HOWTO: W211 (E-class) Ski Hatch retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Mods - please move to HOWTO section

Once again, Mr. Walker of 124Works helped by doing the actual cutting! (met James Fearn too - nice bloke!) I would not be surprised it this worked for W203 too

This was a whole lot easier than I anticipated. Hope it helps someone out there - was nice to give back for a change!

1) View from the back before

SkiHatch1.jpg

2) View from inside before with armrest lowered

SkiHatch2.jpg

3) Remove plastic cover in the 'well' revealed when armrest lowered. Pull away from top then up and it should slide out. Pretty snug fit. Reveals some insulation behind and a wire which needs tucking up out of the way.

SkiHatch3.jpg

4) The insulation is a fitted piece so it does not need cutting, but just pulling down to expose the bulkhead. Have an accomplice (thanks Chris!)press the seatback cover from the boot so you can make marks through the top slots to guide cutting later

SkiHatch4.jpg

5) View from back with seatback cover removed. It just pulls up and slides out - no fasteners. I measured 9" down from the marks. Could probably go a little more but that was enough for my requirements - it is only a very occasional need.

SkiHatch5.jpg

6) Take one shorta**e MB mechanic and place in boot with angle grinder!

SkiHatch6.jpg

7) View from inside with aluminium (Mr. Walker was disgusted that it was not steel!) piece removed

SkiHatch7.jpg

8) View from rear with aluminium piece removed

SkiHatch8.jpg

9) I cut through the seatback cover so the flap would hinge down. Just used a bit of velcro at the moment to hold it closed (although it is rigid enough to hold there itself) Will make a neater job when I have some time.

As always, huge thanks to Ian! (and Chris for the brew....)

You could take some rubber /Plastic pipe and cut it lengthways and open the cut and push over the metal edge and glue it around the hole, that would finish it off

Well done though,, you could also store your crutches there when you break a leg skiing :):)

Well done though,, you could also store your crutches there when you break a leg skiing :):)
Your limbs don't break when you ski, they shatter! I was skiing in Courchevel last month and there was a shop around the corner from our chalet that sold neck braces, crutches, walking frames and all kinds of stuff you hope you won't need during your holiday, or indeed EVER!

I will tidy this thread up and put it into the HOWTO section in a bit.

Your limbs don't break when you ski, they shatter! I was skiing in Courchevel last month and there was a shop around the corner from our chalet that sold neck braces, crutches, walking frames and all kinds of stuff you hope you won't need during your holiday, or indeed EVER!

I will tidy this thread up and put it into the HOWTO section in a bit.

Do take a look at 230K's post on changing springs on a 210 very good and clear and excellent pic

when you finishing it off with the wee door or the ski bag?

Last edited:
when you finishing it off with the wee door or the ski bag?

To be honest, probably not going to. Will never be used for ski stuff (was done to accomodate a young friends fishing rods!)

Will take up Malcolms idea to tidy the edges and conceal the 'hatch' at the back. The inside is covered nicely with the original plastic cover anyway

Let me find the part number of the official stuff Mercedes to clip over sharp edges. Its cheap and safe !

Will post it later

Richard

Let me find the part number of the official stuff Mercedes to clip over sharp edges. Its cheap and safe !

Its A002 987 35 72

Its ordered by the meter I think (although the packet I have had 2M in it, so maybee that part number gets you 2M of it)

MB RRP £7.29 inv VAT and the parts desciption is 'edge guard section' or 'kantenschutz'

Richard

Ive been thinking of doing this to my W202 to increase the bass inside the car from my barry twin subs :D

Im sure I remember reading that its not a good idea on a W202 as it may effect the chassis rigidity or is this rubbish?

Nice one Gollom, do keep us posted with the fineshing.

Ive been thinking of doing this to my W202 to increase the bass inside the car from my barry twin subs :D

Im sure I remember reading that its not a good idea on a W202 as it may effect the chassis rigidity or is this rubbish?

Koolvin did this mod and at the same time sound proofed the boot lid and around ski hole area with dynamat to improve the bass even further.

Not sure if it effects chasis rigidity although I wouldnt think so if it was a factory fitted available option.

Not sure if it effects chasis rigidity although I wouldnt think so if it was a factory fitted available option.

I remember reading that when its an option, there is stuctural renforcement to compensated.

Why it wasnt standard tsk!

I think I will have a go with a hacksaw or 3 :D

Just a note. Removing the rear seat only takes an extra 5 minutes and some hand tools. Unclip the bottom bench and loosen the exposed bolts. Backrest slides up and releases.

Be sure to note the torque settings when installing.

If the hole is left open and exposed it affects
- noise levels
- air flow (heating in extreme cold, cooling in extreme heat)

Aluminium is used because the component needs to be light. This metal panel is actually absent in W211 with folding rear seats. In those cars with folding rear seats there is a special reinforcement added to the car.

Last edited:

Will post it later

Richard

Please do.

It's not so much a ski-hatch HOWTO as it stands, more I cut a hole in my car.

Just turn them to face the rear of the car, you should get ample. With my sub in this position, the ski hatch open or closed made little difference. The downside is your boot becomes fairly useless for anything else.

Please do.

It's not so much a ski-hatch HOWTO as it stands, more I cut a hole in my car.

You have such a way with words Graham ;) :rolleyes: Was wondering why this had not found it's way to the HOWTO section

Will take another pic once I have put the edge protectors in place :D

You have such a way with words Graham ;) :rolleyes: Was wondering why this had not found it's way to the HOWTO section

Will take another pic once I have put the edge protectors in place :D
I don't know about anyone else, but to me it looks like your carrying ski's??:devil: :D :D
SkiHatch6.jpg

ROFL

Nope - more like a dead weight..... :devil:
Eddie the Eagle yesterday, Walker the Wonderman today (couldn't think of anything else that rhymed with Walker :devil: :D

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom