HOWTO: Retrofit facelift wheel/cluster to pre-facelift W210/W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the info, SilverSaloon. What model year was the car you did this swapping on? And it was a W210 or is it one of the W124's I see in your signature?

The only reason I'm not trying to do the entire change is that I don't think my car is wired for an interior canbus (I've read that they started wiring cars for canbus in February 1997 and my car was built in January). Hopefully, the swapping that you did and your results will also be what I find happens in my car as well. Many thanks!

Hi Guys, need some help with Instrument Cluster.

I had a few fused lamps in my cluster, which i changed. everything went perfect until i started the car.
Malfunction: Display Defective Visit Workshop!

step by step:
1. No key in ignition.
2. pulled out the IC.
3. disconnected the wire harness.
4. replaced the fused bulbs with new ones.
5. connected the wire harness.
6. placed the IC back in.
7. ignition on, started the car... PIIIIP,PIIIIP
8. MALFUCTIONS !!!! :doh:
9. Nothing on my IC is working (clock started from 12:00 dosent show the gear, middle display shows the Malfunction msg ONLY, Temperature is stuck on -38, all the needles point down)

have tried:
*disconnecting the battery for 10min (no luck)
*did a ECU hard reset (no luck)
*went to a workshop to remove Malfunctions by an OBD thing. his computer said "Unidentified Electrical Error" (no luck) :(

he recommended to take it to someone who repairs IC's or to Mercedes (and both are pretty expensive here in Sweden) :wallbash:

any ideas how i can fix the problem?:dk:

Car spec:
CLK 230 kompressor (German import)
manufacturing year 1999
model year 2000 (mid-facelift model)

I think your problem there was disconnecting the wire harness.

I've done is a few times without the disconnect and no problems. I don't think it likes being disconnected - I've had problems every time the battery has been disconnected.

When I've changed dash bulbs -
Leave battery connected (it is not an air bag job)
No key in ignition
Lights off
Pull the dash
Change the bulbs - there is enough wiggle room to do this with the harness connected.
replace etc.

I did get a Display Defective once - it was a faulty connection to the display, I had dislodged it. Pull it out and try reconnecting the thing, then do a reset.

Hello!
Please help me to solve my problems :(

Will buttons on airbag work if I connect only instrumental cluster's 14,15,18 pins to airbag's 1,2,3? and need I reprogramm with STAR just to enable L/Km indication?
I have tried, but no results. I have tried to reprogram with STAR tank, engine type and CAD ID (310, 312) but also it does not work.

Thank you!
Mercedes W210, E320, 1998.

Anybody knows how to make this upgrade? Please help me.

I was considering retrofitting a multifunction steering wheel in my 98 E430 Mercedes. I was wondering if I could use my existing instrument cluster and just upgrade the wiring, airbag, and steering wheel because I talked with my local dealer and they are not willing to reprogram a new instrument cluster. If this is not possible, do you have any ideas or recommendation so I can make this retrofit? Thank you in advance for your support.

Hi...
I wonder if this thread still active...
I want to swap my W124 steering wheel (facelift with airbag) with W208 CLK multi function steering wheel.

I know I may not be able to use all buttons,but at least am after horn and airbag,maybe later I would go for audio functions(mute,volume up and volume down if possible).

I noticed that the horn wires in the W124 steering wheel are connected to the steering while in the W208 didn't find horn connectors,only the airbag connector (in yellow) and another black connector ,both connected to the back of the airbag.
Don't know what to do!!!
First,is it possible to change W124 facelift (1995) with W208 multi function steering wheel?
if yes,how to find the horn connectors?
thanks

Yellow 5 pin connector

Very good article and well written, I have one question, has anyone found the part number for the yellow SRS connector?
My local dealer won't "help me destroy my car" so I have to call a dealer 85 miles away and they can't seem to find it through their online catalog. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yellow 5pin - А0015450173.
Tomorrow i try retrofit cluster and multi wheel on my W208.

I'm having some difficulties in getting my horn to work. I bought a whole car for parts and it's a facelift 2001 and my car is 1997. I don''t wish to change the IC and get the steering wheel buttons to work I just want to fix the horn issue.

If anyone can help?
Thanks

Great instructions I have fitted the clocks and steering wheel from a 2002 clk to my 1998 convertible a few weeks ago and it all works great.
Yesterday I managed to pick up a command 2.0 on ebay but I'm having trouble getting the volume buttons and audio display to work.
Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?
Thanks

Привет .Очень хорошая статья от SilverSaloon по замене панели приборов и рулевого колеса.Вопрос .Могу я поменять всё это на мерседес 210 1995 года выпуска?

M or N CONNECTOR

sfrc.jpg
wHAT DIFFERENCE between M connector or N connector and other connection ?

on horn, for example, there is a thread inserted into a connector inserted into the connector cluster after
and somewhere else, the thread is directly inserted into the connector cluster

I don't understand !:ban:
is it an interface ?

i must be stupid man
Philip

OK I UNDERSTOOD
the connector was disconnected on the photography!!:D

hello !

excuse me for my poor english, i'm french man !

i try to retrofit a w210 -w208 (my car : clk year 1999) but i have severals difficulty
i hope that someone will be able to help me !

i have severals questions for the job :

- on my cluster 208 540 29 11 i haven't M1 connector FOR CAN BUS
Is it necessary to fit this connector for efficient wheel ?
If yes, what are the C2 pin8 and C2 pin 9 TO CONNECT the can low et can high ?
Perhaps this it the SAM....

- I don't understand for the horn connector

i have fitted a wire to cluster - pin N1
AND THE return is my brown/black pin 2 on the old connector yellow 4 pins
is it great ?? please

BECAUSE on my car it is different color.... no yellow/black wire !

please help me !!

philip from France

I have fitted all wires in the right place but doesnt work even the horn.
My car is a w210 e220 CDI 1998.
I dont have outer part on the airbag ring, may this be the problem? What is the white connector from blinker assy for?
Thanks!

Hello there are no canbus wires you have purchase the wiring loom which goes from the comand to the instrument cluster. I did this mod on my car a long time ago.

hELLO amg36

Thank you for this answer !!:bannana:

I haven't a comand but an pioneer AVH 3700 BHS 2016

and i have an instrument cluster of year 1999 as the picture
1495441959-mon-compteur.png

i hope that it is not a problem to fit this steering

i would like at minimum the horn whose is efficient in my car with this steering

i hope that you can help me again

greats regards
Phili

You would need to change the steering wheel with the buttons. You would also have to change the clock spring and you would also need to change the instrument cluster for your buttons to work on the steering. You would need to buy a mercedes w208 wiring loom for the pioneer which connects to the back of the instrument cluster and will go to the back of your pioneer unit for the buttons to work on your steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom