Hughes 300CE TT - blown turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

(Note to self: you do NOT have time to take this on as a project!)

Here you go: MERCEDES CE AMG TWIN TURBO only 24 made,great project on eBay (end time 04-Oct-09 20:01:15 BST)

White, AMG kitted but rather poorly twin turbo 300CE. One of the original ones done by Hughes?

Spoke to another forumite who said that it was on Ebay a year or so ago, but didn't sell. Now it's a £1000 start and he's keen to sell.

It`s been for sale a few times.Shame though cos it looks nice,but very poor spec

You'd think he'd have learnt so spell Saarfend-on-sea by now...

Might have blown a piston or 2 instead of a turbo
turbo is an easy fix, but a lown piston means hauling the engine out.

Its not far from me but I would be dead if I even thought about it.

Mark

Might have blown a piston or 2 instead of a turbo

Funnily enough, that's exactly what someone else warned me about. I suppose there are squillions of 300E engines around...

Funnily enough, that's exactly what someone else warned me about. I suppose there are squillions of 300E engines around...
As far as i know on the original TT engines,there was work on the engine done to.So the pistons might be diffrent to standart.I stand to be corrected though

AFAIK standard pistons and shortened rods

Nick Froome

AFAIK standard pistons and shortened rods

Nick Froome

Yes - the Pistons were stock and the rods were actually stock rods with the small end rebushed to drop the gudgeon pin by 1mm

I think it has probably done a couple of ring lands and the oil is from a lack of cylinder wall oil control. Its pretty easy to tell if you know what you are looking for and the seller will let you take a couple of hoses off.

Mark

with modern piggy back like the split second, or full standalone a std engine could be used, the lowerd comp was due to technology of the day being unable to control afr, so a std 12v engine could be used. ed in usa is runnin 350 bhp with std engine.

the explination of how the failure occured, along with the symtoms, points to a piston failure to me, the car is a good starter for parts for someone who wants to build a tt.

i would be tempted, but i've got other fish to fry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom