Howto: refurbish headlamps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parrot of Doom

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 R-reg W210 E300TD saloon
I spotted this on another forum and thought I'd give it a go. Heres the thread.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1305149-headlight-lens-restore.html

I'll not dwell on the words too much as the pictures are mostly self explanatory.

Tools required - 8mm socket (long), medium flat blade screwdriver, small flat blade screwdriver, 1200 grit wet & dry paper, 1500 grit w&d paper, 2000 grit w&d paper, Meguiars plastic scratch-x polish, and a work surface with some form of clamp.

The lenses on the headlamps are plastic, which scratches more easily than glass. Fortunately its less expensive and lighter, which is why it gets used. Over the course of 10 years my headlamps are badly pitted and marked, they don't look too pretty. So I thought I'd see if I could return them to their original condition.

The principle is quite easy. All you're doing is sanding out the imperfections. It just takes time and patience.

You can use this howto for any model, only the location of the bolts that hold the headlamp in, and the design of the headlamp assembly, will be different. The same principles apply to the lens, no matter what shape they are.

1) Removal

Lift the bonnet up. Pull the rubber trim away from the lamp, and you'll see 2 bolts, both 8mm. They hold the lower plastic trim on the car (note that facelifted W210's do not have this trim). One on the top, one on the side. Remove both.

lower%20trim%20bolt1.jpg

lower%20trim%20bolt.jpg

This allows the lower trim to fall away (it hinges on the wing side of the bodywork)

lower%20trim%20removal.jpg

There are 2 bolts remaning, these hold the headlamp in. One is located on the top of the assembly, towards the wing of the vehicle. The other is located on the bottom corner, diagonally opposite. Both are simple to remove.

Once these bolts are out, all that remains is to unplug the 2 electrical connectors on the back of the headlamp, and the vacuum connector that controls the height. Use the small flat blade screwdriver to remove the vacuum connector, and be careful - you don't want to break the plastic.

Once its out, you'll be looking at this:

rusty%20headlamp%20surround.jpg

naked%20car.jpg

If you've time, you can get a wire brush on that rust and paint over it with something like POR15. I'll be doing that in the summer I think. Its only surface rust here, nothing too bad.

2) Headlamp construction

Right, this is what you should have now:

rubber%20seal.jpg

Pull that rubber trim away. Its held on by small clips, its very easy to remove.

rubber%20seal%20removed.jpg

Now we have to separate the lenses from the main body of the headlamp. You can see in the picture above there are several large clips which serve to hold the thing together. Get your large flat blade screwdriver out, and carefully prise each clip apart. They're clever Mercedes, they've designed the clips to be in 2 stages - one stage is a light 'click' separation, the next stage is the final 'clack' that allows you to pull it apart. Its so that when putting it back together, you can line everything up without committing yourself to closing any of the clips again. Very neat bit of design I thought!

Once you've got those clips apart, this is what you should see:

reflector%20and%20lens.jpg

Theres a rubber seal that runs between the 2 halves. It seems to have worked perfectly on mine. The reflectors were absolutely spotless (apart from a tiny bit of dust). They're chrome coated plastic from the look of things, so will scratch easily. Best be careful.

indicator%20design.jpg

Theres the inside of the indicator part of the lens. Another nice bit of design, it allows the indicator to effectively be invisible when the main headlamps are in use.

3) Polishing

Put the lenses on your work surface. I used a black and decker bench, and clamped it into place with rubber plugs.

on%20bench.jpg

Wet down both the lens, and your paper.

wetting%20lens.jpg

Start with the 1200 paper, and keeping both surfaces wet, give it a good 10 minutes of sanding in a circular motion.

while%20sanding.jpg

The creamy scum you see is the thin layer of plastic that's being removed by the paper.

Once you're happy you've done enough, dry it off and this is what you should see:

1200%20on%20bench.jpg

Looks horrible doesn't it? Don't worry. Get the 1500 paper out, and repeat the above step.

1500%20on%20bench.jpg

Getting better, but still not there.

Now I've not been able to find any 2000 paper yet. I will do shortly, and I'll give it another go. If you don't have any 2000 paper, not to worry, just continue onto the next step:

Get your Meguiars polish out, dry the lens off, and give the lens a good polish. Say 10 minutes for good measure. I used kitchen roll for this although cotton cloth is probably better.

1500%20after%20polish%20on%20bench.jpg

Now I'd have to admit they look roughly the same. But heres what they look like under a flash:

1500%20after%20polish.jpg

Big difference! I'm going to continue tonight, I reckon another 20 minutes with the polish on my orbital sander will do the trick.

Re-assembly of the headlamps is the reverse of the above procedure. Make sure you wash all the surfaces that require sealing, and if you want to its worth lubricating the rubber parts with silicone spray.

Last edited:
I decided to bring in the big guns:

polisher.jpg

orbital%20sander.jpg

results%20after%20sander.jpg

Its actually very clean now. There are very tiny swirls on the plastic but thats not important. Running my finger along that lens now, its clear as day, and as smooth as a car thats just been clayed, vs a car that hasn't been washed in 6 months.

Highly recommended for older cars.

To be honest, if that was my car i wouldnt have bothered cleaning the lens i'de have focused a hell lot more on all that rust that was behind the headlamps, cant believe how bad it is, awful.:eek:

I'll be doing that in the summer. It won't take me more than a couple of hours to sort it out, its very light surface rust. Looks a lot worse than it is, believe me.

MB should be ashamed of themslves as that W210 is a complete rust bucket...:crazy:

Cleaning the headlamps should be the least of this guy's worries...!!! :eek:

lower%20trim%20removal.jpg

rusty%20headlamp%20surround.jpg

I think it is actually Parrots own car Flash ..... ;)

I think it is actually Parrots own car Flash ..... ;)

No offence Parrot but the rust on the car (which pretty much all W210's suffer from) is disgusting and MB should really be ashamed of themselves. Are you not going to submit a warranty claim for the rust/corrosion?

PS. My Sprinter was rust bucket too until MB sorted it out. My Dad’s former W220 was a complete rust bucket as well. W215 I currently have had it’s rust sorted out 6 months ago by MB by previous owner.

Pls don't take my comments in earlier post the wrong way and I did NOT know that was your own car. If I have offended you in anyway than I offer my sincere apology - I'm sorry. :eek:

Many thanks for that. My car is the same age as yours so could probably do with this sort of work to the lenses ;) and I think mine has more rust than yours!! :(

Out of curiosity how long did both lenses take to do and do you have a picture of them back in the car for comparison?

They're back in the car but its dark now. Theres definitely a difference though.

Probably took me about 3 hours in total, to do both lenses. I'll probably do the other side tomorrow.

With regard to the rust, no offence taken, but honestly its not a big problem. I know bad rust when I see it, and I'm not the slightest bit concerned about any of that. 10 minutes with a wire brush and 5 minutes with a tin of POR15 and it'll be history. The car has bits of rust here and there but its certainly not a rust bucket :p

Thinking about this, I have to add something.

The car has been in for rust work at some point in its life, its clearly been resprayed on the doors and wings, and boot judging by the poor alignment of the badges.

One thing I noticed a few months after I bought it was that whoever had put it back together did not know how to reconnect the lights. They left the vacuum pipes disconnected, it took me a while to find that as the lights wouldn't move up and down.

Another bit they missed was the rubber seal that goes horizontally underneath the bottom silver trim, under the headlamps. That means that while driving, rain and spray would easily get underneath and behind the headlamps. Now I only discovered this after doing the lights.

I reckon thats why that rust is like it is. The rest of the engine bay is spotless tbh. Theres bits of rust here and there, but mostly on bolts and exposed metal brackets, unimportant things. The rust in that picture is about the worst of it, and even then its only surface rust. The metal is still in very good condition.

I just had to say that to defend the car a bit :) I've driven Volvos, Audis, Vauxhalls - this is by far the best built car I've ever owned. Every tiny element has excellent design and forethought.

Are you goign to re-spray the off side front wing again as that has surface rust on the outside...?

Yes, both wings need respraying, the offside has a fair bit between the headlights and the wheelarch.

I'll probably get it done this summer.

Theres some rust under the rear wheelarches, tbh I'm minded to scrub it off inside and out, and do it myself rather than pay someone to do it for me. Its only on the folded bit that faces the tyre so it doesn't have to be an amazing job :)

i just have had my radiator/viscous/thermostat/waterpump replaced and had a quick look behind my headlights.....and they are exactly the same with rust. I got this car just before xmas and already ive had it in the shop to have rust taken off the rear hatch door and to fix a bloody huge hole that has appeared over the wheel arch. I dont expect this from a car that has less than 80,000 miles on it with a full mercedes benz history! Even japanese cars dont suffer this rot. This is my fourth benz and i really dont feel overly encouraged to pursue brand loyalty at this moment in time. (other thatn rust i have to admit i still love the car though!)

Also if you were to remove the interior boot lining panels on the rear 3/4 panels of the car (ie. where battery is located) you will find that they too are probably suffering from rust/corrosion and rotting away.

Well the rust behind the headlamps is a very very simple fix as far as I'm concerned. I'll just put the wire brush on my drill, take all the rust off, and paint it with POR15. End of problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom