HP ceases WebOS and considers spin-off of PSG division

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
Although WebOS was / is a fantastic mobile OS, I wasn't expecting to hear this news.

As an owner of Pre phones and having recently trialed the TouchPad this is sad to hear.

Reflecting on it I can see that they must have had major issues with getting the product (Pre / Veer Phones & the new Touchpad) to market. I had heared a rumour yesterday that BestBuy in the US weren't happy with sales of the new TouchPad (they had ordered 250,000 and apparently had only sold 25,000 since the mid July launch). However, they clearly state WebOS isn't dead, they're working out how to maximise the value of it (after buying Palm for $1.2bn last year)

There is also talk that the Personal Systems Group (PC's, Laptop's etc may become a separate company)

H-P cuts outlook, eyes PC spinoff, dumps webOS - MarketWatch

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. BBC News yesterday suggested that hardware's going too: BBC News - Hewlett-Packard to exit computing and buy Autonomy

Yes, that's true and alongwith the Autonomy acquisition (at $10bn) the bigger news.

As you mentioned, there is a strong possibility that they will spin-off the Personal Systems Group (Laptops / Desktops & Tablets) into a separate company (or even possibly sell it). The Enterprise Systems Division (Servers & Storage is not effected).

This process may take 12-18 months to conclude the correct route forward. Many analysts are saying that what the current CEO (ex SAP) is doing is imitating what IBM did about 10 years ago when they divested their PC/laptop business to Lenovo.

So you had your crystal ball?

As a fan of WebOS it's a shame, but HP just didn't have what it took to make it stick.

I can't believe that they 'launched' the Pre3 on Wed 17th August in the UK. I was just about to buy one for £299 but something told me not to. Next day this announcement!

Think I'll wait and see what happens next. As for the next phone, I don't really want to follow the herd and get an iPhone, I don't like Android (have one as a work phone).

Hmmm...

^ I still have the option or at least at 2pm I did of the 32gb for £135 from a suppllier.

Is it worth a punt or whait for what I would like the iPad :)

^ I still have the option or at least at 2pm I did of the 32gb for £135 from a suppllier.

Is it worth a punt or whait for what I would like the iPad :)

I would have gone for it, and at that kind of price it's not bad (although the 32GB versions dropped to about £115). I guess it depends upon what you want it for...

A friend of mine picked one up but I've not had any luck getting one (yet) at the reduced prices. Looks like they've almost all gone, some retailers (Argos & Tesco) haven't cut their prices yet but people are still buying / reserving them with a view to cancel / return if they can't claim back the difference!

If you can get them - do and sell it on Ebay if you don't want it - going for +£50

HP are also getting their leg out of the desktop and laptop market. Back to buying compaqs methinks :D

I was thinking I'd get one or two when the prices tumbled. I wasn't expecting it to all happen so quickly.

Currys are still selling HP touchpad travel chargers on their web site ... now half price £9.99 post free.

It's a USB travel charger with adjustable pins for UK, US, EU sockets, so it should work fine with iPad, Kindle, Samsung tab, etc, etc, etc. Might be handy for travel?

Anyone come across replenished CHEAP stock of Touchpads?

Anyone come across replenished CHEAP stock of Touchpads?

Still not yet for me. I know a couple of people that managed to secure a couple for themselves, I even got my suppliers to keep a look out.

More stock is suppposed to be released, there was even talk about the White 64GB model coming out. Apparently there will be some devices available for purchase to HP employees on 28th Sept but it's only 1 per person 1st come first served...

Cheap touchpads will be available to hp employees- The Inquirer

Anyone else with any leads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom