Hpi check from dealer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
So just picked up my a35 premium from a Jct600 dealer. For the most part the cars fine, a few stone chips on the front and some curbing on one wheel.. they weren’t interested in rectifying this..

My main concern is, as with most dealers they’re helpful up until they have your money.
Usually I always buy private and hpi check the car, being a dealer I didn’t hpi check this car. I’ve asked for a copy for a hpi report showing the car clear of finance and I’m still waiting.. should this be something to be worried about - eg the car still has finance one it ? ( I paid cash ) once the V5 comes back I’ll do my own hpi check if they still haven’t given me one..

In regards to the stone chips and wheel curbing. They offered me £50 good Will for the alloy wheel, stone chips I haven’t mentioned since they were so unhelpful in the first place. Front tyres are approx 60/70% worn too.

Last edited:
With regards the HPI report i wouldn't worry about it it will be clear if it wasn't mentioned before purchase.

I've never done it so its a bit rich coming from me but I'm sure you can do your own HPI check without the V5? The guy I sold my car to last year did a HPI check on it and he didn't have the V5 yet

Also regards to the condition of the car, if you didn't view this in person and was an online sale, you should have a 'cooling off' period if you have changed your mind

You only need the reg to do your own HPI check

Yep it was online sale. Car was transported circa 100 miles to an airport and I’ve done around 500 miles since to drive home. If I reject, would I be liable for the charges

Last edited:
A basic check is £3 from your phone, lost, stolen, finance. It might show up as financed under the dealers floor plan scheme (a revolving credit line for the dealer to fund his stock) but that should disappear in a weeks time.

A basic check is £3 from your phone, lost, stolen, finance. It might show up as financed under the dealers floor plan scheme (a revolving credit line for the dealer to fund his stock) but that should disappear in a weeks time.
Exactly this.

I always use AA HPI checks though that might be more like £6 one off I think.

HPI checks are useless, I have been following this guy through development of his company and the things he has found with HPI clear cars has been shocking.
He has found cars that were so badly smashed you couldnt tell what it was, and mileage reports rolled back 100k but they were HPI clear report cars on sale.

That's been happening for years nothing new there, it's just another tick in the box that's why I view, most body shops or similar will change panels etc but most dont paint the bolts ,a spanner leaves a mark you can usually tell

So just picked up my a35 premium from a Jct600 dealer. For the most part the cars fine, a few stone chips on the front and some curbing on one wheel.. they weren’t interested in rectifying this..

My main concern is, as with most dealers they’re helpful up until they have your money.
Usually I always buy private and hpi check the car, being a dealer I didn’t hpi check this car. I’ve asked for a copy for a hpi report showing the car clear of finance and I’m still waiting.. should this be something to be worried about - eg the car still has finance one it ? ( I paid cash ) once the V5 comes back I’ll do my own hpi check if they still haven’t given me one..

In regards to the stone chips and wheel curbing. They offered me £50 good Will for the alloy wheel, stone chips I haven’t mentioned since they were so unhelpful in the first place. Front tyres are approx 60/70% worn too.
With regards the HPI report i wouldn't worry about it it will be clear if it wasn't mentioned before purchase.

Doesn't matter anyway, if the car is on the HPi register JCT600 are liable as being the last dealer to handle the car. During my many years as Fleet Disposals Manager for a major vehicle contract hire company 99.9% of the ex-fleet vehicles we sold were on the HPi register. They were settled when and only when we had sold them. If one was missed we were still liable. With a company as large as JCT it most certainly shouldn't be an issue, don't worry about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom