HOWTO: Outside temp dislay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
HOWTO - Outside temp gauge

Finally got my act together and fitted an outside temp guage.Very easy to do.The only tools needed were electric screw driver,cable ties,wire cutters,soldering iron and solder,2mm allen key or small screw driver.Parts obtained were the temp display unit and temp sensor,the wire is supplied to go to the instrument cluster with this part.

parts.jpg

First thing to do is disconnect the battery negative lead.Then you can remove the instrument cluster and then remove the blanking plug for the display unit, useing the allen key (save these screws as you will need them to secure the display unit back in).Then insert the temp display unit and resecure.

Disply unit
step2.jpg

display unit fitted
step3.jpg

Whilst the cluster is out you will need to check you have the correct plug fitted to the temp sensor lead,this will fit into the 21 pin connector(the larger of the two), that plugs into the rear of the cluster.

To check this, carefully strip down this plug by cutting the cable tie and sliding down the end cover to expose the inside of the plug.You will have to look for assignment A1 and A2.BE carefull as wires or plugs might come out.If this is OK replace cover and secure for now.

On mine I had to change this plug on the sensor hence needing a soldering iron.The other type of plug needed comes supplied with the temp sensor ready to fit if its needed.Be sure to keep the colour assignment green A1 brown A2.

This is the picture of me soldering on new pins for the new plug resting on my knee.

plug.jpg

When this has been done and you are sure the plug is correct you can now fit the sensor to the front of the car.I have fitted it to the removeable panel under the bumper via one stainless steel bolt M5 with stainless washers.

step4.jpg

Route the cable through the inside and up through the wireing ducts under the washer bottle and up the side of the car and around the back of the engine so it comes out next to the fuse box.

Route cable through duct under washer bottle

step5+6.jpg

Overview routed to the fuse box

Route through here
step7.jpg

Unscrew the fuse box and lift out the assy just enough to get your hand in.The sensor cable has to go into the fuse box via an empty rubber bung at the side,just cut one open and route your cable through that and exit it at the bottom of the fuse box through the bulk head.At this point I found it easier to remove the bottom panel of the dash board to gain better access.Route the cable to the 21 pin connector and install into assignment A1&A2.
step8.jpg

Refit everything back together then install the plugs back into the instrument cluster and refit back into dash.

Connect the battery lead,switch ignition on and hey presto :bannana:

tempdisplay.jpg

Last edited:
Great "Howto" ! :D

Am I glad that my car came with one already fitted ! All that wire threading sounds like fun !

(Picture of finished item please !!)

S.

Last edited:
I cant do a finished photo yet I ran out of film for the last couple of shots.

Last edited:
Great how too

... can you include part numbers and prices please?

One small point to note is that the sensor should be out of the direct air flow like behind the number plate otherwise it will be including the wind chill factor its reading.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Sp!ke
Great how too

... can you include part numbers and prices please?

One small point to note is that the sensor should be out of the direct air flow like behind the number plate otherwise it will be including the wind chill factor its reading.

good point i'll check it out.

Thanx

Pt no MA202 542 03 05 temp display £23.39+vat
Pt no MA001 542 26 18 sender £32.06+vat

Took about 2hrs to fit

Originally posted by Sp!ke

This doesn't matter as wind chill is only felt by warm blooded animals using the still air as insulation. The air will be at the same temp. whether moving or stationary.

Early sensors were mounted behind the numberplate to keep them out of the sun, whereas later sensors poke out of the front of the lower grill, directly in the air stream.

Originally posted by Dieselman
This doesn't matter as wind chill is only felt by warm blooded animals using the still air as insulation. The air will be at the same temp. whether moving or stationary.

Early sensors were mounted behind the numberplate to keep them out of the sun, whereas later sensors poke out of the front of the lower grill, directly in the air stream.

That probably why there is a slot cut out into the lower grill so the sensor and wire can fit through.

Very neat how to, congrats on a no fuss install tutorial. Answers some of my questions on how to exchange the gauge on my 260E and how to retro fit one to the 200 shed. :D :D

Hopefully should have a finished piccy tomorrow,I have got a m8 bringing in a digital camera to work. So I should be able to do that and maybe some clearer pics of the plugs and sensor.

The outside temp gauge on my W210 shows to high a reading, some 5C above correct.
Can this be adjusted or if not should I just change the sensor to fix it.
Also, a related subject, the clock does not display properly, some parts of the digits are not showing, would this need replacing to fix or just cleaning or something similar.
All help would be appreciated.

Considering the price for both items on my car I would say its cheaper to replace, than to get someone in to repair the eletronic gubbins.Personally if the readout does not display properly I would replace that first as it could be that, thats not working correctly.

Pluggers, great how to and inspired me to add one to my c220 1996.

A query though please. Whilst checking what I needed etc I noticed when direct sunlight fell on the place in the instrument panel where the temp gauge is that I could see what looks like unlit elements of a display with a + at the left hand side - if that makes sense. I suspect there could be a gauge already fitted though there is definitely no sender unit on the front bumper.

Would you agree? I ask so I will just order the sender prior to removing the panel

cheers, Ian

It does sound like you already have the temp unit inplace,I have heard that this was done on later models,Why only half a job is anyones guess :rolleyes: ! One thing tho just to be on the safe side,I would take out the cluster and check its the same unit thats fitted on mine.As later models were actually built into the cluster and possibly require a different temp probe for the bumper.Not sure when the pre facelift cars were updated with newer electronics before the actual facelift car took over.

EDIT: is your front bumper and the cluster identical to mine ?

sorry for delay in replying - I took pictures but cannot download from camera at the moment :crazy:

The cluster is slightly different below the speedo but the temp guage is in the same place. The front bumper on mine RH side from front, seems to be in the same place but is a straight hole front to back hole approx 5 or 6 mm in diameter (pics are definitley easier than describing ;) )

Next thing I'll do is pop out the cluster and check. Then try ordering the probe. Followed by an update how to with pics hopefully :)

cheers, Ian

Well pluggers, I'm damned if I can get the cluster out :mad:

I even took the lower panal down to push from the rear but the cluster just wont move forward at all - any ideas m8, pretty please :confused:

Ian

thanks for that tip Sym, I can see now what effort needs to be input. I'll wait now till tomorrow or should I say till daylight !

Phew ! I must have the tightest cluster in the world :D

Well it took ages and a lot of effort (on my back) to get the cluster forward enough to look at the back.

Definitely different to your cluster Pluggers. There is no module like you have. The rear is fairly clean except for what seems like a circular hole for perhaps the temp probe end inserted at rear of cluster. Mines a Sept '96 W202 Classic.

I'm going to go to the local stealers (Harrogate) and ask the parts dept for their comment etc on the sensor connection.

I reckon that where the sensor wire plugs into will be the same place as mine which is in the back of the wiring plug.If you go to the dealers be armed with your chassis no and ask for a copy of the "service installation instructions" As my copy only covers models upto 09/95 Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom