Hughes of Aylesbury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lazarus

Car
2010 CLS 350CDI Grand Edition; 1994 Subaru SVX, Black; 2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0Rn
Hi,

Just booked my C-Class in for an 'A' Service at Hughes of Aylesbury, they quoted me a maximum of £230 inc VAT, and have offered me a courtesy car, but want £10 to cover insurance (which isn't too bad IMHO).

Anyone had any good or bad experiences with the Aylesbury branch? I've read several varying threads regarding the Beaconsfield branch...

Laz.
--

Mine used to go there previously, when it was still living in Aylesbury. Had a couple of minor issues, but nothing outstanding. Certainly competent and a fair level of service.

They are good but are relcutacnt to do "while u wait jobs" and a task that shoudl take no longer than a couple of hrs they want to keep the car for the whole day and send u packing off BUT they are competent...

apart from seeing a mechanic ram an E class up the kerb and drive at 30mph half on the road half on the grass...

and the clk in the showroom with a flat battery (so the window wasnt dropped, so looked 'wrong' (pointed out to salesman, who just looked bored and said the battery has gone flat)

Parts guys are great tho' ;)

guydewdney said:
apart from seeing a mechanic ram an E class up the kerb and drive at 30mph half on the road half on the grass...

I would personally have taken the registraion plate of the car and reported it... It does not surpirse me that this happens and the best one was when I saw a Greenoaks technician (Slough) do this to a brand new M Class... and reported it to them and they tried to deny it was one of their cars... just yards away from their Stealership... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not sure how much their operation is hindered by the fact the place seems to be mostly demolished right now!

Flash said:
I would personally have taken the registraion plate of the car and reported it... It does not surpirse me that this happens and the best one was when I saw a Greenoaks technician (Slough) do this to a brand new M Class... and reported it to them and they tried to deny it was one of their cars... just yards away from their Stealership... :rolleyes:

I did - i asked to see the service manager - i didnt get the number - but it was bein driven by a mechanic (overalls) and was a grey shiney E class saloon - not exactly uncommon. He was not interested. Seriously. His reply was somthing like that it was fine to go around otehr cars on the keb... yes - but not to RAM it up the kerb - I would have lamped him if it was MY car...

They did a good job when I took my C class in for its first service. Courtesy car I booked was late back, but they where straight on the phone to a local hire firm, brand new astra delivered in 10mins, they also enabled the navi display for free. going back in next week for its second service. They asked if I wanted to wait or have a courtesy car, taken the second option. will report back on their service this time next week

Laz,

I will be very interested in the outcoe of the service you recieve for your "older" model.

Graham

Guys, it's Friday so will let you know, though the idea of an Astra as a courtesy car is dodgy, was hoping for an MB.

Laz.
--

Ok, so here's an update:

Got there this morning, and the courtesy car was waiting for me, silver '04 A160 Auto, which is ok. Staff very friendly and polite.
They are having a lot of work done on the showroom, but the garage part looks to be untouched, parked next to 4 CL55 AMGs :cool:

Got a call later this morning telling me that I needed some extra work doing balljoints, steering damper and brake fluid change and they gave me a straight answer on price (not cheap :eek: ), and they have all the parts in stock so will have the work done today.

I'm not surprised about the ball joints and the steering damper, as I've seen several threads on them being a bit suspect, and I do hammer the car, been doing over 1000 miles a week for the last few weeks - mostly motorway - managed to strech the service interval to over 16,000 miles.

Will post another update when I get the car back!

Laz.
--

Been meaning to post an update.

Well, apart from the bill (I know 3-pointed star = big bills), I must say I was very impressed with the whole experience with dealing with Hughes in Aylesbury.

As mentioned before, the service reception staff were all polite, as was the service manager who was "looking after me". The A-Class had a full tank of fuel, and was waiting for me when I arrived - no fuss (unlike certain Subaru garages I could mention).

I was originally booked in for an 'A' service, but the inspection revealed quite a bit of extra work which was clearly detailed to me on the phone and I was given a maximum price to which I agreed.

They called me to tell me that the car was ready, again very polite. When I got there my car had been valeted inside and out, and the price was £80 less than the maximum price quoted.

The work I had done was:

'A' Service
Replace left and right lower front ball joints
Replace steering damper
Replace left and right steering knuckle joints
Replace front left and right brake discs and pads
Bleed and replace fluid in brake system
Replace indicator bulbs x 4
'Extended' corrosion inspection (hmm MobilioLife I suspect)

Quoted maximum £790 came in at just over £710 inc. VAT.

Ok - so not cheap, but the car seems much taughter since the steering work was done, is sounding quieter, overall I am relatively happy.

I know that everyone raves on about the W124 as the last solid Merc, but there is no rust on my '202 and even at 126,000 miles it feels as if with regular servicing, it'll go on for ever (I've done 18.5k in it since August, and am doing nearly 2k a week at the moment).

Laz.
--

Last edited:
Laz, good write up mate, glad the experience was satisfactory for you (even if your poor old wallet took a good right hander!).

Quick Q, as I've got the same engine: have you ever had your tranny oil replaced? I had mine done at 98K (now on 155) and it made such a difference.

But I agree, mine feels like it has a few years left in it yet.

ATB,
Greg

GregE240 said:
Quick Q, as I've got the same engine: have you ever had your tranny oil replaced? I had mine done at 98K (now on 155) and it made such a difference.

Hi Greg,

Not as far as I know, but have definitely been thinking about it, perhaps a job to try out an independant?

Out of interest, how much did your transmission oil change cost?

Laz.
--

Parts alone is about £100 .. oil, filter, gasket.

Lazarus said:

Laz.
--

Lazarus said:
Hi Greg,

Not as far as I know, but have definitely been thinking about it, perhaps a job to try out an independant?

Laz.
--
I had mine done at an independent, cost was around a ton. A dealer will probably try and either tell you it doesn't need doing, or charge around £200 for what is a relatively easy job.

Had car serviced today, They gave me an E270 Elegance CDI estate, even had a UHI phone with swappable cradles, They installed the cradle for my 6130i,no charge for insurance either.Service completed new glovebox ordered under warranty as was the window regulator.

Well impressed with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom