Hubcentric spigot rings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all

Need a bit of advice please , just had some new tyres put on the front of the little A class ( with brabus monoblock IV on it ) and they tell me that the centre bore of the wheels is bigger than the hub and that the wheel is not centring properly , basically the bolts are centring it , which is not good as the load is on the bolts.

I believe the hub is 66.6 mm ? But am struggling to find the centrebore spec of the brabus wheels , it has to be accurate to .1 of a mm apparently.

Does anyone know for sure what size it is ? I have found two sources in the US , one of which says 76mm and the other says 75.5 mm ?

Also , next question is , where to get them from ?

Many thanks in advance everyone !

H :)

I don't know what size you need but you can get them really cheap off ebay, I've had afew sets!

Cool , just need the Brabus bore now and I'll get looking :)

Dunno what the centrebore is but i'd of thought most garages should be happy enough to measure it for you, takes seconds with a vernier caliper or inside micrometer. You can buy digital 'vernier' calipers for well under a tenner and while they're properly nasty compared to £70+ worth of Mitutoyo they have exactly the same resolution and accuracy specs. They're just nowhere near as nicely made and not as smooth so the repeatability suffers. More than good enough for the job at hand though as when it comes to measuring inside diameters user error is a much bigger deal

On the off chance it turns out that the size you need is difficult or impossible to find off the shelf they're incredibly simple things to make for anyone with a lathe

I've read on other forums that people have had the same problem with the monoblock IV's on other MB's and they've overcome it with the hubcentric spigots , but no one has posted definitively what sizes they were ! Lol

They must exist , but the threads are all so old now.

I might buy a digital caliber and measure it up myself.

Alloywheeldirect sell fitting kits for Brabus wheels, always needed for MB models

Brabus Accessories and Brabus Badges from Alloy Wheels Direct

Thanks Peter but I don't want spacers , I have the brabus spacers on the rear ( w168 a class monoblock 4's need a 5mm spacer on the rear to drop the offset and widen the stance ) , they aren't meant to have spacers on the front.

The w168 monoblock 4 comes only in et54 offset IIRC , and you drop the rears to 49 using the 5mm spacer.

I'm presuming that when the wheels were refurbed the spigot rings that came with them from the factory were lost. :mad: I just never noticed.

I'll mail Brabus

Thanks everyone for ideas so far :)

I've ordered a digital vernier , and there seems to be every size imaginable on eBay , so it might be simple

Hi again chaps

Well , my digital caliper arrived and having sawn off the last three inches of it so that it fits inside the wheel , I have some measurements !

1st measurement is the hole which actually contacts the hub and is 75.8/9 mm

2nd measurement is where the wheel begins to taper towards the face and is 70.6/7 mm

Please see pictures ...

I'm guessing I need to order the larger size ? Incidentally , there is a rusty mark all the way round the hub about 5mm wide , which would correspond with the hole in the alloy being just under 10mm bigger than the hub which is 66.6 mm ( I measured to check )

Edit ...

Can't find any that size but can find 76.0 - 66.6 , how accurate do they have to be ? Will 0.1 mm make any difference ? The rings are plastic so is guessing that the wheel will fit over them ? Also , how accurate is a £5 digital caliper going to be ?

Last edited:
Any feedback from Brabus? Did you try contacting alloy wheels direct? If spigot rings are required they surely must supply them. The fitting kit/adapters could be spacers and/or rings.

Gotta be worth a phone call?

Not yet.

I've spoken to a company who supply pretty much every size you can imagine and they are of the opinion that the 76.0 mm will fit , and that they have never seen one for 75.8/9 mm.

It's only a fiver for 4 so I might just get them ordered , not much to lose if they don't fit.

The size of spigot ring you need is 76mm to 66.6. These can be bought very cheaply from the bay, £3-£5 for a set of 4. Taken from a site:

" The outside diameter of the spigot ring should fit the centre hole in the back of the wheel.

The inside diameter is the size of the wheel hub on the vehicle you intend to fit the wheels to"

Hope that helps Howard.

Just a little update on this.

Alternator started making funny noises last week ( think coffee grinder ) , so booked it in to be sorted , decided to ask them to do the drop links while it was in and fit the hubcentric rings that I hadn't got round to fitting after ordering them.

Holy Moly ...

The transformation is unreal , car feels 'solid' like my clk on the road now , no wobble or vagueness in the steering at all. No clonking from underneath ( drop links ) .... It's literally like a different car. Even my wife , who as long as it starts and goes from A to B and stays vaguely car shaped , she has zero interest in her car commented on how much different it feels.

Thanks everyone for all the help :)

Ps , I emailed Markus at Brabus , and wasn't expecting a reply to be honest , I mean , asking about a grands worth of old car , of no concern to Brabus at all. No money in it for them.

I had a reply the next day , detailing what I needed and advising on the original set up and spacer size. So , a big fat thumbs up to Markus at Brabus too. :thumb:

Last edited:
Just a little update on this.

Alternator started making funny noises last week ( think coffee grinder ) , so booked it in to be sorted , decided to ask them to do the drop links while it was in and fit the hubcentric rings that I hadn't got round to fitting after ordering them.

Holy Moly ...

The transformation is unreal , car feels 'solid' like my clk on the road now , no wobble or vagueness in the steering at all. No clonking from underneath ( drop links ) .... It's literally like a different car. Even my wife , who as long as it starts and goes from A to B and stays vaguely car shaped , she has zero interest in her car commented on how much different it feels.

Thanks everyone for all the help :)

Ps , I emailed Markus at Brabus , and wasn't expecting a reply to be honest , I mean , asking about a grands worth of old car , of no concern to Brabus at all. No money in it for them.

I had a reply the next day , detailing what I needed and advising on the original set up and spacer size. So , a big fat thumbs up to Markus at Brabus too. :thumb:
So what did he say? Was the 76 spigot ring the correct size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom