HUD, Yes or No. Decisions decisions

Should I add the Head up Display to my 350e

• Yes, it will prove to be worthwhile

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • No, probably a waste of money

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350e

Car
Mercedes C-Class 350e, Brilliant Blue
I have maybe just this weekend to decide if I want to add the Head up Display to my 350e.
What does anyone think about this option, waste of money or must have extra ?

If you want it, buy it.

If it incorporates infrared camera display, I'd go for it. If not, then what does it show that the clocks/gauges don't already? In answering this, you are selecting the option for yourself and not for the next person who is looking for "fully loaded" when it comes to trade in/sell.

YES
What sort of poll is this? Of COURSE you need a HUD.
Some man maths may be required though.

Driving in full electric mode, interior light dimmed to it's lowest setting, suspension at it's lowest level, checking for bogies out of my panoramic sunroof... Stealth Mode!
OK the Brilliant Blue colour and Burmester stereo totally blow that game out of the water but if I want to play fighter pilots in may car and I've got HUD as an option... hell yeah I'm gonna tick that box!

Not much option voting wise, I clicked yes, it would prove worthwhile but I didn't spec it as my budget wouldn't stretch to it.

Went for the 360 deg camera instead :)

How much is it?

I think if you don't get it, you'll permanently be looking through your bare windscreen thinking about what could have been.

I said no but it's personal opinion as I thought upgraded lights and tinted windows was far more important but I would have HUD over 360 cam tho as car parks it's self anyway ...but this is my opinion :thumb:

I think it will be the only extra, except different wheels, that I won't have. Have the panoramic roof, 360 camera, led lights and the tinted windows, I am sure all that I could have except the HUD.
My concern has been that I don't do much night driving, so that would be a good time for it, and in the day with the sun shining I worry about its ease of viewing.

Thanks all for your views. Has anyone had experience of the system ?

I think it will be the only extra, except different wheels, that I won't have. Have the panoramic roof, 360 camera, led lights and the tinted windows, I am sure all that I could have except the HUD.
My concern has been that I don't do much night driving, so that would be a good time for it, and in the day with the sun shining I worry about its ease of viewing.

I had a petrol demo with it and have ordered my C350e with it. The daytime view is great. It solves all the problems I have in my CLS. You can have the speed limit displayed and your speed. The nav is also handy as unlike the Comand view it gives the distance to the next turn. In the CLS if you want the distance to next manouvre you can only get that by displaying the Nav in the display and then you lose the speed and have to rely on the obscure speedometer ! First option I ticked having used it.

What does anyone think about this option, waste of money or must have extra ?

Depends no whether you get can 'good tone' and some appropriate guided ordnance to go with it.

I have it on my C300h and it's great, especially in situations where you really need to keep your eyes constantly on the road. What I also like about it is that I do not need to use the small central display on the dashboard (the one between the analogue speedometer and the rev counter) as digital speedometer anymore, as the HUD suits that purpose perfectly, as well as displaying basic sat-nav information if appropriate. I can therefore use the central display to manage the media player, or anything else.

As far as visibility is concerned, this is my personal chart, just to give you an idea:

1) At night - 100% - Spectacular!
2) During the day (but not in direct sunlight) - 85%
3) During the day in direct sunlight - 60%
4) During the day with normal sunglasses on - 50% (you need to concentrate a bit to actually see the information on the HUD)
5) During the day with polarised sunglasses on - 25% (you can still see something displayed on the windscreen on, but it takes so much concentration that it defeats the actual purpose of having a HUD in the first place).

Would I buy it again? Yes, especially because summer is almost over :-(

@fab1975

Really helpful and thank you so much. I suspect that your account will be read and appreciated by many :)

@fab1975

Really helpful and thank you so much. I suspect that your account will be read and appreciated by many :)

My pleasure :) And thank you for taking the time to comment :) I have been retrieving so much valuable information from this forum since I joined 1 year ago that I am only happy to have the chance to contribute with my 0.0002p of wisdom every now and then ;-)

@fab1975
I would be interested to read about your experience with the C300, particularly the hybrid system, and wonder if you have posted a thread ?

@fab1975
I would be interested to read about your experience with the C300, particularly the hybrid system, and wonder if you have posted a thread ?

I've not posted anything like a full review yet, but only comments on specific aspects. My idea was to wait until October and then write a summary of my first 6 months with the C300h.
However I can already tell you that overall I am really pleased with it. There is not anything massively wrong with it, only minor issues. Just to give you an idea, my biggest rant was about a rattling noise coming from the front Burmester speaker, which is hardly a life threatening matter... especially because MB has not done anything about it yet... and I am still here.
As for the engine itself, I love it. The shift from electric to diesel and vice versa is very smooth and with the agility control + optional AirMatic suspension it is like having 3 cars in one. I would be really curious to read about the C350e, as I have been seriously thinking about it for quite some time before deciding to go for the C300h.
Good luck with your purchase, you won't be disappointed at all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom