HOWTO: w202 facelift door courtesy lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Still looking for the OEM wiring for these - if anyone out there has 2 sets to spare please PM me, thanks :).

Hi,
I have found them and had them in the boot of my car at Ollys meet on Saturday i though you were attending.

I also have a few spare ones with the light connectors crimped on one side, will just need the push pin connectors to be crimped on the other side.

Hi,
Mine are still intergrated in the plug of the door control unit, and would just need removing from the plug, no looked as yet to see how this is achieved "but" should be quite simple.

Hi,
Mine are still intergrated in the plug of the door control unit, and would just need removing from the plug, no looked as yet to see how this is achieved "but" should be quite simple.

I believe you need a special pin extractor for that.

Andy/gurpz - thanks, if you both mean you have the wiring, with the lighting terminals fitted on one end but without the bushings on the door control end, then no problem, as I believe the bushings are still available from dealers....I can practice my crimping with them :bannana:.

Hopefully we can sort something out, I will PM you.

Finally I now have front puddle lights :bannana:. Many thanks to gurpz for providing the (unavailable) wiring looms and to andy27168 for his advice.

DSCF0021 (Large).JPG

DSCF0022 (Large).JPG

DSCF0023 (Large).JPG

Where are puddles when you need them....?

For anyone thinking of removing their facelift W202 door cards, if you have never done so before, be very careful when removing the inner door handle to get to the two screws that need to be taken out, as described in Shude's related HOWTO - there are two long plastic prongs fixed to the back of the handle, that push into the holes over the screws and it is VERY easy to break these off when removing the handle. Despite being extremely careful, I snapped 3 out of 4 :wallbash:. Superglue has more or less sorted it, but they are not on quite as tight as they were before.

Nice one mate glad to hear it all worked out in the end :thumb:

Finally I now have front puddle lights :bannana:. Many thanks to gurpz for providing the (unavailable) wiring looms and to andy27168 for his advice.

View attachment 19130

View attachment 19131

View attachment 19132

Where are puddles when you need them....?

For anyone thinking of removing their facelift W202 door cards, if you have never done so before, be very careful when removing the inner door handle to get to the two screws that need to be taken out, as described in Shude's related HOWTO - there are two long plastic prongs fixed to the back of the handle, that push into the holes over the screws and it is VERY easy to break these off when removing the handle. Despite being extremely careful, I snapped 3 out of 4 :wallbash:. Superglue has more or less sorted it, but they are not on quite as tight as they were before.

Hi,
I have done exactly the same, i broke two of the front ones on the new Designo interior, and one on Bobbies 43 when i wired up and fitted his folding/blinking 210 mirrors.
I believe these handle covers are available from MB though i have never bought any.
Glad you finally sorted out your puddle lights, whats the next mod you have in mind? dimming glass in the drivers door mirror? (as you have auto dimming RVM) folding mirrors?

Mine is a 1998 C240 elegance and doesnt have puddle lights, illuminated vanity mirrors, dimming mirror, folding mirrors etc etc - original owner must have been a real cheap skate !!!!!:crazy:

Right must make up a parts list and find and print all the how to's !!!!

Great thread !!!

Chris

Ps anyone got any of these parts lying around ?????:thumb:

Hi,
I have done exactly the same, i broke two of the front ones on the new Designo interior, and one on Bobbies 43 when i wired up and fitted his folding/blinking 210 mirrors.
I believe these handle covers are available from MB though i have never bought any.
Glad you finally sorted out your puddle lights, whats the next mod you have in mind? dimming glass in the drivers door mirror? (as you have auto dimming RVM) folding mirrors?

Hi Andy, glad I'm not alone in wrecking the handle covers, the fittings don't seem the best example of MB design. While I would love a dimming (& folding & blinking) door mirror/s, I'm not sure I want to commit the time and expense required - next job is replacing my rusty bonnet (have sourced one already).

Mine is a 1998 C240 elegance and doesnt have puddle lights, illuminated vanity mirrors, dimming mirror, folding mirrors etc etc - original owner must have been a real cheap skate !!!!!:crazy:

Right must make up a parts list and find and print all the how to's !!!!

Ps anyone got any of these parts lying around ?????:thumb:

Chris, mine didn't come with any of these options either, it was only the inspiration from this forum that got me thinking about them. I was lucky enough to be offered a bargain dimming RVM by Olly (PCS), who also fitted it for me - they sometimes come up on eBay and in the Classified on this forum (I think gurpz sold one recently), so keep a look out. The puddle light parts that are still available are cheap to buy from an MB dealership and you might want to see if andy27168 still has the wiring looms available.
Good luck if you do decide to attempt any of them.
Andrew

Are there part numbers for the lights themselves? Or are these obsolete too?

Yes, you can still buy the lights & bulbs from a dealership :). In March they were priced at £2.75 each for the lamp fitting and £1.60 each for the bulb (+VAT). As per post #1 of this thread.........

You will need to buy:

A 008 545 55 26 : contact bushing : x4 (I recommend doubling this because you will mess them up or lose them, trust me
wink.gif
)
A 202 540 69 08 : cable harness : x2
A 126 820 13 01 : interior lamp : x2
N 072601 012130 : bulb : x2

Mine was the same, though they look like they dissappear back into the car, follow the loom carefully from the door control unit, the puddle light loom should be taped into the door loom just as it turns down towards the door transition point, they are well taped in and very easily missed, I have done this mod now on 3 facelift cars and this has been the case on all of them. If those terminals on the door control unit have cables to them and those cables are in the door looms you have puddle light looms fitted.

Excellent info. Opened door card today, broke the door handle clip as I couldnt prise the handle off without brute force, but found that I already had the wiring in place and found the loom taped up and ready to go.

Ordering the lights and bulbs tommorrow, oh and some superglue :doh:

Excellent info. Opened door card today, broke the door handle clip as I couldnt prise the handle off without brute force, but found that I already had the wiring in place and found the loom taped up and ready to go.

Ordering the lights and bulbs tommorrow, oh and some superglue :doh:

Hi,
If your car is a preface lift it might have the looms in the door but this doesn,t mean you will have the loom car side, as my C230K doesn,t if your car is the facelift version (funny electronic key, and radio aeriel in the rear window easiest wat to identify facelift from prefacelift) you courtesy lights will work just by adding the light fitting and lamp.

hbhudia's car is a facelift so should be a plug and play job :thumb:

hbhudia's car is a facelift so should be a plug and play job :thumb:

Thats good then, I thought it might of been plug and play on my pre-facelift C230K as it had the door loom fitted but was surprised to see no cable fitted from the door transition plug into the car.

yeap, all done today and was relly simple. Will have to wait will later to see it though as its chucking it down now!!

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks anyway! Followed your instructions and now have working puddle lights!
Couldn't get the looms anymore but I made my own, using the MB Pins, and some Halfords HEF126 Spade Connectors :)

Entire mod cost me less than a tenner!!

Apologies for not keeping on top of this HOWTO, as it was my baby.

The wiring looms are NLA but I am assured that another model has something similar which could be used as a replacement. The lamps themselves are a universal item so the looms should be pretty standard! I will scour the EPC for answers and report back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom