not replace the mast as my aerial was not original fitment. They had however installed a complete Hirschmann with a black mast which was standard firment on other models free of charge. I believe the parts were approx £130 from the BMW parts counter!

grober said:
Good post. Should definitely go in "how to" section. Should be emphasised that this is a simple job for two people and impossible for one!!!
I did it single handed-OHHHHH, what a show off :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Hello,
I used this link to help me solve my aerial problem - Easy with such a good set of instuctions. Thanks to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom