Huge delays changing Radio station?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenB

Car
MM16VRK
Hi All,

I have a 2016 C Class C350e.
I like the car on the whole with the exception being the stereo. My main gripe is the constant lag when trying to do anything.

Pushing the control joy stick thing to the side to change the radio station often doesn't look like it's registered the attempt to change channel, and then 20 second later it changes.

I've also had huge delays hanging up phone called.

I've had the dealership check the firmware on the car to choosing need the best part of £100 for the privilege only to be told it's working fine (which it clearly isn't). The issue is that sometimes it will work ok (ish) but most the time is poor.

Do others have the same experience of the car radio?

Sounds odd. The joy stick thing is prone to fail on a C-class but I thought that should be a mechanical issue, would not cause any control delays.

Does it happen with FM radio as well as DAB and other audio sources? Sound on radio is fine, should not come from a bad antenna anyway if phone controls are equally delayed.

Do you have navigation at some "normal" zoom level and displayed contents set to a reasonable level? Just thinking of some car tests reporting display lag when the navi screen was all zoomed out and set to show street names and everything. Made the device busy. No experience but I wouldn't expect controls having priority over display.

Perhaps a misbehaving device on the same CAN as the head unit blocking the bus with excessive messages? Diagnosis should show a bunch of events from lost can messages.

Just thinking out loud here, no idea about the issue really. Hopefully someone has seen it at knows the how to fix it.

Talk to these people : Catalog

They are Forum sponsors and experts in Mercedes electronics.

My 2016 e class sounds similar to what you are experiencing. I can move between my preset radio stations, and initially it shows the radio station and mast symbol on the display greyed out with a line through it, then ten or so seconds later it will find it and spring to life.

Are you switching between digital stations and possibly even digital radio networks?

I've seen a few issue which sound roughly the same as this where the radio stations won't change or really slow and it after much testing and checking the dab control unit was replaced and the system reset

Are you switching between digital stations and possibly even digital radio networks?
My issue is always between preset dab stations and all within the same geographical area so it’s not like it should be searching for the signal on different frequencies like if I was moving around the country. In fact I can be listening to a station move to another because I don’t like a song then move back to the first one and it cant find it for a period of time. Once it finds it the quality is absolutely fine with no signal loss.

Try unplugging your phone charger and see if that improves things.

Sounds odd. The joy stick thing is prone to fail on a C-class but I thought that should be a mechanical issue, would not cause any control delays.

Does it happen with FM radio as well as DAB and other audio sources? Sound on radio is fine, should not come from a bad antenna anyway if phone controls are equally delayed.

Do you have navigation at some "normal" zoom level and displayed contents set to a reasonable level? Just thinking of some car tests reporting display lag when the navi screen was all zoomed out and set to show street names and everything. Made the device busy. No experience but I wouldn't expect controls having priority over display.

Perhaps a misbehaving device on the same CAN as the head unit blocking the bus with excessive messages? Diagnosis should show a bunch of events from lost can messages.

Just thinking out loud here, no idea about the issue really. Hopefully someone has seen it at knows the how to fix it.
This is when switching between DAB radio stations. It's normally present stations as it was too painful with other stations.

I don't use the SatNav in the car, Google maps on my phone is so much better to use.

I've seen a few issue which sound roughly the same as this where the radio stations won't change or really slow and it after much testing and checking the dab control unit was replaced and the system reset
When you say reset, worked correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom