HUD availability on new cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob777

Car
C300 cabriolet
Good Morning All.

Recently joined this great forum

My order for my first MB is in, I'm going for the C300 cabriolet, shortly after placing the order the dealer tells me HUD won't be available. I really want this feature on the car so have deferred the build until it can be added

After doing some research I realised that HUD hasn't been available for a while. My September delivery won't happen now. HUD will be reinstated soon ( at some point )as tempted as I am I'll only regret not holding out for it

Is there anybody here in a similar situation or know roughly when MB will sort out this issue?

Rob

I know a two people who have recently taken delivery of a BMW and a Merc, and both have HUD. I was thinking I may get it next time around but for the extra £800-£1000 so I asked them what they thought of it.

They both said it was a nice gimmick, but both have now disabled it.

I'd have it if the system projected a TV or DVD image in your line of sight. Much safer than disabling VIM and having to take your eyes off the road to watch a film..........................................I'll get me coat! :doh:

I know a two people who have recently taken delivery of a BMW and a Merc, and both have HUD. I was thinking I may get it next time around but for the extra £800-£1000 so I asked them what they thought of it.

They both said it was a nice gimmick, but both have now disabled it.

Last month I drove a BMW 435i in the US with HUD and found it quite usefull. Not a must-have, but definitely more than a gimmick... I would consider this option when buying my next car.

Last month I drove a BMW 435i in the US with HUD and found it quite usefull. Not a must-have, but definitely more than a gimmick... I would consider this option when buying my next car.

I can imagine when driving overseas, HUD would be useful for the Sat Nav you can see on it in your line of sight, especially when driving on the "wrong" side of the road and dealing with unfamiliar road signage and the like.

For me, I'd hire a car with HUD if that option was available when abroad, but for the extra money to get it on a UK car I'd probably not bother.

I can imagine when driving overseas, HUD would be useful for the Sat Nav you can see on it in your line of sight, especially when driving on the "wrong" side of the road and dealing with unfamiliar road signage and the like.

For me, I'd hire a car with HUD if that option was available when abroad, but for the extra money to get it on a UK car I'd probably not bother.

To be honest it was not so much about the SatNav (I prefer to check the full screen anyway before taking turns etc), but I found it useful to be able to monitor my speed without having to look down to the instrument cluster from time to time.

I would have liked to have the same in the UK, driving through London the speed limits can change from 30 to 20 then back etc.

The digital speedometer option on my W204 comes close, and this is what I use most of the time.

I quite like HUD but MrsGnome doesn't so we didn't spec it on the new car that's on order and I felt that switching it off and on would be a pain. The dealer did ring up last week to say that our order would be pushed back 2-3 months if we still wanted the 360degree camera. Again reversing camera is fine so have dropped it and kept our beginning of September delivery date. However I do find it odd how much Mercedes seems to have fulfilling orders with some optional extras.

I have the HUD on constantly and find it really useful to check my current speed and the speed limit for the area, particularly in London where there are cameras everywhere.

Also tells you how far to your next navigation 'step', which I find useful on the motorway when you're taking the next off-ramp.

You can also zoom out on the main display to get a broader view of your route but still have next turn directions on the HUD.

Thank you to all that have commented on this thread so far

Quite a mixed bag of for & against. I realise that it probably wouldn't make a huge difference to the overall driving experience but as much as I'd like to get behind the wheel of my new Merc ( first time MB owner ) I will hold out. My current car is a XKR convertible, I'm still very happy with this car for now, especially the way it looks, the tech inside is woefully outdated (2012 model ) also don't feel the need for power it offers hence opting for the C300 instead of the AMG

I have just pinged an email off to MB UK in the vain attempt to find out when HUD will be reintroduced again - must admit don't hold out much hope of receiving any useful information back but will keep you posted with any updates

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead

I recently had the pleasure of driving a BMW M4 convertible for a weekend, it had HUD but cos I've never had/used HUD in a car before I found myself still looking down at the cluster when checking my speed cos quite simply I was forgetting the HUD was there!

I had HUD in my 535d a couple of years ago, well, 11 years ago now, god how time flies.

I bought the car used and would have never specced it new, however, I found it superb and surprised by now it has not become a standard feature in mid to high end cars.

Seeing your speed, road speed, revs and nav instructions floating in front of you was superb. Longer drives is when it came into its own, it is pretty amazing how fatiguing it can be to constantly look at your speedo, nav etc. after you have been in the car for hours, the HUD is so much easier to use.

Also it is amazing how when you glance at the HUD it is really clear but when you focus back on the road it shrinks.

HUD2.jpg

HUD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom