Huge discount R231 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow

Makes you feel for those who bought new without much discount until relatively recently - must surely hurt residuals pretty bad.

A friend snaffled a similar (one third) discount on a 2019 SL63 last year, although that may have been a pre-registered car.

I got mine (brand new order to my spec), with a retail price of £85k, for £62k......smiles all the way.

Prices are good when they want to move stock but you have to be lucky to get exactly what you want and at this point also accept that next year you are going to be driving the 'old' model.

Looks like they now want to move old stock to make space for the new 2021 model (new shape etc and might not have a folding hardtop).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just highlights how overpriced new cars are at present.

It also highlights what manufacturers' UK distributors are having to do to catch up with 4-6 months worth of lost sales.

Don't cry for them, Marge and Tina, the truth is they've got 12 months worth of overheads and salaries to cover with only eight months worth of sales - into a market where some have a lot of money, and others don't.

Still, we like depreciation, don't we ?

It will be a soft top like the S-Coupe :(
Yep it seems so. Many not happy about that. The difference in the SL and SLK with open/closed roof is like driving two different cars. I wonder if the soft top is going to achieve this.

Just been offered 30% discount on an extended warranty.....does that mean they have confidence in the reliability and I don't really need it ???

Just been offered 30% discount on an extended warranty.....does that mean they have confidence in the reliability and I don't really need it ???
Had you already made an enquiry or did you receive the offer out of the blue? How long until your manufacturers warranty expires?

Had you already made an enquiry or did you receive the offer out of the blue? How long until your manufacturers warranty expires?

Mine expired in April. The offer arrived in the post yesterday. Phone in only!! I did enquire around April.

It is a bit of a conumdrium. Are they offering (discounted) cover because they are confident the car won't break down and cost them money? Then I don't need extended warranty.

So far there appears to have been very few reported issues on the R231 (going on 10 years old now).

[/QUOTE]
Mine expired in April. The offer arrived in the post yesterday. Phone in only!! I did enquire around April. It is a bit of a conumdrium. Are they offering (discounted) cover because they are confident the car won't break down and cost them money? Then I don't need extended warranty. So far there appears to have been very few reported issues on the R231 (going on 10 years old now).

The warranty prices were hugely increased maybe the take up has been low and that is the reason why.

I wonder about warranties - people talk about having £1000s of repairs done under extended warranties. If warranty claims were common why are warranties then relatively cheap? I guess their risk analysts reckon it is a money maker for them.

I'm inclined to self-insure and hopefully never need an expensive repair (I do very low milage).

Makes you feel for those who bought new without much discount until relatively recently - must surely hurt residuals pretty bad.

residuals are terrible already ..

this stock clearance sale is unsurprising as R231 production has now ended

stonking deal. If the colour combination was more interesting, I would be tempted

my only issues have been the headlight - different to yours as pre facelift - and electric wind deflector mesh coming loose (in 2016). Other than these, nothing. Car is now 5.25 years old at 31k miles. I self insure.

It might be a push to bring in cash now, due to poor balance sheet at Merc HQ, as a result of coronavirus.

& hoping or knowing that their risk of claims is low......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom