Howto: W203 coupe puddle lights and door card removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim_bob567

Car
C220 cdi coupe
This is a very easy job, could be done within an hour or so...
I always wanted these on my car and couldn't understand why mercedes never put them on the coupe, yet are standard on saloon models, because the car comes with the same door control unit as the saloon all the wiring points are already there!:dk:

What you will need...
  • set of torx screw drivers
  • X2 puddle lights and wiring harness
  • Drill
  • stanley knife
  • small hacksaw :eek:
1.) I found these lights off an E class that was a write off at my local scrapyard, you could in theory use any form of door lights from any car because you don't really see the unit itself, just the light it gives off...

IMAG0406.jpg

2.) You need to remove the door card, a lot easier than you might think, it's held on with 3x torx screws, one small and two larger screws, the arrows in the picture show where these are located...

IMAG0407.jpg

3.) remove the SRS badge (don't worry there's no air bag gonna shoot out at you) the screw is located behind here. It is recommended that you unplug the cars battery to avoid deployment of the airbag, however I didn't and never had any problems because the airbag unit is not attached to the door card anyway...

IMAG0408.jpg

4.) The next screw is located beneath the door handle (which you use to pull the door shut) pop the cover off, it's behind there.
IMAG0410.jpg

5.) The final screw is located on the locking device on the outside edge of the door, this is the smaller one of the three.

IMAG0411.jpg

6.) You may wish to remove the tweeter speaker, I don't think this is entirely necessary but it allows for more flexibility when popping off the door card, It's retained with clips, be careful when removing it just requires a little manipulation but comes off quite easily...

IMAG0412.jpg

7.) Next you need to start removing the door card by sliding a screwdriver down the back and popping out the push pins, sounds like you may be damaging them but trust me they go back in just as easily, you need to go all the way round the door card levering out the pins, I think there must be about 10 pins in total.

IMAG0413.jpg

8.) When the pins are all popped out, the card will be held in place by some wires, and the door handle cable.. they will need to be removed...

IMAG0414.jpg

9.) Unhook the door handle cable (do remember to put it back on afterwards though, I didn't and it's a pain when you have to take the door card off again to put the cable back in place!)

IMAG0416.jpg

10.) The window switch needs to be removed also, this is released by sliding the white clip upwards, then it just falls out.

IMAG0418.jpg

11.) Voila, door card is removed. Now you can take it inside and have a nice cup of tea before installing the light unit...

IMAG0419.jpg

12.) Mark out on the door card where the light needs to be positioned, this has to be near the rear speaker cover on the coupe, because otherwise the light will be in the door pocket, theres about 15 - 20cm of space back there so you can decide where you want to put it...

IMAG0420.jpg

13.) Now comes the most nerve wracking part, taking a stanley knife to the car! It is hard work and you may need to use the small hacksaw blade, a sharp blade is what I would use though, because it gives a better finish than the hacksaw.

IMAG0421.jpg

14.) Dont worry if the hole looks a bit messy, as long as the light fits snugly, you wont notice because the light unit will overlap the edges anyway...

IMAG0422.jpg

15.) Check the light fits properly.

IMAG0425.jpg

16.) You will need to drill a hole for the wires to come through on the back of the door card.

IMAG0427.jpg

17.) Fit the light unit and pull the wires through the drill hole... already it looks factory fitted!

IMAG0430.jpg

18.) Tape the wires in place, this will stop them rattling around or getting in the way when you put the door card back on.

IMAG0431.jpg

19.) Back outside now, locate the door control unit, you need to find the main power clip, you can't miss it, it's the black one with the thickest brown and red wires poking out of it.

IMAG0432.jpg

20.) the door light should be connected using pins 2 and 3, you could buy a proper wiring loom, however I just poked the wires in the back and clipped it back in place, as long as there's no crossed wires, the connection is strong and the clip holds them in place very well.

IMAG0435.jpg

21.) As it will most likely be daylight when you do this, you will have to cover the light sensor on the windscreen to make the interior lights work.

IMAG0438.jpg

22.) check all is working, it is also possible to switch these lights on and off using the main switch on the light cluster in the car.

IMAG0437.jpg

23.) Now refit the door card reversing the steps from point 11.) (remember to reconnect the door handle cable!) the push pins just require a hearty slap to get them to clip back together... As soon as you're finished stand back and enjoy, maybe go and have another cup of tea to reward your efforts, works wonders at night and looks completly factory fitted, You'll never stand in dog sh!t again! Thanks for reading. :thumb:

IMAG0439.jpg

Proper modding! :D

The lamps are pennies from the MB parts counter IIRC so if anyone is collecting parts for this mod and struggling don't worry about having to trawl the breakers.

Always, always get a price from dealers first. If only to have a baseline to compare against. Quite often you will be surprised how cheap they can be!!

Always, always get a price from dealers first. If only to have a baseline to compare against. Quite often you will be surprised how cheap they can be!!

To be honest it was a spur of the moment at the breakers, saw the old E class and I've always wanted the puddle lights so I took the opportunity, plus the MB dealers is the other side of Derby!

WOW,Don't happen to have pt no's by any chance.

Just had a look at mine and discovered little square holes are all ready there under the cloth. :)

WOW,Don't happen to have pt no's by any chance.

Just had a look at mine and discovered little square holes are all ready there under the cloth. :)

Sorry mate, unsure of part numbers.. I'm sure somebody might be able to help though....:dk:

My new lights gave just arrived from MB Exeter part number is A203 820 08 01, they cost £2.85 each & come comeplete with 5w capless bulb.

1 small thing to note, the parts man also sold me 2 bulbs ( maybe he didn't realise the lights come complete with bulb) hence my original post quoted a tenner being the cost.

Now to fit using the guide

Dave

Help wiring problem

My new lights gave just arrived from MB Exeter part number is A203 820 08 01, they cost £2.85 each & come comeplete with 5w capless bulb.

1 small thing to note, the parts man also sold me 2 bulbs ( maybe he didn't realise the lights come complete with bulb) hence my original post quoted a tenner being the cost.

Now to fit using the guide

Dave

I did the job this morning & found most of it very easy, Wired in the new light & covered the light snsor & on came the light wonderfull; pulled out the wires & fitted the lamp into the door card & wired it up again & then nothing happened, I've still got power to the socker in the picture but nothing going to the bulb.

I'v e checked the bulb which is ok & most of the fuses, any one got any idea???

Please

I'v e checked the bulb which is ok & most of the fuses, any one got any idea???

Please

You may have some crossed wires which are shorting the circuit so double check all wires, then again if there's power to the lamp holder the chances are this is not the problem... you seem to have checked the obvious already! One other thing it might be is that if you switch off the interior lights by the overhead switch the door lights don't function either, this also applies if interior lights are switched on manually, the switch must be in the "door open" position, and it must be dark on the sensor, if the interior lights are on then the door lights should be working... Sorry I cant be of more help, mine seemed to work straight away! Keep us posted dave!

Cheers Jim,

There's power at the end of the two thick wires, brown & red & brown I think, I wonder if when after testing I shorted something pulling the wires out, reading elsewhere I may have blown something in the interior light dome that controls the puddle lights. Having siad that the main interior & reading lights work as they should. I've made an off to a seller /breaker on e bay for a replacement interior light dome, if he accepts it's worth a go, I can always sell it on again if it doesn't solve my problem.

Dave

You may have some crossed wires which are shorting the circuit so double check all wires, then again if there's power to the lamp holder the chances are this is not the problem... you seem to have checked the obvious already! One other thing it might be is that if you switch off the interior lights by the overhead switch the door lights don't function either, this also applies if interior lights are switched on manually, the switch must be in the "door open" position, and it must be dark on the sensor, if the interior lights are on then the door lights should be working... Sorry I cant be of more help, mine seemed to work straight away! Keep us posted dave!

Cheers Jim,

There's power at the end of the two thick wires, brown & red & brown I think, I wonder if when after testing I shorted something pulling the wires out, reading elsewhere I may have blown something in the interior light dome that controls the puddle lights. Having siad that the main interior & reading lights work as they should. I've made an off to a seller /breaker on e bay for a replacement interior light dome, if he accepts it's worth a go, I can always sell it on again if it doesn't solve my problem.

Dave

Sounds like a plan, Is it the same on both sides? Are you really sure it's not the puddle light unit i.e bulbs/holder or something? Like I said before, mine seemed to work straight away so I'm not much help to you...

Sounds like a plan, Is it the same on both sides? Are you really sure it's not the puddle light unit i.e bulbs/holder or something? Like I said before, mine seemed to work straight away so I'm not much help to you...

Thanks Jim Bob, No mine worked first off then stopped afterI pulled the wires out of the clip /socket I'm sure that I must have shorted out a thread of the copper wire. I've only down the passenger side at the moment.

Are you able to send pm's yet ? If not send me an e mail to [email protected] & we've have a chat about other lights I've fitted to upgrade

Dave

Hi dave, As a New Member I can't PM yet! Email is [email protected] I've attempted fitting aftermarket Xenons to the car but I was faced with CAN-BUS problems (i.e flickering, warning messages) so I had to remove them! Shame because getting the front bumper off was a right hassle... Next mod is the AUX INPUT for the stereo, really easy to do as well, Is yours an 06 or newer? If it is let me know and if you're interested i'll let you into the secret... How are the puddle lights going BTW? James.

Hi dave, As a New Member I can't PM yet! Email is [email protected] I've attempted fitting aftermarket Xenons to the car but I was faced with CAN-BUS problems (i.e flickering, warning messages) so I had to remove them! Shame because getting the front bumper off was a right hassle... Next mod is the AUX INPUT for the stereo, really easy to do as well, Is yours an 06 or newer? If it is let me know and if you're interested i'll let you into the secret... How are the puddle lights going BTW? James.

Hi James, I have a 2007 and have been moaning about the rubbish on the radio for some time, and carrying CDs around is so '90s.
Let me into your secret, re: AUX input ! :thumb:
Thanks

Hi James, I have a 2007 and have been moaning about the rubbish on the radio for some time, and carrying CDs around is so '90s.
Let me into your secret, re: AUX input ! :thumb:
Thanks

The 'secret' is not really much of a secret, basically for some reason Mercedes decided to put part of the wiring in place for the AUX INPUT but not finish the job, therefore it's really easy to do and you don't have to pull the dashboard or stereo to bits to do it, the wiring is located in the passender footwell under the carpet on the glovebox side. Press the CDC button for a few seconds and if it displays AUX INPUT ACTIVE the chances are your car is 'pre wired' so to speak...

heres a couple of links to get you going

iPod Aux Cable install for 2005 C230k - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

and the part you need:

Comand Online Ltd :: Search results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom